+2

Being healthy and staying healthy costs a lot. It's easier and cheaper to eventually get sick.

Holistic health care...isn't covered by most health plans...and homeopathic products cost a lot. Regular massage therapy...also expensive... Buying organic food...also a fortune. So how long do you really want to live? Might as well acquiesce with the govt stats. And there is really only black and white in this situation.

Image for post **Being healthy and staying healthy costs a lot.** //It's easier and cheaper to eventually get sick.//
Sukiesnows avatar Health, Beauty & Fitness
8 37

Getting a massage once a month for $60 isn't really all that expensive when you think about it. Many people who smoke spend $10 a day on cigarettes. Many people also spend $50 a week on alcohol. If they don't smoke or drink for a week, they can get a massage and have $60 left over. As far as eating healthy? Grow a garden, you'll save money and eat way better. A few fruit trees are also well worth the investment.

Staying in shape can be free. You don't need a gym membership or equipment. Eating healthy is cheaper than junk food.

Taking care of your health is your responsibility. Grow your own vegetables, run up and down the stairs severals times, eat good food. I don't know why so much is made of taking good care of yourself. You don't have to belong to a gym to do exercises, there are many ways to get/stay healthy. It starts with having good food in the house and pushing yourself away from the table before you load up with extra food that you don't need. Organic is just another way to get your money, just go healthy with fruits and vegetables.

ozzyboys avatar ozzyboy Disagree +3Reply

Not factoring in insurance health plans... I think it'd be cheaper to stay healthy than getting sick.

Factoring in health plans, then it depends on what the health plan covers. But I like the idea of (or at least what I've heard of) the Japanese's health plans because what I heard was their believe in proactive and preventative measures a lot ... which prevent people from going down the unhealthy road.

Where the Americans plans, normally seem to be much more reactive plans, not kicking in until after you've already gotten unhealthy.

@Zolfie Not factoring in insurance health plans... I think it'd be cheaper to stay healthy than getting sick. Factoring...

Some Oriental companies insist that their employees get exercise on their lunch hour. I don't think that would go over very well in the US. And they do it just for their own benefit, not the employee's.

Staying in good health does not get much support here...only ill health does.

TTYL.

@Sukiesnow Some Oriental companies insist that their employees get exercise on their lunch hour. I don't think that would go...

I think it would depend on if they're just insisting or if they're forcing them too... also who's paying for the lunch break.

If employees are paying for it themselves, then no it would not go well in the US, as the US prides themselves in doing whatever they want during their time. (Though in certain parts/ages/lifestyles it could go very well).

Well I hope you stay in good healthy in all manners :)

When health care reform was being debated in the States I did a cursory investigation into the Health Care systems of a few other industrialized countries, and found several things to like with the Japanese system. All in all, how can you argue against a system that costs less and has mostly favorable or comparable outcomes?

@PhilboydStudge When health care reform was being debated in the States I did a cursory investigation into the Health Care systems...

Just FYI...in case you might know since you are so smart...why is everything made in China...but not in Japan?

Do the Japanese charge more? If you don't know that's fine. Idle curiosity: I would google if it was keeping me up at night.

@Sukiesnow Just FYI...in case you might know since you are so smart...why is everything made in China...but not in Japan?...

Please. no smilie I am not very smart. So much not so, in fact, that your comment makes me uncomfortable. But we're still friends. smile smilie

To answer your question, my guess is that the Chinese are just kicking the rest of the world's ass at capitalism. Don't workers in China receive lower wages than most, and their manufacturers under less regulations than most? Again, guess only.

I do believe though that for whatever the reasons, China produces and distributes products at less cost than the rest of the world.

@PhilboydStudge Please. I am not very smart. So much not so, in fact, that your comment makes me uncomfortable. But we're...

You are smart, Philboyd. In different ways. You've respond to different posts and give an interesting answer. You comeback from being questioned and, without being defensive...you give another interesting reply. That, and all the above, and more, makes you a strong AMiriter...

I like guesses. You've got to hand it to the Chinese. Really. The products we get that are Made In China...is a put down of us...not them. Hmm??

Interesting. It could be possible. And that also makes me wonder about Korea and again, Japan.

I guess (and again, just guessing) they (Korea and Japan) don't need the money as much...or don't have long-range plans.

I don't really know the answer, but what your suggesting goes against common "knowledge". Ever here the old saying, "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure"?

@PhilboydStudge I don't really know the answer, but what your suggesting goes against common "knowledge". Ever here the old...

I'm not taking about just being healthy. I'm talking about being in Primo condition....

No health care system helps pay for the "ounce of prevention"...the onus is on the individual and it can get really expensive. Massage therapy...visits to a homeopathic Doctor...getting Feldenkrais sessions...eating organically (without a garden)...all costs money in a city. And that's just the tip of the iceberg.

@Sukiesnow I'm not taking about just being healthy. I'm talking about being in Primo condition.... No health care system...

