+7

How copper door handles and fittings can save your life

Making door handles, taps and light switches from copper could help defeat antibiotic-resistant superbugs, according to scientists. A study has found that copper fittings rapidly killed bugs on hospital wards, succeeding where other infection control measures failed. It is believed that the metal 'suffocates' germs, preventing them from breathing. It may also stop them from feeding, and destroy their DNA. Lab tests show that the metal kills off the deadly MRSA and C difficile superbugs. It also kills other dangerous germs, including the flu virus and the E coli food poisoning bug. During the ten-week trial on a medical ward, a set of taps, a lavatory seat and a push plate on an entrance door were replaced with copper versions. The copper items had up to 95 percent fewer bugs on their surface than non-copper versions whenever they were tested.

What Door Handles Actually Kill Bacteria? This simple remedy could save thousands of lives each year.http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2008/11/20/what-door-handles-actually-kill-bacteria.aspxImage for post How copper door handles and fittings can save your life
89%Agree11%Disagree
Mazes avatar
Share
6 13

Good information. Our 100+ house, with it's original brass doorknobs just keeps getting better and getter.

Good to know. The last time I got a bad cold I got it from being in the hospital.

Copper and brass both kill bacteria, but in order to work, the items need to be bare metal. New brass and copper fittings are coated with laquer to keep them from tarnishing, so that coating needs to be removed. But once you remove it, your fittings will need to be polished periodically if you want to keep them shiny.

YouTube video thumbnail

Same thing with silver.

@AliceD Same thing with silver.

True. I'm a big fan of colloidal silver (silver dissolved in water). I've found that if I use it as nasal spray and dose myself liberally at the first signs of a cold or flu, I don't get sick. It's like having the cure for the common cold. :)

@Maze True. I'm a big fan of colloidal silver (silver dissolved in water). I've found that if I use it as nasal spray and...

Too much can make you go blue like a smurf though :) There is some interesting documentation about royals back in the day and the silverware they used.

@AliceD Too much can make you go blue like a smurf though :) There is some interesting documentation about royals back in...

That's true, but you have to take A LOT, like drink a tall glass of it daily for a year.

Yes, I believe using silverware does give a small constant dose of silver, which probably does have some health benefits.

Copper jewelry is also known to be beneficial, and I assume silver is too. A lot of chronic conditions are related to bacteria, viruses and fungi, so it seems logical to me that having a small but constant dose of silver or copper helps keep those things from growing in your body.

"New research suggests that some 40% of chronic lower back pain (CLBP) could be caused by bacteria."
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/803858

Wow! Thanks for sharing 👍🏼

LiVis avatar LiVi Agree +1Reply

Copper and silver were used in the pioneer days to stop growth of slime in water barrels, so the anti-bacterial properties have been known for a very long time. But those were metal ions, not colloidal particles. The actual value of colloidal silver remains unverified.

Speaking of colds, a cold tends to follow a blue spell by about two weeks. You can decide not to be blue, so you can decide not to have a cold. Some people refuse to believe that they have such a power to decide. They go on having colds.

Copper might be ok for hospitals, but the price would go out of sight if homes started using it.

@SmartAZ Copper and silver were used in the pioneer days to stop growth of slime in water barrels, so the anti-bacterial...

If there's ever a mass market demand for copper fittings, it could be satisfied by copper plating. Almost anything can be plated, even some kinds of plastic (They paint the plastic with conductive paint and then plate the paint, but not all types of plastic will hold paint).

I got a roll of copper tape off Ebay and applied it to various items like my mouse, I'm always touching it, but who ever washes their mouse? This way it self sterilizes. I'd love to have a copper keyboard too.

@Maze If there's ever a mass market demand for copper fittings, it could be satisfied by copper plating. Almost anything...

Yes, well, if you are constantly rubbing a plated surface it doesn't stay plated very long.

Anonymous