+7

Coal workers in the US when we had no regulations nor unions. You don't need to be a communist to at least have some common sense. Amirite?

Image for post Coal workers in the US when we had no regulations nor unions. You don't need to be a communist to at least have some common sense. Amirite?
Mcflys avatar Politics
5 37
The voters have decided that Mcfly is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

Sadly, with the coal industry re-invigorated, hiring people across appalachia we now have what appears to be a new surge in black-lung reports. Thought to have been nearly eradicated thanks to regulatory pressures. We can anticipate a continued and accelerated growth as more miners are hired in these very underprivileged communities.

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2...g-disease.html

VicZincs avatar VicZinc Yeah You Are +4Reply

Mike Golash, former union president, admits "progressive labor is a revolutionary communist organization". Their objective is "to make revolution in the United States, overthrow the capitalist system and build communism."

@faceman Mike Golash, former union president, admits "progressive labor is a revolutionary communist organization". Their...

OMG, this Golash is typical of the few remaining old-line communists that have learned NOTHING from the past century.

Yes, Comrade Golash, by all means let's study the Russian and Chinese efforts to build communism, and let's see if maybe we can figure some way to do it without killing tens of millions of people. wt smilie

@Thinkerbell OMG, this Golash is typical of the few remaining old-line communists that have learned NOTHING from the past...

I honestly don't think they'd mind killing millions of their own people. The other guy on the video even admits to being an enemy of our military, that they're not pacifists and that they anticipate an eventual confrontation.

On the bright side, these elements have been around since the late 1800's at least, and could just be the norm of living in a free society - to have to suffer fools like these. They do seem to be picking up steam though, especially with the appearance of Bernie Sanders this last election cycle. Might as well have been Karl Marx himself.

@faceman I honestly don't think they'd mind killing millions of their own people. The other guy on the video even admits to...

Indeed we do have to suffer fools like Golash and Sanders, but I think Sanders represents the greater ideological danger.

I'm not concerned that we face a violent communist revolution, but Fabian socialism has been creeping up on us for 100 years or more.

@Thinkerbell Indeed we do have to suffer fools like Golash and Sanders, but I think Sanders represents the greater ideological...

And I think Sanders could've pulled it off too, had Hillary not won the nomination. Too many people are addicted to other people's money. We may have dodged a couple bullets this year.

@faceman And I think Sanders could've pulled it off too, had Hillary not won the nomination. Too many people are addicted...

Face man I so agree with you Too many people are addicted to other people's money. Everyone in USA should take care of themselves unless they are disabled or old no more checks from the government is my belief.

Tinkerbell --Wow someone finally sees there was a big problem with Sanders, and the whole democratic party for that matter.

Without knowing the details on what regulations the new administration plans to lessen or eliminate entirely, it's difficult for me to feel strongly about this yet. My intuition tells me it's not good, but I still don't know.

What I do know though is that labor unions formed for a reason. The reason being that many people are happy to make unimaginable wealth at the expense of others. History all but proves this.

Before there were labor unions in the United States, there were no such things as sick time, overtime, 40 hour work weeks, health and safety standards, child labor laws, social security, etc.. If you got injured or maimed on the job, touch shit. If you cannot contribute, you do not get paid. If you became too old to work, same deal.

For the same reason - people happily making money at others' expense - many of our current regulations are very beneficial to us. I personally don't want lead in my paint. I don't want to wear a mask to help me breath the air, and I certainly don't want to pay for another banking bailout.

PhilboydStudges avatar PhilboydStudge Yeah You Are +2Reply

Speaking of communists, coal mines and common sense...

@Maze Speaking of communists, coal mines and common sense...

I heard that providing a balalaika orchestra increased coal production by 50%. biggrin smilie

@2454327

I would argue that we need to get over the idea that 'everyone' needs to work. We need a new economic model were only a few people work to support everyone else.

I know - that commie!

But it doesn't have to be 'commie' - we need a new frame of reference, I don't what that is.

Maybe individuals own the robots? and collect payment based on the robots productivity? Whatever its is, there will never again be enough manual jobs for everyone to work 40 hours a week doing actual labor.

VicZincs avatar VicZinc Yeah You Are +2Reply
@VicZinc I would argue that we need to get over the idea that 'everyone' needs to work. We need a new economic model were...

