+19

Salad bars, buffets and serve yourself. The older i get the more disgusted i get seeing people hands in food for sale. Cant touch it. Questions persist......did he wash his hands before he stood in line. If not, where were they? When was the last time that containment was really cleaned? What tempurature is it? Uhg and ick

Carlas avatar Food & Drink
13 32

I don't like the buffets, I like to be served.

And they take the 'uneaten' food off plates, and put it back in the food bar.

@dru18 And they take the 'uneaten' food off plates, and put it back in the food bar.

They don't if they want to stay in business. I worked for the city and our safety inspectors visited all the food places often. Many places get shut down for that. Of course inspectors can't be there all the time, but most places follow the rules. If not people talk and word gets around. I just hope things are ok. I would never know if not because I can eat anything and not get sick.

@2464045

There you go. Thats the picture i was trying to pull up from the back of my mind

Carlas avatar Carla Agree +3Reply

I hate it when people let their young children "serve themselves" at a buffet. (Or even at family get togethers)

@LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred Right why can't people keep those things at home?

I don't mind when people take their kids places. I just like them to maintain control over the kids so others can enjoy being out as well.

It's a warranted disgust.

I got sick once that way. It's called Helicobacter Pylori (h.pylori) and it comes from people not washing their hands especially after using the washroom.

I try not to eat out that much..and if I do it's at good places. And even then, no one is really safe.

@2463952

The cafeteria scene in Animal House.....

@JustJimColo The cafeteria scene in Animal House.....

That was so long ago some of the 5 year olds here may have no idea what you are talking about :) YouTube video thumbnail

@LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred That was so long ago some of the 5 year olds here may have no idea what you are talking about :)...

I think some scenes from older movies should be required viewing by the younger generation. Sometimes when I give briefings to younger audiences, I find myself having to explain the punchlines. <s> Like when I told a group they were going to be on double secret probation if they didn't get their act together.

@JustJimColo I think some scenes from older movies should be required viewing by the younger generation. Sometimes when I give...

JJ I wouldn't expect animal house to be in any hall of fame hehe smilie leave them hanging so they have to go look it up? Good luck with that manpce smilie

@LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred JJ I wouldn't expect animal house to be in any hall of fame leave them hanging so they have to go look...

Trust me, I'm not holding my breath. LOL I did give my neighbors son, down at the farm, a copy of a number of old movies when he graduated from HS so he could follow some of my comments and be exposed to some of those movies. Like the Godfather, Blazing Saddles, Young Frankenstein, etc. Great kid.

@2463952

I have never heard of carvey. Only the old time places make it to northern maine How can it be different from other places?

@2464109

Yes that is bad stuff. I did a short stint in the exterminating business a hundred years ago in nc. What i saw in the kichens, what i killed in the kitchens....made me very wary of restaraunts. In that town i knew where not to go. Swimming pools, not a chance, got an ear infection once when i was a kid. Not been in one since. Give me a great lake or an ocean, you are lucky to be alive

Carlas avatar Carla Agree +3Reply
@2464109

DW I hope you are better now

I work with food so I know all the rules for serving the public. But I have never seen anyone at a salad bar touching the food. That would be very nasty indeed. At a Shaw's in Bangor they had to remove the salad bar because the store is near the homeless shelter. Those nasty dirly people were always sticking their hands into things or using the servin spoon to stuff food right into their mout then but it back in the food. Feel sorry for those guys but they are not allowed to be in the store most of the time. Kids ya they thave no idea how to behave with parents too busy to teach them. When I see kids I try to go to sections they don't like.

@2464694

I havent seen that. If i did, you betcha, im that woman. Not only would i demand a refund, i would point him out loudly and insist he lose his job. Im THAT woman

Carlas avatar Carla Agree +1Reply
@2464694

Seeing an employee in the restroom is gross enough. Washing your hands in there is virtually putting more germs into the mix.Customers make the restrooms so much nastier than employees. Also seeing someone in a smoking area makes me not want to eat anything those dirty things touch.

I love buffets. My cooties can whip anybody else's cooties!