Has Anything Good Ever Come From Deregulation?

The right still thinks trickle down works. I don't see how they can think that after 35 years of it regardless of which party was in control
Has deregulation helped anyone other than the 1%?
Now republicans are poised to end the New Deal programs that created the middle class. It's been their goal since WW2. The end of SS and medicare, the end of public education, the end of public land and basically everything that made America the greatest country in the world. All of the rules that kept corporations from ruling the country and destroying the environment will be gone.
Can anybody name one good thing that came from deregulation?

urwutuiss avatar Life
6 27

Didn't they just deregulate pot? Yes, that was good.

The Federal Aviation Administration Authorization Act of 1994:

"a State, political subdivision of a State, or political authority of two or more States may not enact or enforce a law, regulation, or other provision having the force and effect of law related to a price, route, or service of any motor carrier." 49 U.S.C. § 14501

Since airline deregulation, inflation adjusted ticket prices have fallen by more than 50%. Or to put it another way, without that bit of deregulation, a plane ticket would be more than double the current price.

@2462070

You're right, of course. I got off on a tangent.

@2462242

Yeah, you're right. That's a load of crap and I'm sure Nestle is behind it. They've bought up a lot of water rights around the world and they're in the process of draining the great lakes.
We had the same rolling brownouts here and it was all BS from Enron.
It seems the bad regs are the ones proposed by corporations

@2462242

Without federal land there would be no national parks. They employ over 20 thousand people and bring revenue to the areas that they occupy. Federal land insures the stability of our forested wilderness. I am surrpunded by it and am thankful. Would you rather see another macdonalds and walnart?

@2462242

Those power plants hydro? I was watching news about that in general terms they are all closing around here so salmon can go up and down. That makes me sad because it seems we need salmon less than power, why with all the wonderful inventions can't humans make both themselves and animals appy???

I don't know. Does financial deregulation generally help or hurt the common man?

@PhilboydStudge I don't know. Does financial deregulation generally help or hurt the common man?

Not all deregulation is good, banking deregulation has led to a very dangerous situation. Under the Glass-Steagall Act, commercial banking and investment banking were kept separate. Boring, utilitarian stuff over here, exciting, speculative stuff over there.

When the law was repealed in the mid 90s, it allowed financial institutions to make risky bets with depositors' money that led to spectacular profits... and disastrous losses.

First there was the dot com bubble. When it crashed, the Fed cut interest rates to historic lows, leading to the housing bubble. In response to it's collapse, bailout programs transferred the bad debt to the public purse instead of liquidating it through bankruptcy (as would normally happen in a capitalist system).

This led to the government debt / fake recovery bubble in which the government uses all kinds of back door techniques to prop up the markets and suppress the price of precious metals. We seem to be cresting the top of that one right about now. Since this is the mother of all bubbles, God only knows what will happen when it blows.

The only saving grace is America now has a President who's very clever with money. While I don't think he or anyone else has the ability to avoid what's coming, he seems like a good person to have at the helm when it comes. But only time will tell.

That's true. I forgot about that.

what? you scared all the dictator type laws obama passed will be repealed by trump?

@Anonymousmouse what? you scared all the dictator type laws obama passed will be repealed by trump?

No, I'm afraid of the launch codes being in the hands of a megalomaniacal 12 year old .

@urwutuis No, I'm afraid of the launch codes being in the hands of a megalomaniacal 12 year old .

lol USA was at far greater risk of WWIII under Hilary, calm down now, do you need mommy to kiss you goodnight and gUard your door so the boogiemen don't hurt you? hahahahahahahaha

@Anonymousmouse lol USA was at far greater risk of WWIII under Hilary, calm down now, do you need mommy to kiss you goodnight and...

Awww, bless its little pointed head. You can't respond with anything resembling intelligence but you've learned the right wing dodge. Trying to avoid the issue with personal attacks won't fly but you're a budding Trumpeter for sure. Fact free and clueless.
Has he finished draining the swamp yet?

@urwutuis Awww, bless its little pointed head. You can't respond with anything resembling intelligence but you've learned...

funny how liberals think they are intelligent yet believe all the BS spoon fed to them by left wing media. you are the one who is fact free sorry.

looks like you have learned to be a liberal sheep

The Internet has worked out pretty good.

I know too much regulations and laws are a bad thing. wink smilie

People tend to think the battle is between liberals and conservatives. It is not. It is between centralized government and individuals.

Anonymous