Lil_Princesss avatar Travel
7 34

Although I'd probably stay where I am at this point in my life, the right job, in the right place, for an obscene amount of money, might sway me.

Who's moving?

I would have to think about it...and discuss it...since it's not just about me. A move generally involves a large number of people, even peripherally...its effect is widespread....

@Sukiesnow Who's moving? I would have to think about it...and discuss it...since it's not just about me. A move generally...

That might be me that's moving but I am moving to another home. I am going to look at a beautiful Victorian home that was last on the market for $449,000 but is now $249,000.

Oh I have had several job offers but they are requiring me to relocate. One in Arizona, one in Florida, one in Texas & one Maryland. I have declined them all. I don't know why I can't walk away from this Jackwagon town permanently.

@Lil_Princess That might be me that's moving but I am moving to another home. I am going to look at a beautiful Victorian home...

I have a huge victorian. You don't own these homes. They own you. Endless maintenance, quite a bit of money to heat and upkeep, and the cycle never ends. Been here over 20 years and it's time to move on.

@JustJimColo I have a huge victorian. You don't own these homes. They own you. Endless maintenance, quite a bit of money to heat...

Oh thank ya. Maybe I will pass on this one. It is 3 stories with a full basement. I bet it will cost me more than I want to put in it.

@Lil_Princess Oh thank ya. Maybe I will pass on this one. It is 3 stories with a full basement. I bet it will cost me more than I...

That's what I have. Put a new roof on last year. 40K Heating in the Winter is about 1K a month. (You don't even want to talk about upgrades like electricity with the lath and plaster walls.) Plumbing can be a unique nightmare all in itself. I have 7 bathrooms and when you get a leak in 140 year old pipes, your vocabulary expands as the nighy goes on.

@JustJimColo That's what I have. Put a new roof on last year. 40K Heating in the Winter is about 1K a month. (You don't even...

Well it looks like I am back to house hunting again. I should have seen there was a reason behind such a low price in that house.

@Lil_Princess Well it looks like I am back to house hunting again. I should have seen there was a reason behind such a low price...

LOL... There are no "deals" on these homes. If you do decide on one down the road (everyone needs to experience grief in their lives from buying a home at least once) get it completely checked out by a plumber, electrician and structural engineer as a contingent for purchasing. (If you can, have the seller pay for it with the understanding that you will pay for it if it passes everything.) It will aslo help you with insurance. Some companies will not insure these old places and insurance can be expensive.

@JustJimColo LOL... There are no "deals" on these homes. If you do decide on one down the road (everyone needs to experience...

Oh I experienced grief in a home I had a long time ago & I don't wish to repeat that again. It was an older home & was glad when I didn't own it anymore.

One additional thing. Some of these homes are on historical registers and sometimes "do gooder" committees with those societies can control what you do with your home, what materials you have to use, etc.

@JustJimColo One additional thing. Some of these homes are on historical registers and sometimes "do gooder" committees with...

Oh I remember a friend of my mama's went through that. I swear she couldn't vacuum without the "do gooder" committee approving it

@Lil_Princess Oh I remember a friend of my mama's went through that. I swear she couldn't vacuum without the "do gooder"...

I've just done a lot of interior work myself so I never bothered to get the permits. I wanted new windows that were energy efficient but the committee said I had to use a certain brand (so they matched the historical aspect of the home. 50K.... I passed so I heat part of Colorado in the Winter.

@JustJimColo I've just done a lot of interior work myself so I never bothered to get the permits. I wanted new windows that were...

Oh wow. I think I would have passed on that too. I don't take to kindly to committees telling me what I can & can't do with my home

@Lil_Princess Oh wow. I think I would have passed on that too. I don't take to kindly to committees telling me what I can & can't...

The committee din't even come in existence until 10 years after I bought the house. (Just a group of idiots who thought their mission in life was to protect the old homes in the Historic North End) What's ironic, is that nobody on the committee even owns a home here.

@JustJimColo The committee din't even come in existence until 10 years after I bought the house. (Just a group of idiots who...

Oh that is just crazy as all get out...that would make me madder than a wet hen if someone tried to tell me what to do & didn't even own a home in my area.

@Lil_Princess Oh that is just crazy as all get out...that would make me madder than a wet hen if someone tried to tell me what to...

I fought with them for a while but then I just did what I wanted. Talked to an attorney friend and he told me they probably couldn't do anything to me since I would be considered "grandfathered" since I owned the property before the ordinances were passed.

I'm excited for you!!

I did think - for a quick heart-stopping moment - you might be moving closer to me. Then we could meet...

But this is great also.

I just reread the price of the house. Hope it's not a fixer-upper, with mould, and water issues.

@Sukiesnow I'm excited for you!! I did think - for a quick heart-stopping moment - you might be moving closer to me. Then we...

Oh there is always a chance that could happen. I ain't ruling anything out just yet. I am getting job offers from every where atm from headhunters since I updated my resume.

I wouldn't hesitate to move anywhere unless it was in the middle of the desert or in a very cold place and even then I might do it for a while

OzSurfers avatar OzSurfer Let's move the job is perfect +1Reply

Well, if I HAVE to locate, perhaps it isn't actually "the perfect job."

If I had someone to go with me, I'd relocate.

No such thing as a perfect job even if you are the big wig owner...every job has its good and bad points.Just follow your dreams and make it happen

Anonymous