+8

I own a couple of pistols. They were given to me by my mother. I did my due diligence and registered them with the sheriffs dept. I know they did a check on my record. But how could they check my medical records in everyplace i have lived in my life? In three days? I am all about the right to bare arms, but........how do we get guns out of the hands of criminals and mentaly deranged individuals? It is a conundrum. I have thought about this for a long time. My only answer is weak. Take the ability to sell them online or at gun shows. But what about long guns? And what of all the illegal guns on the street? It is such a mess, who has the answer? I certainly dont think allowing unchecked automatic weapons to be available, or everyone able to be armed, anywhere is a good answer. Foreign terrorism is only a part of the picture.

Image for post I own a couple of pistols. They were given to me by my mother. I did my due diligence and registered them with the sheriffs dept. I know they did a check on my record. But how could they check my medical records in everyplace i have lived in my life? In three days? I am all about the right to bare arms, but........how do we get guns out of the hands of criminals and mentaly deranged individuals? It is a conundrum. I have thought about this for a long time. My only answer is weak. Take the ability to sell them online or at gun shows. But what about long guns? And what of all the illegal guns on the street? It is such a mess, who has the answer? I certainly dont think allowing unchecked automatic weapons to be available, or everyone able to be armed, anywhere is a good answer.  Foreign terrorism is only a part of the picture.
Carlas avatar Technology
5 81

We should have stricter background checks, at least that would be a start.

@Carla I agree, that absolutely would be a good start

You would have to wonder why that would be so objectionable to so many, no?

Carlas avatar Carla Agree +2Reply
@Carla You would have to wonder why that would be so objectionable to so many, no?

It seems as though only the conservative gun owners don't want background checks, for fear that the NRA might not be able to sell as many guns.

I do and did. I am not looking to argue, but to debate. If you are for what i was against , in the latter tier of this post, i would really like to hear why.

Carlas avatar Carla Agree +2Reply

The only true left-wing solution would be Mandatory ownership. Issue an automatic weapon to each and every child at birth, single payer system (i.e., government [read:taxpayers] pay for all guns) and a weekly subscription of ammo delivered to every person equally. With free lifetime gun upgrades every 3 years.

"No child left behind" would now have 4 "R"s:
Reading wRiting aRithmetic and maRksmanship with standardized shooting-range tests required (beginning at pre-school.) Teachers would be required to maintain an 80% attainment average in order to secure federal matching funds for local public school districts.

The federally regulated program would include a 'ladder of achievement' starting with kindergarten marksmanship awards and continuing through high school militia clubs and culminating in entry level job opportunities (paying a $15 minimum wage) in domestic and foreign gun, ammo and ordnance manufacturing industries.

Additionally Community Colleges across America would offer tuition free degrees in ballistics, and armament design with special tuition assistance programs for disadvantaged students to study abroad and learn the trades in special 'camps' designed to train 'freedom fighters'.

Finally we simply remove the stigma of being 'mentally deranged' by renaming that condition 'differently thoughtful' and we decriminalize all behaviors. Thus everyone will be fully armed and yet no 'criminals' or 'deranged' people will own guns.

Now the only challenge we as a nation will face is to ask ourselves: how can we protect the first amendment and still get 'words' out of the mouths of 'free market capitalist' and other misguided individuals?

I don't think people should EVER be able to buy a gun without a bg check and waiting period

@TomboyJanet I don't think people should EVER be able to buy a gun without a bg check and waiting period

How about buying a shotgun for your son or daughter for Christmas who lives on a farm? How about the person (man or woman) who has been threatened by a stalker or ex and is in fear of being killed or assaulted? Although I support laws that prohibit convicted criminals from buying guns, the only ones who go through the background checks to buy a gun, are the ones who can already pass the background checks. The bad guys will just have someone else purchase the guns or get them illegally from another source.

No one wants to take guns away from sane, law abiding folks

Carlas avatar Carla Agree +2Reply

Vic, i hope you meant right wing at the top of your post. I am as left as they come and your last paragraph spoke volumes to me. The rest is scary shit...

Carlas avatar Carla Agree +1Reply

If I were a criminal and if I was going to use a gun to commit a crime, the last thing I would do, would be to buy it from a dealership, or even at a gun show. I would buy, or steal a gun from another criminal.(Note my title, criminal) Illegal guns come across our border illegally every day. Anyone who buys a gun at a dealer, or a gun show, leaves a paper trail. Criminals rarely do that, and no matter how many laws they create, they never will.

Hey jim.

The people who have used guns to commit the majority of mass shooting came to their guns legally. I am sadly aware that illeagal guns are in abundance. But do you think more thorough background checks may be in order? Or no fly, no gun? And please tell me why a person woukd need a fully automatic machine type gun? I know if someone broke into my home, the last thing i would want is to soray it with high caliber ammo. My 38 will do the trick. You may have a different take. But surely you have to admit that there are far too many people that have guns legally, shouldnt.

