Should old cartoons edit out the racist imagery? Why/why not?

This is censorship. It's paramount to banning books because they may have unpopular ideas.
I think "Tom and Jerry" (and maybe they have) should never edit out the Mammy Two Shoes character scenes.
Besides, not all of these scenes were racist, and even the ones that were should be there for viewing and education as to why racism is wrong. It's not right to censor something cause their views are not morally right.
Unlike idiots like Beltran. At least there there's a reason to fire someone. Who likes an annoying idiot who thinks the moon was never landed on. But on things like racism, bigotry, we shouldn't censor that cause they're ideas we don't like.

0% Yes 100% No 0% Other
AdamNYs avatar
0 15

Things were made that were a product of their time.Be they cartoons, books, whatever. They should not be censored because in these more enlightened times they would be offensive if made or written today.I remember reading a book called ' The a Little N****r Boy ' as a kid. I can't believe that the book is even available today but it was in my school library.Once you start , where do you stop?

That's censorship.

There is no racist imagery in old cartoons. The idea of racist imagery in cartoons was created by race hustlers. There was, is and always will be stereotypes that are depicted in comedy. (Of all races, backgrounds and status)

@JustJimColo There is no racist imagery in old cartoons. The idea of racist imagery in cartoons was created by race hustlers...

I don't know - the imagery of Germans and Italians in cartoons during the War was pretty racist in itself.

@AdamNY I don't know - the imagery of Germans and Italians in cartoons during the War was pretty racist in itself.

I disagree. It had little to do with race and more to do with dehumanizing an enemy by exploiting their actions. Remember that MANY of the American troops who fought in WWI and WWII were of German and Italian ancestry. Also, German and Italian are not a race.

@JustJimColo I disagree. It had little to do with race and more to do with dehumanizing an enemy by exploiting their actions...

I disagree that Germans and Italians are white. I think they're neither black or white.

Well, I don't know, many of the Germans and Italians wanted neutrality

@AdamNY I disagree that Germans and Italians are white. I think they're neither black or white. Well, I don't know, many...

LOL... Not white? You can't be serious. Germans, Austrians and Swiss are from the same tribes.

Germans and Italians wanted neutrality?..... You do realize that Italy and Germany were allies under Hitler..... You also realize Hitler proposed that Germans were the superior white race.....

@JustJimColo LOL... Not white? You can't be serious. Germans, Austrians and Swiss are from the same tribes. Germans and...

I mean the ones in this country sorry. And no I completely disagree that Hitler believed in the superior white race. Drivel.
And also, if you think Germans and Italians are white and Visigoths aren't (Lopezes, Ramirezes)...

I think you need to study history before you continue. Here is just one example.
http://historacle.org/hitlers_supermen.html

@JustJimColo I think you need to study history before you continue. Here is just one...

I got many that can contradict that, the fact that Hitler openly praised Charlamagne, a man who Germanics would actually hate for Christianizing Pagan cultures
https://books.google.com/books?...;amp;f=false__ntry he vowed revenge for the Holstein-Schwelig situation, and the movie "Citron and Flame" and German atrocities in Denmark were not pretty.
Yes they loved Nords so much, not.

@AdamNY I got many that can contradict that, the fact that Hitler openly praised Charlamagne, a man who Germanics would...

Actually, you have none that contradict that Hitler saw the Arian race as superior. The fact that he fought other countries of whites is irrelevant. That was part of conquest, not race.
http://hitlersmasterrace.weebly.com/

@JustJimColo Actually, you have none that contradict that Hitler saw the Arian race as superior. The fact that he fought other...

Other countries of whites... lol
Good one.

Anyways, it's fact that Germany and Denmark were 2 countries who hated each other because one of them (Denmark) stole German territory. You don't know what you're talking about.

And you believe Lopezes and Ramirezes aren't white but Delgados and Riveras are? Geez...

@AdamNY Other countries of whites... lol Good one. Anyways, it's fact that Germany and Denmark were 2 countries who hated...

Hmmmmm You said I don't believe Lopezes and Ramirezes are white. Want to show me where I said that?
You need to study some real history, not just the small parts you like. Germany also hated France prior to WWII. Do you know why?

Anonymous