Are gangs evil?

Even though what they do is illegal, compared to drug dealers and their families, who do ten times more evil things, and thugs, I don't think given the history, gangs are evil. Crips and Bloods started as a protest against police brutality, when the law was not on their side. I don't think crips and bloods are evil people, just those who feel they have no voice. Same with the Mafia, which didn't start off as a crime family but one who defended themselves against the invasions of Italy by the Goths.

Image for post Are gangs evil?
57% Yes 21% No 21% Other
AdamNYs avatar
1 23

I havent studied the origin of gangs nor have i lived where gangs are prevailent. But i think that intent isnt evil but the outcome is. Many young people join out of despair.

Yeah, I'm thinking they are. They are designed to benefit no one - not even themselves. Their members die young, typically uneducated, impact neighborhoods negatively, and strain law enforcement resources.

@Budwick Yeah, I'm thinking they are. They are designed to benefit no one - not even themselves. Their members die young...

But what about the origins. I agree the more years go by the more they're twisted, but originally it was to unite against oppression. The Black Panthers were technically a gang.

@AdamNY But what about the origins. I agree the more years go by the more they're twisted, but originally it was to unite...

You didn't ask about the origins.

Your summary of the origins of the Bloods and Crips is serious;ly flawed I believe. Neither has any association with civil rights or community activism. The Crips originated as high school groups whose sole goal was to create conflict. The Bloods developed as a rival of the Crips.

There is nothing redeeming about either group in my opinion.

I'd seriously be interested in your sources Adam. I've not seen anything even close to that.

Gangs are organized groups of criminals. Illegal gambling, extortion, smuggling, drug dealing, kidnapping, theft, robbery, forgery, prostitution rings, murder for hire... Criminality has ALWAYS been THE defining trait of gangs, no matter what culture the gang is in. If they weren't criminals uniting to commit crimes, it wouldn't be a gang, it would be something else, a club or a society or whatever. The Black Panthers were a political organization.

@AdamNY http://conocer-sanabria.com/pag...ps-and-bloods/ Are what gangs do always right, but compared to...

They're only different by degree. Street gangs are low level, mostly into drug dealing and theft, other forms of mafia are very high level, but they're all based around organized criminal activity for power and profit.

@Maze They're only different by degree. Street gangs are low level, mostly into drug dealing and theft, other forms of...

I think thugs are worse morally than gangs. They don't care who they hurt. Gangs are only more problemic cause they're in big numbers.

@AdamNY I think thugs are worse morally than gangs. They don't care who they hurt. Gangs are only more problemic cause...

Gangs exploit the financial opportunities that are available to them. Where gambling is illegal, they run gambling. Where prostitution is illegal, they control prostitution. Where drugs are illegal, they control drugs. If none of that is available, they shake people down for protection money. It's about territorial control and profit.

@Maze Gangs exploit the financial opportunities that are available to them. Where gambling is illegal, they run gambling...

Really I thought gangs care more about respect and bonding rather than those things. Whereas the real criminals tend to want to take things over. What you're saying is true of gangsters like those in the movie "Fresh."

@AdamNY Really I thought gangs care more about respect and bonding rather than those things. Whereas the real criminals...

"I thought gangs care more about respect and bonding rather than those things."

Sure, fellowship is part of the allure of gang life, but so is profit. In practice, gangs function as pyramid schemes for drug distribution, and in spite of the risks they take, most of their members would make more money if they got a minimum wage job.

@Maze "I thought gangs care more about respect and bonding rather than those things." Sure, fellowship is part of the...

A lot of these gangs aren't evil by nature. Many of them were formed by those who either had no parents or were frustrated with the discrimination they felt or the lack of voice. The Crips in reality were founded to fight police brutality.

I'm not saying gangs don't do illegal things to get money. I'm not arguing that. But I mean the real high-level evil crimes associated with cartels and drug-dealing families I can't say I've seen that.

For instance, I can see Bumpy Jonas from "Shaft" being evil. I can't see O-Dawg being as evil.

@AdamNY For instance, I can see Bumpy Jonas from "Shaft" being evil. I can't see O-Dawg being as evil.

Where do you think the drugs come from? Most street gangs aren't directly part of the big mafia outfits, but they do the street level distribution of drugs and liquidation of stolen property. They're a primary integration point between the big players and the public.

Basically. A lot of people join gangs more from a desire for fellowship than a desire to do bad things, but doing bad things does tend to come with the territory when you're in a gang.

@Maze Basically. A lot of people join gangs more from a desire for fellowship than a desire to do bad things, but doing...

A lot were formed in fight against police brutality (as was the case in the Crips) and against invaders such as the Goths (as the case was with the Mafia).

Drug-dealing families are ten times more evil.

@AdamNY A lot were formed in fight against police brutality (as was the case in the Crips) and against invaders such as the...

I hate to break it to you, but I'm pretty sure the Crips earn most of their money from dealing in drugs and stolen property. Got to get that paper...

@Maze I hate to break it to you, but I'm pretty sure the Crips earn most of their money from dealing in drugs and stolen...

I think that's still kinda rare. A good example of this would be the movie "South Central" (bad example but it's fairly realistic). The main drug dealing villains in those movie were a crime family run by a man called the Kansas City smackman, aka Genie Lamp, not Bobby Johnson and his gangs. Are there gangs who deal? Definitely, but I still don't it's as common with street gangs as the cartels in Mexico or the crime famiies they would do that.

@AdamNY I think that's still kinda rare. A good example of this would be the movie "South Central" (bad example but it's...

Elements within the western intelligence establishment have been at the head of the global drug trade since the opium wars. That's why its illegal, it keeps the price up and allows them to take out any competition. It also allows them to prevent blacks from voting, since drug possession is a felony and felons cannot vote. That's why drug enforcement is disproportionately directed towards black neighborhoods. It also provides tenants for private prisons and it provides corporations with a source of cheap labor. They spread the disease, they apply the treatment.

Anonymous