A Joke and a Lesson The Cleaning Woman There was a little old cleaning woman that went to the local church. When the invitation was given at the end of the service, she went forward wanting to become a member. The pastor listened as she told him how she had accepted Jesus and wanted to be baptized and become a member of the church. The pastor thought to himself, "oh my, she is so unkempt, even smells a little, and her fingernails are not clean. She picks up garbage, cleans toilets - what would the members think of her." He told her that she needed to go home and pray about it and then decide. The following week, here she came again. She told the pastor that she had prayed about it and still wanted to be baptized. "I have passed this church for so long. It is so beautiful, and I truly want to become a member." Again the pastor told her to go home and pray some more. A few weeks later while out eating at the restaurant, the pastor saw the little old lady. He did not want her to think that he was ignoring her so he approached her and said, "I have not seen you for a while. Is everything all right?" "Oh, yes," she said. "I talked with Jesus, and he told me not to worry about becoming a member of your church." "He did?" said the pastor. "Oh, yes" she replied. "He said even He hasn't been able to get into your church yet, and He's been trying for years." Link: http://jokes.christiansunite.com/Church/The_Cleaning_Woman.shtml

Image for post A Joke and a Lesson  ******* The Cleaning Woman  ******* There was a little old cleaning woman that went to the local church. When the invitation was given at the end of the service, she went forward wanting to become a member. The pastor listened as she told him how she had accepted Jesus and wanted to be baptized and become a member of the church.  The pastor thought to himself, "oh my, she is so unkempt, even smells a little, and her fingernails are not clean. She picks up garbage, cleans toilets - what would the members think of her." He told her that she needed to go home and pray about it and then decide.  The following week, here she came again. She told the pastor that she had prayed about it and still wanted to be baptized. "I have passed this church for so long. It is so beautiful, and I truly want to become a member."  Again the pastor told her to go home and pray some more. A few weeks later while out eating at the restaurant, the pastor saw the little old lady. He did not want her to think that he was ignoring her so he approached her and said, "I have not seen you for a while. Is everything all right?"  "Oh, yes," she said. "I talked with Jesus, and he told me not to worry about becoming a member of your church."  "He did?" said the pastor.  "Oh, yes" she replied. "He said even He hasn't been able to get into your church yet, and He's been trying for years."  Link: http://jokes.christiansunite.com/Church/The_Cleaning_Woman.shtml
Mariannes avatar Jokes & Humour
10 28

The Cleaning Woman

There was a little old cleaning woman that went to the local church. When the invitation was given at the end of the service, she went forward wanting to become a member. The pastor listened as she told him how she had accepted Jesus and wanted to be baptized and become a member of the church.
The pastor thought to himself, "oh my, she is so unkempt, even smells a little, and her fingernails are not clean. She picks up garbage, cleans toilets - what would the members think of her." He told her that she needed to go home and pray about it and then decide.
The following week, here she came again. She told the pastor that she had prayed about it and still wanted to be baptized. "I have passed this church for so long. It is so beautiful, and I truly want to become a member."
Again the pastor told her to go home and pray some more. A few weeks later while out eating at the restaurant, the pastor saw the little old lady. He did not want her to think that he was ignoring her so he approached her and said, "I have not seen you for a while. Is everything all right?"
"Oh, yes," she said. "I talked with Jesus, and he told me not to worry about becoming a member of your church."
"He did?" said the pastor.
"Oh, yes" she replied. "He said even He hasn't been able to get into your church yet, and He's been trying for years."

Link: http://jokes.christiansunite.co...ng_Woman.shtml

@2467979

Lol - hello, Markymark, and thank you for sharing a good laugh.hehe smiliesmile smilie

@2468128

Thank you and a very happy New Year to you too! smile smilie

smile smilie

How's 2017 treating you so far, Marianne?

@Sukiesnow How's 2017 treating you so far, Marianne?

Lol - thank you for dropping by, Sukiesnow - not too bad, though cold and still too dry for the season, but there is more snow and, eventually, rain to come. And how are you doing? smile smilie

@Budwick

Thank you, Budwick - lol. smile smiliehehe smilie

Great post.

@JustJimColo Great post.

Thank you for the compliment, JustJimColo. smile smilie

@JustJimColo Great post.

Hello again.
May I give you a link? You were interested in a post about dogs:
http://www.amirite.com/user/Marianne/posts

I hope that you like it. smile smilie

Christ has encountered such churches before.

"And unto the angel of the church of the Laodiceans write; These things saith the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the beginning of the creation of God;

I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot.

So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth.

Because thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked."

Matthew Ch 25 v42-45
42 For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, 43 I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.’

44 “They also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?’

45 “He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.’

@Marianne Excellent and deep, HegeMarie - ex aequo with Thinkerbell!

Unfortunately, among all the beautiful and majestic churches and cathedrals, there are some that seems to be to good for the carpenter from Nazareth

Love it, and it's oh, so true.

In the 19th century Americans started moving west and three institutions went with them. There was vaudeville, traveling entertainment. There was lyceum, traveling education and culture. And there was the itinerant preacher, offering a new style of preaching called "hell fire and brim stone". It was very entertaining, only loosely based on scripture, and pastors didn't even try to compete. Instead they switched to preaching public morality and philosophy. Eventually an entire generation grew up not knowing the first thing about the religion they claimed to believe. That is why most Christian churches don't teach doctrines, and most members don't know what they are supposed to believe.

2 Timothy 4:3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears; 4 And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.

@Marianne Thank you for your comment. There are, indeed, thousands of religions and sects, beliefs, doctrines...

Nobody even knows what religion is, so their opinions about it don't matter much. The bible is quite plain: religion is made up by men telling each other what to do. If religion relates to spirituality, it is only an accident.

Wikipedia is a worthless reference because they don't insist on facts like they originally said they did. Now they insist on consensus, but no particular definition saying whose consensus.

@SmartAZ Nobody even knows what religion is, so their opinions about it don't matter much. The bible is quite plain:...

Don't blame Wikipedia; if you look into the different sources, there are various differences and interpretations; most transmissions were oral and written down much later, furthermore there is often a lack of evidence. And beliefs vary much, according to populations, their cultures, locations, circumstances, environments, education or "impregnation", local conditions, interests and social structures.
smile smilie

@Marianne Don't blame Wikipedia; if you look into the different sources, there are various differences and interpretations;...

It's not really their fault: there is no way they could assure that everything the publish is factual, because so many things are not established facts. A great many things are based on believing.

The fact is believing is seeing. Everybody who looks at the stars sees the same blobs of light. If you believe in gravity then you can see evidence of gravity at work. If you don't believe then you can not see the evidence and nobody can persuade you that it is there.

This is significant because gravity is not the only theory about how the universe works. Another group says electric charge is the main factor in how the universe behaves. Both sides of this argument consider the other side to be deluded. And these are scientists.

So there is nothing wikipedia can do but pick one side of the argument and call it "consensus", which makes the other side "non-standard". But they don't tell you they did that.

Anonymous