+21

I was brought up to not be concerned about what the neighbors thought. To keep things that were discussed at home private. My question is....has social media and reality tv caused people to be so concerned about people they do not know that they neglect to see the issues that concern themselves and the people they love?

Carlas avatar Language
8 24

I wonder how many eventually wake up and regret airing all the dirty laundry and ruining lives just for attention.

@JanHaskell I wonder how many eventually wake up and regret airing all the dirty laundry and ruining lives just for attention.

Its not even real attention. And unfortunately this kind of thing gives people the anonimity to be as shitty as they please. Im here to hear what real people have to say. Whether i agree or not. So is it true human nature to be that ugly or in that much need of attention or have we created it by putting it all out there?

Carlas avatar Carla Agree +4Reply

Social media has caused a lot of trouble, all because of nosy people who think they have the right to meddle in other's lives.

We're constantly being bombarded with information. I once read that one weekday edition of the New York Times contained more information than a person living in seventeenth-century England was likely to come across in a lifetime. I'm not sure how accurate that is, but you get the point.

In addition, nowadays mobile devices allow us to connect to the internet at any time. Many of us are in a state of "continuous partial attention". We try to do multiple things at the same time, but never really focus on any one thing for very long.

I suspect missing cues from loved ones is one of the effects of our crazy lifestyles.

Amen Sister! The fixation that people have over sharing the minutia of their lives with the world is ridiculous. I think that there are many that hunger for some fame and recognition. Paris Hilton, the Kardahians are examples of people that have actually achieved that goal simply because so many others hang onto their every word!

I guess it would be to the degree that you are online...and how boring your life is regarding reality TV.... Some people really get into it...especially younger people...it may influence younger people a great deal more...they are never without their phones...

What's sad is that it has become a reflection of whom kids are these days...

Your complaint goes all the way back to the creation of FHA. The bankers lobbied the federal government to guarantee home loans, supposedly to create buying opportunities, but actually to create lending opportunities. Suddenly anybody could get plenty of money to buy a house, the only limit being whatever the bank would lend on it. Before that, people would buy a lot and build a shanty on the back, and then build a real house on the front, all paid in cash as they went along. Well of course the neighbors would no longer tolerate eyesores in their neighborhood, so everybody was forced BY LAW to buy a really nice house at the top price and float a loan to pay for it.

@SmartAZ Your complaint goes all the way back to the creation of FHA. The bankers lobbied the federal government to...

I had no complaint. I DID NOT grow up in a shanty. I grew up in the country with 80 acres behind us, tennessee walkers and a nice home.paid in full before my father died at 42. We had a neighbor in front, one on the side and a few down the road.

My point was that so many feel the need to put it ALL out there. And reality tv has made 15 minute stars out of people because of their excess and
or disfunction.

I dont know why you feel the need to insult me. But guess what? I dont care what you think, as per my parents teachings

@Carla I had no complaint. I DID NOT grow up in a shanty. I grew up in the country with 80 acres behind us, tennessee...

I don't happen to know what you might have considered insulting. Maybe you should thin your list of things you consider insults.

Oh I was raised not to air my dirty laundry in public...many times I have had some do it for me. I honestly don't care what someone else is doing with someone else. I got my own problems to deal with. Sadly these people do it for the attention which is sad & slightly pathetic.