Cezars avatar Science
5 9
@2463692

Well, the internet created a lot of dodos, and they seem to be flourishing. biggrin smilie

Oh, and they are often angry too, but it's not because their arms are too short. biggrin smilie biggrin smilie

I do doubt the wisdom of bringing back extinct species, especially since so many 'wild species' are already suffering from loss of habitat.

@Piper2 I do doubt the wisdom of bringing back extinct species, especially since so many 'wild species' are already...

Well, I don't think they are really trying to re-stock the auroch population... I think they just want to see if they can resurrect an extinct species.

@Thinkerbell Well, I don't think they are really trying to re-stock the auroch population... I think they just want to see if...

From the article: "These programmes are all part of the Rewilding Europe project, which aims to reintroduce Europe's lost, wild species, which would not only help the environment, but also be good for local tourism."

Either way, it just doesn't make any sense to me. As I'm sure you know, there are plenty of species here already, that are in grave danger of extinction.

@Piper2 From the article: "These programmes are all part of the Rewilding Europe project, which aims to reintroduce...

I think you are right, but I also think the Rewilding Europe project is a bit of a pipedream, applicable at best to only a few wildlife preserves.

After all, human population density in Europe is not what it was in neolithic times, and how many (non-extinct) wild cows or horses or other large grazing animals are there in Europe anyway? Not many, I bet.

@Thinkerbell I think you are right, but I also think the Rewilding Europe project is a bit of a pipedream, applicable at best to...

You may be right about the auroch, but Rewilding Europe does seem to be quite serious about trying to bring the species back. I'm just questioning the wisdom of doing that.

There are quite a few wild grazers on the continent, I believe. Not many as large the extinct auroch though, for sure.

If I'm not mistaken, the aurochs is the ancestor of the domestic ox, Bos taurus.

pOOR MOMY COWS EXPECTED TO HAVE THOSE GIANTS. At least a giant cow could be used for giant steaks and milk. I hope they don't do any dionosaurs like they always talk about.

Anonymous