+7

My wrists and forearms are starting to go bad and it's definitely from drumming. I know for sure. I'll have to change things up a bit, get more technical, and learn a few more things but I promise that I'll still be really good, because I don't quit.

For some reason, after the last few gigs, my wrists are screwed to the point that I can't do a massage without pain. It is with much regret that I have resigned to be a softer hitter. It's just part of becoming a geezer. I'll still smash like a maniac on select songs.

JerryHendricksons avatar
5 15

I feel your pain. I have both elbow tendonitis and carpal tunnel. The tendonitis is getting better, but it is a slooooow process (12 months so far).

@PhilboydStudge Thanks. Both are very manageable now.

Yeah good to hear love I can imagine tendonitis can be very painful. Stupid as it sound's (particularly when I think of Jerry drumming away) but I actually get aches, pains and finger tingles from just typing too much on my keyboard. 乂ᵒ _ᵒ乂

Adas avatar Ada Agree +1Reply
@Ada Yeah good to hear love I can imagine tendonitis can be very painful. Stupid as it sound's (particularly when I...

I am not a doctor, but tingling sensations in the fingers is a symptom of carpal tunnel syndrome.

@PhilboydStudge I am not a doctor, but tingling sensations in the fingers is a symptom of carpal tunnel syndrome.

Yeah you know I had a real funny feeling you might say that, I get numbness and tingling fingers a lot in bed too.

God know what I've done in life (might be a symptom of boxing many years) but on one hand I've arthritis kickin in on a couple of fingers and the other hand has Dupuytren's disease curling one of my fingers.

But hey I've been told life begins at forty so I've still got that one to look forward too Phil hehe.乂^◡^乂

Adas avatar Ada Agree 0Reply

I'm sorry to hear that Jerry, I hope there is something you can do that sorts it for you without giving up something you really love. 乂ᵒ _ᵒ乂

Adas avatar Ada Agree +4Reply
@Ada I'm sorry to hear that Jerry, I hope there is something you can do that sorts it for you without giving up...

I'm going to go with wrist support and playing more lightly. I'm hoping it works out.

@2468009

That would take my mind off of the wrist problem for a while.

That is great...change it around and try to learn what moves give you the most pain. Do some self massage, v little, heat and ice are better. Ideally with a hot wax treatment.

Strengthen with weights, if possible. And when you go on, maybe wear some funky looking black bandage supports...maybe with fingerless black gloves...the muscles - as you know - are all related and I'm convinced they all talk to each other... smile smilie

Along with your black bandages and gloves you could offset this with a black ripped t-shirt.

@Sukiesnow That is great...change it around and try to learn what moves give you the most pain. Do some self massage, v...

I've done a lot of weight lifting. Strength is definitely not the problem. At 52, my body can't take the beating it used to. I've done a little reading on the subject the last couple of days and It comes from the vibration of the sticks entering into my hand and wrists, so using fingerless gloves with wrist support is a great idea that I do plan on implementing.

What's a good drum set for beginners? As in not so cheap it takes away motivation to learn but not so expensive it's unattainable.