"Get paid fighting against Trump!" You can earn $2500 a month, plus $50 an hour to protest at Trump's inauguration (and at least 5 more events this year). Should hiring protesters be allowed?

It goes without saying that there are some very deep pockets behind this effort. [Washington Times] Demand Protest, a San Francisco company that bills itself as the “largest private grassroots support organization in the United States,” posted identical ads Jan. 12 in more than 20 cities on Backpage.com seeking “operatives.” “Get paid fighting against Trump!” says the ad. “We pay people already politically motivated to fight for the things they believe. You were going to take action anyways, why not do so with us!” the ad continues. “We are currently seeking operatives to help send a strong message at upcoming inauguration protests.” The job offers a monthly retainer of $2,500 plus “our standard per-event pay of $50/hr, as long as you participate in at least 6 events a year,” as well as health, vision and dental insurance for full-time operatives. ... So what do you think? Is it acceptable to hire protesters?

Ads in two dozen cities offer protesters up to $2,500 to agitate at Trump inauguralDonald Trump may have a point about paid protesters: Job ads running in more than 20 cities offer $2,500 per month for agitators to demonstrate at this week’s presidential inauguration events.http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/jan/17/ads-two-dozen-cities-offer-protesters-2500-agitate/
13% Yes 88% No 0% Other
Mazes avatar Politics
2 23

No, but this is a minor infraction. If you want to focus on the injustice brought about by huge sums of money, look no further than the elections. Citizen's United all but ensures the wealthy have more say in our government than everyone else.

@PhilboydStudge No, but this is a minor infraction. If you want to focus on the injustice brought about by huge sums of money...

Clearly they do, as evidenced by this situation. Being able to buy ads is one thing, being able to buy protesters is another thing altogether. That's putting an awful lot of power in the hands of the wealthy, don't you think? Talk about money equating to speech...

@Maze Clearly they do, as evidenced by this situation. Being able to buy ads is one thing, being able to buy protesters...

I totally agree. I just don't see protesters having any impact on this Presidential inauguration. If I am wrong I'll eat my words.

Campaign donations are far more insidious. They have a direct and often decisive affect on our elections.

Protesting is a right we all have. However, protesters who are bent on disrupting someone else exercising his/her right to free speech are misguided. It justifies the use of that tactic. Some day it will be used to disrupt a speech they may want to have heard. Besides being "un-American", it's just a terrible idea. These folks should be arrested.

@PhilboydStudge I totally agree. I just don't see protesters having any impact on this Presidential inauguration. If I am wrong...

I agree. For eight long years Obama ran his presidency. No one tore up cities or protested. Like it or not Trump is our president. If you don't like it MOVE.

@2473571

I've read about the boycott of L.L.Bean. Is there anything additional?

I didn't know Nicole Kidman was even a US citizen.

@2473185

To keep a convincingly large crowd of protesters on a $2500 monthly retainer, plus $50 per hour for protests in 20+ cities requires SUBSTANTIAL amounts of money, like, billionaire money. I smell George Soros all over it.

@2473192

It's a good point. If the left ever actually solved the problems that unite their base, they'd have to find new problems to unite people around, and that's more difficult and less reliable than simply "addressing" existing problems without ever actually solving them.

It's something I've observed about the left, no matter what they promise, the net result of their leadership is more losers in society, partly because they usually don't know wtf they're doing, but also because the disaffected tend to support the left, so the more disaffected people there are, the better the left's political fortunes... as long as they can convince people blame the right for their problems.

Just in case someone cries 'fakenews' here is a screenshot taken moments ago.

I did a search for "backpage.com operatives" to find this page.

Also found that Backpage has been dragged into Senate hearings and court a number of times for basically being a pimp for human trafficking. Makes sense that the left would hook up with bottom feeders like this.

@Seonag Tucker Carlson exposed this guy last night on his show as a FAKE!...

This is getting confusing.

So, the news story is real, but the company offering protest jobs is fake?

@Budwick This is getting confusing. So, the news story is real, but the company offering protest jobs is fake?

Yep. I'm wondering how many got taken in by the job offer. If you haven't watched the video yet, FOX has it now --- and it is really funny.

@2473214

Excellent point!

I called! I got the Breitbart offices.

LMAO!

@2473181

The ads call it a retainer. Normally when people are paid on that basis it's because they're on call, like firefighters or EMTs. They don't work all the time, but they are expected to drop everything and show up somewhere whenever requested to do so, which is why they're paid a monthly salary. As you can imagine, to keep a hired crowd like that on hand in 20+ cities requires substantial amounts of money - billionaire money - it smells of Soros to me.

BUT, Tucker Carlton exposed the 'owner' of the website and poster of the ads as a FAKE last night. During the interview Dom Tullipso said that they were no longer fighting against Trump, but now against the Trump protesters --- a change that happened 15 minutes before the interview. Oh, the person funding this is doing it to push for the release of the Roswell papers! http://freebeacon.com/politics/...any-is-a-sham/

Anonymous