The longer we go without resolving our differences peacefully, the more likely it becomes we will attempt to resolve them later violently. Does anyone really prefer violence?

If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.
-Emma Goldman

If voting made any difference they wouldn't let us do it.
-Mark Twain.

Here's to hoping there's no truth in those statement.

Image for post The longer we go without resolving our differences peacefully, the more likely it becomes we will attempt to resolve them later violently.  Does anyone really prefer violence?
37% Yes 37% No 15% I disagree with your premise 4% Zzzz 7% Other
PhilboydStudges avatar
12 34

There's all kind of people in the world, so if I had to bet, yes, there is indeed people that prefer violence. I'm just hoping they're not the ones in power.

@PhilboydStudge Some of them (Omar al-Bashir, Kim Jong-il, ..) obviously are.

Well, that's the problem with this... if those people never got in power, the world would be a better place in general.

Agree with Premise, don't know answer to question.

@VicZinc Agree with Premise, don't know answer to question.

Who really does?

My memory is suspect, but I thought you once argued that if allowed to grow unchecked, wealth inequality will eventually lead to something like another French Revolution.

Well even if you hadn't, you influenced my thinking on this topic just the same. biggrin smilie

@2456271

Perhaps I shouldn't have asked the question. These answers are depressing me because there's a lot of truth in them.

Thanks for the response Linnster.

@2456457

Ahhh.. back to my happy place.

There are lots of these philosophies going around, but the only thing anybody really cares about is which guy can beat the snot out of the other.

@SmartAZ There are lots of these philosophies going around, but the only thing anybody really cares about is which guy can...

That reminds of the lyrics to an old song by The Jam.

And they didn't teach me that in school
It's something that I learnt on my own
That power is measured by the pound or the fist
It's as clear as this

Sad.

Maybe people really do prefer violence... Like that fiasco in the parking lot in California last week...

@Sukiesnow Maybe people really do prefer violence... Like that fiasco in the parking lot in California last week...

True. When I see videos like that one I'm reminded of an old experiment with mice and overcrowding. The mice were put in a mouse "utopia" with ample food and space. After a certain point, however, things got ugly.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/how-rats...yin-1687584457

@PhilboydStudge True. When I see videos like that one I'm reminded of an old experiment with mice and overcrowding. The mice were...

That's not a file of rodents, is it Phil? :)

So what you're saying is we have too much...we're bored?

@Sukiesnow That's not a file of rodents, is it Phil? :) So what you're saying is we have too much...we're bored?

A file of rodents? I suspect something just flew over my head. shh smilie

I'm saying that once you put too many mice (and perhaps humans as well) into a confined area, they start getting violent.

@PhilboydStudge A file of rodents? I suspect something just flew over my head. I'm saying that once you put too many mice...

True... I was afraid of opening your YTube file...perhaps getting rodents...haunting me...

@2456751

If I have never thanked you before, thank you for your service. My brother-in-law was a former Marine, and there is no one I would have rather had in my corner in a fight than Mike (The Anvil).

Agreed. Sometimes the mere threat of violence isn't enough, especially in cultures where they value people who strap bomb vests onto themselves.

When I wrote this post I was thinking more along the lines of strife inside our own country, between our own countrymen. Thanks for an alternative viewpoint.

All dictators love violence, that's the only way they can stay in power. And America better look out, we will soon have a dictator in the White House.

"Does anyone really prefer violence?"

It seems radical Muslims do. BLM likes burning down cities. Disappointed democrats protesting the election. [I don't think they've hurt anyone other than their self respect - so far. But, it's still early.]

@2456462

Let's hope so. I heard they're planning a big protest for the inauguration. [I know - which ones? The democrats.]

There are plenty of people who prefer violence. Weapons manufacturers, chemical companies, oil companies, banks and Wall St. et al.
There's no profit in peace and when you fund both sides all that matters is that it continues. That's why we have the never ending war on terror.
. So far, the wars in the Middle East have cost 4.8 trillion dollars. Add to that the cost of added security and risk at home.
This is what insanity looks like. We could end this tomorrow if we wanted to.

That's not me.

It seems that we have no students of history at all. Everybody assumes that what we see around us is the way things have always been. That is not true. About 12 thousand years ago there was a city of about two million people in the Indus Valley with no war: no preparations at all for self defense. The people tended gardens and painted pots all the time. One day they all got up and went away, and the world has had continuous war ever since. Cities always had impressive walls around them because other tribes would attack just out of boredom, or to stay in practice. Nothing to do with "differences".