Is paypal taking safety too far?

Today I went Christmas shopping got everything I needed. When I went to pay for it with my paypal card it was declined. That isn't right I have $2,000.00 dollars on that card prepaid. So I checked my balance again, yes my money is there. So I called paypal. The guy made me give him lots of old transactions to prove I was looking at the right account. Then he tells me paypal is freezing cards to prevent fraud and such. How good is this, to protect me they shut my card down.? Now that cashier thinks I am a low life who goes over credit limits. Be warned carry cash to buy your gifts just in case.

57% Yes Stupid credit cards 0% No - I want them to waste my time just in case. 43% Other
LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundreds avatar Technology
3 12

I use PayPal and never had a problem..

I've never had a PayPal card though..

@DandyDon I use PayPal and never had a problem.. I've never had a PayPal card though..

Oh the card is usually very good, I can put money on it and never use a real credit card. I would have recommended it before today - now not so much.

I think the process they use is the same for many debit cards. I have one through Virgin called Global Velocity. I have my regular actual Amex Card, but with the Global Velocity card I put money on just the same as you, but for whatever reason, you can use it somewhere .... i find more than twice at the same store in the one day will do it, and they automatically freeze the card and you have to phone them up as you did, and quote all these things to them. I usually only use the card for online purchases and if I do use it when I'm out, if I have an issue, I just hand over my amex before the embarrassment kicks in.

OzSurfers avatar OzSurfer Yes Stupid credit cards +1Reply
@OzSurfer I think the process they use is the same for many debit cards. I have one through Virgin called Global Velocity...

Oz, really thanks for letting me know I am not alone in that situation. Cash has got to be better. Too bad I often drop it.

@LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred Oz, really thanks for letting me know I am not alone in that situation. Cash has got to be better. Too bad I often...

No worries! Finding the right method for a transaction is actually complicated especially if you travel a lot. Cash is fine until you realise that you may need to carry around enough that might get you mugged or be a concern if you lose it.

Credit cards are ideal until you find that you shop somewhere and don't trust the vendors with your card, like quoting it online etc.

So that leaves us with a debit card. So I use it just for those occasions. For instance if I'm buying something online from a vendor I've never shopped through or like ebay etc, I'll put just enough cash onto my debit card to meet the requirements of the transaction. Then if they try and take more, they won't be able to, whereas with a credit card they can, and you have to go to all the trouble of reporting an unauthorised transaction with your card company.

I posted this at least a week ago..Why in the world is it up again :?)

@LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred I posted this at least a week ago..Why in the world is it up again :?)

I've had some of my posts reposted on the homepage a few times without my doing it - no clue why.

It depends on what they're basing it on. If they have some sort of fact pattern that the thieves use and shut down any card that uses that fact pattern, then they might do a lot more good than bad. But they also might wrongly get a few a little bad as well.

It all depends on what they're basing their decisions on, how good is the info they have, what their decisions are and what the bad guys do... it's all a cat and mouse game for them. Sometimes they get the mouse, sometimes they get baby kitten caught in the trap as it was innocently checking out the trap.

With out more information, it's very hard to tell with those things.

@Zolfie It depends on what they're basing it on. If they have some sort of fact pattern that the thieves use and shut down...

I asked them what triggered it the person I talked to had no idea, I better reinstate a bank card they are local so I can walk into the bank and get real answers. .

@LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred I asked them what triggered it the person I talked to had no idea, I better reinstate a bank card they are local...

Yeah I was always taught to have someone local when it came to money. You might have something more awesome further away that you want some of your money in, but always keep some local to, in case you need it quickly and nearby for some reason.

I'm thinking of switching to cash soon. Just yesterday I tried to buy some parts at the auto store, handed them my card, they struggled a bit like some do (y'know the types), then asked for my pin because that's what the screen told them to do. I actually LOL'ed in person, because no way in hell am I telling them my pin. They claimed it had something to do with their new chip readers (which I can't stand either).

Yeah... cash might just be the easiest option after all.

facemans avatar faceman Yes Stupid credit cards 0Reply

Paypal was run by dingbats right from the start. I and a few thousand others quit doing business with that outfit about seven years ago. So many people refuse to deal with Paypal that some sites have had to offer an alternate way of paying for their products.

Anonymous