You're right. I was thinking about just being healthy. I have regular visits to my Primary Care Physician once or twice a year, and this is what I consider an "once of prevention".

I believe you are much younger than I am. I find that nowadays I no longer give much thought to being in top shape. My focus has shifted to the maladies I have that are typical for someone my age.

Health insurance has a bias towards certain types of medicines over others. For instance, my insurance will help pay for doctor's visits, medications, and operations, but will not help pay for most "alternative" medical therapies.

@PhilboydStudge You're right. I was thinking about just being healthy. I have regular visits to my Primary Care Physician once or...

Thank you... Ha. Letting that sink in...

And that's because they (insurance, etc.) really don't want you to get into pristine condition. And "alternative" medical therapies are a key.

The only reason I mention "pristine condition" (and I don't mean a 6 pack abs) is because ordinary health will leave you with a condition that will most probably coincide with the statistics... BUT, in order to have a chance of lasting in this life up to your 90s is by being in pristine condition...especially initially. (Unless you are lucky)

This is why I asked "How long do you really want to live?"... Since really...life can get tiresome. Even going past the cute kids, and the pets... Who wants to go through yet another election?

Thanx for listening, Phil.

@Sukiesnow Thank you... Ha. Letting that sink in... And that's because they (insurance, etc.) really don't want you to get...

Perhaps there's not enough financial incentive for the insurance companies to change their business model? A model which has helped make them filthy rich. eek smilie

Ah. Well while longevity seems to run in my family, our bodies tend to outlast our brains by an average of 10 years or so. Mind you.. I've never shared this with my daughters. Why worry their pretty little heads (or give them a chance to run away)? They'll figure it out soon enough.

@2465523

But who really wants a dreary ending?

@2465709

Realistically, nobody "needs" a gym membership. Running is free and you don't need any equipment to do push-ups, sit-ups, chin-ups or hundreds of other exercises. If someone thinks they need gym equipment, they can buy it for almost nothing on craigslist.

@JustJimColo Realistically, nobody "needs" a gym membership. Running is free and you don't need any equipment to do push-ups...

Running is really detrimental to the joints on a long term basis...some other machines are better...

Proper weight-lifting equipment is only available in gyms. That's the kind of body-building MM is into.

For ppl who are just working out 3 times a week for cardio...(and that's all it takes)...home equipment is perfect.

@Sukiesnow Running is really detrimental to the joints on a long term basis...some other machines are better... Proper...

Growing up, we ran on dirt tracks, or on the grass. It had less impact on joints.
There was no such thing as gym memberships in small towns 50 years ago, yet people were healthier, leaner and more fit.

@JustJimColo Growing up, we ran on dirt tracks, or on the grass. It had less impact on joints. There was no such thing as gym...

Yes...running on grass, while it can cause someone to stumble...is definitely easier on the bones. It's also not easy to do that in colder climes since before you know it snow is on the ground and that puts a kibosh on running outside...

The air was also better to breathe...years ago.

@Sukiesnow Yes...running on grass, while it can cause someone to stumble...is definitely easier on the bones. It's also not...

Sukie.... I live in Colorado at 7000 elevation.... Some people who complain that they can't exercise here, pay others to shovel their walks. They also pay people to mow their lawns.

@JustJimColo Sukie.... I live in Colorado at 7000 elevation.... Some people who complain that they can't exercise here, pay...

You are lucky to live at a higher altitude...it automatically puts you in better shape....and you must get better air.

I've always wanted to visit Boulder.

Yah...ppl do that every place.

@Sukiesnow You are lucky to live at a higher altitude...it automatically puts you in better shape....and you must get better...

It's funny watching colleagues who come out to see me from DC. They are sucking for air after a couple flights of stairs.

@2465709

No kidding MM... That is sort of what I was going for on this post...

People who go that extra mile...that's what I'm talkin about.

I bought organic food once and lasted about 2 months...it was so expensive!

It's a lot cheaper to watch a book now and then so you know a few things. Example: last week my eyes were itching terribly. I thought maybe I had some sort of an infection. Then I remembered a book that I read in 1969 that mentioned itchy eyes. I dug it out and looked for the remark: it's a deficiency of vitamin B2. And I remembered another article about vitamin B2 that said you might have to treat a deficiency by cutting pills into quarters and taking one piece every hour. So six bux and two days later my eyes feel normal again, and I saved untold hundreds of dollars by not going to a doctor who doesn't know that because he has no training in nutrition.

Your picture there is another example. It is uncomfortable to get a massage with your elbows out like that. An experienced technician will gently reposition the arms straight down by the sides.

It is amazing that so many people will go through life without bothering to learn anything about living.

@SmartAZ It's a lot cheaper to watch a book now and then so you know a few things. Example: last week my eyes were itching...

Not everyone can remember what to take when they have an ailment. If your B2 didn't work, you'd end up taking polysporin drops...just like everyone would and paying about as much.

It's easier to get under the shoulder blades with the position in the pic. But both positions are good.

People are too involved in the rat race to bother with learning about living...until it's pretty much too late.