+4

Movies with subtitles sound like a rip-off. You get a blather of verbiage in another language...but then what you read is: He closed the door. Amirite?

Image for post **Movies with subtitles sound like a rip-off.** //You get a blather of verbiage in another language...but then what you read is: *He closed the door.*// **Amirite?**
Sukiesnows avatar TV, Movies & Theatre
7 11

I prefer subtitles on foreign movies, actually. The actors voice is such a big part of the acting, and some might get lost in dubbing.
"English for the hearing impaired" is a last choice, though.
Do a deaf person really need to know that "Rock music coming from car"?

@HegeMarie I prefer subtitles on foreign movies, actually. The actors voice is such a big part of the acting, and some might...

It might also have to do with the amount a person is used to reading, as well... People who rarely read might have less patience for subs.

@Sukiesnow It might also have to do with the amount a person is used to reading, as well... People who rarely read might have...

True. When your first language is Norwegian, all movies are foreign movies, so we're used to this from an early age hehe smilie

Subtitles can give me a headache...

Its amazibg how many syllables are in other languages, no?

Carlas avatar Carla Agree +4Reply

The Seven Samurai is an excellent old black and white movie that was dubbed to English. If you really don't want to read the titles, then watch The Magnificent Seven that was remade from the Samurai.
I don't mind the subtitles unless I'm trying to read a book at the same time.

Actually, I was even glad to read the subtitles for movies in foreign languages; it helped and still helps a lot. And when the sound is too bad, it helps too - lol. smile smilie

Subtitles are helpful if you don't understand the language. What matters is their quality. All your base are belong to us.