Carlas avatar Carla Agree +1Reply
@Carla Hey jim. The people who have used guns to commit the majority of mass shooting came to their guns legally. I am...

Carla, Fully automatic machine guns have not been legal for the average citizen to own since 1939. There have been no mass shooting by anyone using a fully automatic machine gun, who obtained their gun legally. (I can't even think of a case where a machine gun was used.) Lets also look at the murders of individuals. How many of the guns in Chicago do you think were obtained legally, and they have some of the strictest laws in the country. The bottom line is that criminals who can't get guns legally, will continue to get them illegally. The problem we have with people continuing to use guns in crimes is that little is being done about it. (Making gun laws stricter does nothing to stop or reduce gun violence)

@Carla Sorry wrong term. Assault rifles

And what proof do you have of that? I dont remember any enforcement of stricter gun laws

@Carla And what proof do you have of that? I dont remember any enforcement of stricter gun laws

Thats the problem with ALL laws Carla. Enforcement. If laws are't enforced, the laws don't really, in practice, exist. It's the same as Chicago refusing to enforce immigration laws, claiming to be a sanctuary city. Nobody is supposed to be able to pick and choose what laws they enforce based on their personal feelings. Here are the Illinois gun laws. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_Illinois

@JustJimColo Thats the problem with ALL laws Carla. Enforcement. If laws are't enforced, the laws don't really, in practice...

Its not an easy issue to debate. That is why i am open to any kind of feasible ideas. I dont believe that 72 hours is nearly enough time to investicate an application. And 24 hours for a long guns too, isnt either. A criminal who wants someone dead is going to shoot, stab, strangle or beat their victim. Thank you for your input. It has been food for thought

Carlas avatar Carla Agree +1Reply
@Carla Its not an easy issue to debate. That is why i am open to any kind of feasible ideas. I dont believe that 72 hours...

Carla, I grew up in a town of 2800 people. The closest city that was larger was 150 miles away. If we wanted to purchase a gun, be it shotgun, pistol or rife, it was a 7 hour drive, round trip. It's not like you can walk into a shop, purchase what you want and then come back in 4 or 5 days. With today's technology, a click of the mouse can show the clerk if you have a criminal record and are prohibited from owning a gun. (The same as if you are stopped by a cop.) The only thing that comes back from any investigation is data on criminal databases.

@2467592

How far back do you want to go? How about in the sixties? Guy in tower shot many people. Let me check........1966, charles whitman. 49 people shot, 18 killed

In the past 30 years 82 % of mass shooting have been committed by people who came by their weapons legally......info by mother jones...google it

Carlas avatar Carla Agree +1Reply
@2467794

Not likely. That is horrible.

Im not sure of the statistics there. Gang related stuff and whatnot. Gonna have to do more reading.

I find mass shootings to he more horrific though. Unsuspecting people, going about their lives. And then terror.

If others had guns, no one would have known who the bad guys were. It would be a shootemup.

Worrisome

Carlas avatar Carla Agree +1Reply
@2467976

But if any registreed owner can carry, there may be six or eight or twenty with weapons. Everyone starts to try and take him out, then who knows who the bad guys,are? Maybe more armed officers, in uniform. But not undistinguishable private people

Oh if someone wants a gun they will find a means to get it. I don't care how many laws are enacted or background checks are in place it doesn't mean diddly squat. You can stop the sale of guns online or at gun shows but people will find a way even if they have to drive to another state. Heck I can walk over a few blocks away with $20 & a case a beer & buy a gun. As I said if people want it they will get it. That kinda activity is just about anywhere. To say it ain't is just foolish.

I think you may want to adjust your focus. Instead of wondering how to control gun ownership, how about we try to control crazy people?

There have been so many cases especially with the mass shootings over recent years, in which there's pretty substantial evidence that the shooter had serious mental problems that were known. Regulations and restrictions prevented doctors and teachers and others in authority from doing anything to shine some light on the problem before people got killed.

Guns in the hands of sane people are not a threat.

Cuz not everybody is perfect there is only one perfect and everybody is flawed there for everybody needs to be checked regardless cops police anybody you want a gun get checked you cleared you can have one you don't you don't get it Point Blank. Like I said there's only one perfect and he died sacrifice himself for us

They don't check your medical records.
It is a federal requirement that, if you are sentenced to mental care, it is reported to a national database.
They only have to check that database.

The Air Force failure to follow that requirement (because the military and police always protect their own) is what allowed the Las Vegas mass-murder to happen.

