Why do people refer to small children as "big?"

Wow kid! You are big! Just look at how big you are! and Wow! Your kids have gotten really big! I could never understand it.

Image for post Why do people refer to small children as "big?"
30% This is why: 40% I've always wondered that myself. 30% Other
JerryHendricksons avatar Life
4 24
@2465169

On the other hand...is it responsible for building up feigned expectations? Whatever. Ha. Now I forgot what the meaning of "feigned" is...stupid word...really.

Sukiesnows avatar Sukiesnow I've always wondered that myself. 0Reply

They seem a lot larger if you've given birth to one. hehe smilie

@2465161

I always thought that term meant people around 18 to 25 years old. (Wish I were one!) a smilie

@2465212

Agree ... That's just plain silly!

It's to boost their morale. Like, "my you have grown into a big boy". lol When that is said, a child will swell up with pride.

It's a lot more polite than saying, "That's one fat ugly kid ya got there."

For some reason the word "big" has gotten a good rep lately. Is it because of the other clichés we've all endorsed?

Go "Big" or go Home. The Bigger the Better. And so on. It's one of those myths created with the underlying belief that something big is better and enough is NOT enough. We all need and aspire to more.

Look back at your country Jer. It aspires to being GREATER...again.

Funny...since I thought it was pretty great to begin with.

Sukiesnows avatar Sukiesnow I've always wondered that myself. +3Reply
@Sukiesnow For some reason the word "big" has gotten a good rep lately. Is it because of the other clichés we've all...

There are some things that need fixing. This calling babies "big" thing is nothing new; I remember adults calling me big when I was a tiny munchkin.

@2465180

Yes, but that's not the same as calling a tiny baby huge.

I think its code for brat...sometimes..

DandyDons avatar DandyDon This is why: +2Reply

The Scots call them "little chits". Chit means a child. "Chit faced" means young looking. Most people outside Scotland mispronounce that.

Even babies. People are like: " That is one big ass baby you've got there!" The baby is a small as a living human can be and they say it's huge.

Because children want to be adults until they become them

Anonymous