OK, so reduce the work week to 25 or 30 hours, or whatever is necessary for production to meet everyone's needs, while maintaining something like full employment. I think its demoralizing for able-bodied people to sit around idle and useless collecting a lifetime dole.

@2454473

I work for an organisation that has about 25,000 employees and their mandate is to make as many of us part time/casual as possible. So far there's about 16,000 who work about 30 hours a week and I'm one of them. It actually reduces their labour costs here since unions lost most of their power. I'd love to work more hours because 30 hours a week only just covers living expenses and as you said doesn't pay for health insurance, allow to save for retirement and whenever they decide they don't want one of us to work and sometimes give as little as 45 minutes notice, we don't get paid. They've shut down for 2 weeks over christmas, so no pay either. It's really tough but apparently it's the future and many employers say it's to their financial benefit to have casual employees and not full time ones. I wish they were wrong but finding a full time job is like winning lotto although i have a plan for getting full time work again. Yet try and rent an apartment or get any kind of loan or credit without a full time job and you get knocked back. I tell younger people who are entering college now to study for professional careers where full time employees will always be required. I really dread the thought of getting sick for any length of time as I've seen many dismissed who have been. This is another reason why people get into and stay in relationships, the double income gives them an extra level of financial security.

@2457155

Thanks! and yes I think most of us that have been working 10 or more years ago were generally better off with their careers and the work place in general. I think it's much more difficult for young people these days. Good luck with your retirement, I think it's a good time to be in a position not to have to work.

@2454473

But wouldn't you have made the same arguments 100 years or so ago, when the standard work week was reduced from 48 or more hours to 40?

It worked then, why not now?

@2454706

Ok, let's assume for the sake of discussion that there were more jobs than workers to fill them 100 years ago. That would certainly NOT have applied during the Great Depression, when in fact most of the reductions to the 40-hour week took place.

"June 25, 1938: Congress passed the Fair Labor Standards Act, which limited the workweek to 44 hours.

June 26, 1940: Congress amended the Fair Labor Standards Act, limiting the workweek to 40 hours. The act went into effect on October 24, 1940."

http://www.businessinsider.com/...rkweek-2015-10

I think it can safely be said that up until about 1973, real median family income more or less matched gains in productivity, and this would of course include having to work fewer hours, and would also indicate that the factors you mentioned were by no means decisive.

If household incomes had continued to keep pace with productivity after 1973, there would have been no problem reducing the number of hours to, say, 30 per week, and still maintain present standards of living. Yet something clearly happened in the early to mid 70s that precluded that.

The reasons for it depend on whom you ask.

P.S. My apologies that the graphs didn't copy very clearly. The upper one shows wages (magenta) and productivity (blue) since 1890. The lower one shows the changes in real median family income (red) and productivity (blue) since 1947.

@2455022

Yes, outsourcing is one of the possibilities, but I need to research exactly how productivity is calculated. If, for example, it is simply something like the GDP divided by the number of American workers, but part of that GDP comes from the labor of workers in other countries, then the productivity figures would be rather deceiving, and that would go a long way toward explaining what is going on.

If, on the other hand, it is the total goods and services produced strictly in the US divided by the number of American workers, then I don't understand why American household income should have stayed so flat, unless it is because of the mere threat of outsourcing.

Of course, I've had liberals tell me it was because of the evil, union-busting Republicans that it happened (or because of Reagan, even though he didn't take office until 8 years after the flat line's inception), but it has persisted unchanged no matter who or what party was in office.

@2454317

DW - Why hasn't anyone thought of that before - that should become law? Coal Miners have been getting sick forever, probably safety devices should be an osha requirement.

Because only true russian communists have common sense.

I agree no unions. What does that have to do with communists?

@LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred I agree no unions. What does that have to do with communists?

I believe the OP is suggesting that we need labor unions and regulations. Previously, unchecked capitalism has led to the exploitation of labor. Thus the picture of the children coal miners.

Many people believe the line between labor unions and communism are blurred.

PhilboydStudges avatar PhilboydStudge Yeah You Are +1Reply

Getting back to the original question: "You don't need to be a communist to at least have some common sense. Amirite?"

Go to http://englishrussia.com and look around. It's getting close to thirty years since the communist regime collapsed and they are STILL grieving for the glory that used to be.

Coal miners are dirty and smelly deplorables.

@Monty Coal miners are dirty and smelly deplorables.

And you are having trouble finding friends?
Shocking.

I've never come across a commie with common sense.

Anonymous