+11

People Often Use Calling Other Humans "Animals" as a Very Insulting Slur, Yet Those Same People Do Often Site the Brutality of Other Animals, as an Excuse for That of Humans Towards Other Species.

The origin of the word humane is human. Personally, I find humans no more "humane : (marked by compassion, sympathy, or consideration for humans or animals) ", in general, than that of the supposedly lower species.

Image for post People Often Use Calling Other Humans "Animals" as a Very Insulting Slur, Yet Those Same People Do Often Site the Brutality of Other Animals, as an Excuse for That of Humans Towards Other Species.
Piper2s avatar Animals & Nature
8 21

When I call someone an animal, I'm always joking....it has nothing to do with a true animal.

@2466785

Welcome. This is not as busy as SH was but it can be fun.

Stick around for a while.

Not only that, but people use animal names to either degrade or compliment others, oftentimes based on gender. Moreover, they sometimes deem polite people and actions "too tame," as if politeness or tact aren't "animal" enough. Proof that human nature needs a recall!

Mashas avatar Masha Agree +4Reply

Oh, yeah, I've noticed that. And I agree completely with your explanation.

Sofias avatar Sofia Agree +3Reply
@Sofia Oh, yeah, I've noticed that. And I agree completely with your explanation.

Thank you, Sofia. I fear I didn't word my 'opinion' very well, so I'm glad you got it. :)

@Piper2 Thank you, Sofia. I fear I didn't word my 'opinion' very well, so I'm glad you got it. :)

I think you explained it well. If I got it, everyone can get it xD

Sofias avatar Sofia Agree +2Reply
@Sofia I think you explained it well. If I got it, everyone can get it...

I'm not so sure about that, Sofia. Not that you didn't get it, but that everyone would.

Very often when there is any kind of discussion about the extreme cruelty in the meat industry, someone will mention how brutal animals are in the wild, as some kind of 'excuse' for their indifference to what humans do to other animals. We ARE animals, of course, but are supposedly a superior and more humane species.
In the next breath, people who would use that 'excuse', make sweeping judgments about whole groups of people because of the brutal actions of a few. Calling them animals not worthy of being considered human....

Yes, people treat animals with contempt - because they are using and abusing them since long - or destroying their natural habitats.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L...icated_animals

They do the same with people - namely the lower classes, those who are taken for granted, and those who are less favoured in life, considered to be rather a burden, than "useful" members of society.

@Marianne Yes, people treat animals with contempt - because they are using and abusing them since long - or destroying their...

I can vouch that this is true, no matter how cruel it may be. Dominant groups are, for the lack of better words, nature's mouthpiece. I had a similar experience earlier today whilst shopping with a friend. I politely voiced an opinion about a health product whose name I simply didn't like (not comfortable going into it). The clerk said I was "too sensitive" (That I despise being told because I am who I am. I actually expected more insults though...) and I abruptly told him I'm not and it was just an opinion about the product name. The clerk told me to get away from him. I apologised as I didn't mean to be abrupt. In the checkout line, I overheard the clerk's conversation with my friend. He referred to my friend as a "caregiver" and told her that I need to be watched as if on a leash. Then I thought I heard him say that I was, speaking of less favoured, "content to live as livestock." My friend replied with "She's 25 and can buy what she wants, when she wants, by herself. She apologised and didn't mean any harm." If the employees boycott me for that opinion next time I shop there, I'll sue them. I've heard people with stronger opinions in that store and they were let off much easier, i.e. they mattered. According to nature, I don't matter. Too sensitive, needs to be watched, and possibly livestock. I am a highly sensitive person and darn proud of it, but never too sensitive. I deserve a full personhood and most certainly matter!

Mashas avatar Masha Agree +2Reply
@Masha I can vouch that this is true, no matter how cruel it may be. Dominant groups are, for the lack of better words...

I am totally flabbergasted!

Such behaviour by employees is unacceptable!
As I heard, US companies fire employees for much less than lacking respect against clients.
You have every right to say if something is incommodating you, whether you show up as a high ranking business manager or a simple factory worker, a movie star or a humble housewife in a sexist environment, a tourist or foreigner learning English, or a successful athlete or as un unknown sportsman or sportswoman walking with crutches after an accident.

Yes, you matter, and you have probably a much better education than this employee who ought to take some lessons about respect and correct behaviour - not hypocrisy, of course.

Communication should base first on mutual respect and not according to ranking, skills, image, wealth, knowledge, origin or gender.

I hope that you can take things with a little humour and move on. But if people are insulting you in a shop, it might be useful to inform the manager or, if you have the choice, to go to another shop - and raise awareness around you ...

As a first step, start with a good laugh (I hope that it helps):

Now, I am sending you a smile smilie, a hug smilie and wish you stamina and courage y smilie !

Good grief, Masha. That does sound to me, like you just made an off-hand comment about not liking the name of a product and the clerk escalated everything to a ridiculous degree.

It's not okay for a clerk in a store to be making demeaning comments about a customer over something like that, anymore than it is okay for a customer to demean an employee just because they can.

Of course YOU matter......

You mean people are pointing fingers about animal abuse to other people? When they themselves are guilty?

@Sukiesnow You mean people are pointing fingers about animal abuse to other people? When they themselves are guilty?

No. That's not what I meant, but it's another interesting sort of 'contradiction'.

@Piper2 No. That's not what I meant, but it's another interesting sort of 'contradiction'.

Okay. Thanks. Calling someone an animal - like a pig - should be a compliment. I have highest respect for pigs...they are extremely intelligent. They are out for themselves...but they make no apology for it. Pigs also make adorable pets...

@Sukiesnow Okay. Thanks. Calling someone an animal - like a pig - should be a compliment. I have highest respect for...

I've often wondered why people who claim to "love" or respect a certain animal, will post something about how much they love to eat them, too.

Anonymous