I am not about guns at all. EVen having guns increeases the likelihood you will die by gunshot exponentially. Although, sometimes I feel it's reached a point of no return. When no one cares that kids get gunned down in schools, it's pretty much over.

Trishs avatar Trish Disagree +1Reply

The solution to your "conundrum" is to melt your guns down into little statues of transgender unicorns or something magical like that. Be an example to all.

facemans avatar faceman Disagree 0Reply
@2467757

Diamond Back?

facemans avatar faceman Disagree +1Reply
@2467763

Seems to be a pretty good CCW choice.

@Carla Why make yourself seem a fool?

Have I done that again? I'm sort of like a chameleon in that way, I guess.

facemans avatar faceman Disagree 0Reply
@faceman Have I done that again? I'm sort of like a chameleon in that way, I guess.

No mr. faceman....there was no camoflage. That was right in my face, man

Carlas avatar Carla Agree +1Reply
@Carla No mr. faceman....there was no camoflage. That was right in my face, man

You missed it. Think of why a chameleon changes color and you may understand.

facemans avatar faceman Disagree 0Reply
@faceman You missed it. Think of why a chameleon changes color and you may understand.

I can only figure that a chameleon changes color to eat or not to be eaten. Are you feeding on this post to satisfy you? Or are are you hiding because the ideas that come might consume you?

Carlas avatar Carla Agree +1Reply
@faceman There must be a 3rd option, because those two aren't it.

I guess there is. Are you cold? Are you warm? How's your mood?

If this post ran into your sensibilites, you might have voiced a real opinion or pose a solution. Instead you make an inane comment and explain it away in lizardy terms.

Come out with it man!

Carlas avatar Carla Agree +1Reply
@JerryHendrickson Still, the "transgender unicorns" comment was pretty damn funny if you ask me.

Why do i have to be an example? And of what? My guns are legally and im sane, i was deemed so after 15 years at "the home"

@Carla Jerry so was i. I may be a bit more subtle

Will you admit that the transgender unicorn joke is funny?

@JerryHendrickson Will you admit that the transgender unicorn joke is funny?

I know it was said in jest and maybe without ill intention, and he could have just said unicorns. The transgender part was not funny. I know alot of people in that community and am not in yhe habit a laughing at jokes made at their expense. I just hope he wasnt being malicious

No one has to register their weapons. We have the right to have them.

the answer is keep the 2nd amendment right alive, that way when a psycho does go loose their are sane people to stop him or her

@2467588

No one wants to take anyone's guns away, why do you keep saying that? We are gun owners, properly registered. All the Obama administration was saying that we need stricter background checks for EVERYONE, maybe that would keep some of these nut cases from going on a rampage, killing lots of people.

@2467588

Did anyone read that i own two guns? I am just saying that its way to easy. And the manufacturers keep pumping them out. And they spend alot of dollars lobbying for a gun for everyone. Read vics post, makes me cringe.

I have a smashing answer, but on this particular subject nobody cares what anybody else thinks. So I am going to keep my answer to myself.

Some of you pay lip service to freedom but still you want to take everybody's guns away. WTF?

You are correct in saying there are too many guns in this country to ever hope to control them. The other option is to control the nuts. It is always true that after a nut kills people with a gun that there comes to light that "red flags" where everywhere, but nothing was done. In my opinion this is most often related to political correctness gone too far. Friends and family see the red flags, but can't do anything until the nut in question goes nuts with a gun.
Laws are needed that allow family members or concerned citizen s have a way to get help for these people. A judge along with a qualified doctor need to be able to force an evaluation of people who are displaying red flag behavior. Not PC but needed.

@Daver You are correct in saying there are too many guns in this country to ever hope to control them. The other option is...

You are so right. The fellow who shot up the airport was in a facility, released and given back his guns.

After saying he was hearing voices.

Better background checks also could discover evidence of mental instability.
I know certain medical information is private, but if you want a firearm, maybe that kind of disclosure should be mandatory.

And when people see those red flags, sitting on their collective hands, obviously, gets people killed.

Carlas avatar Carla Agree +1Reply

Carla, that's the problem - there is absolutely no way you can keep guns out of the hands of criminals or the unstable.

The only way to get every single gun off the street would be for every single house in the US to be raided all at the same time and search the entire house from top to bottom looking for guns. Then, in a matter of days, the guns would be crossing from Mexico back into the States.

I wanted to bring one thing that seems to have been missed when it it comes to guns. Not only do criminals use illegally obtained guns, but they "prefer" to use illegal guns. These guns, used in crime, if found, cannot be traced back to the criminal. If I bought a gun and committed a crime with it, the ballistics and serial number would lead them straight to be. If it was a gun I obtained illegally and threw it away afterwards, it wouldn't matter if the police recovered it. It doesn't lead to me.