+1

It is only a matter of time before Teletext kills the Internet, amirite?

What does Internet have that Teletext doesn't?

Image for post It is only a matter of time before Teletext kills the Internet, amirite?
HegeMaries avatar Technology
5 28
The voters have decided that HegeMarie is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

I had to google teletext. I have never heard of it.
So, what does teletext have that internet doesnt?

@Carla I had to google teletext. I have never heard of it. So, what does teletext have that internet doesnt?

Carla - I had to go look it up. This is what i found, right or wrong I don't know. Too bad original poster hadn't explained eh? lolwut smilie
Teletext (or broadcast teletext) is a television information retrieval service created in the United Kingdom in the early 1970

Or, if you live in America, Electra. I wouldn't be surprised if it ever made a comeback!

Mashas avatar Masha Yeah You Are +2Reply
@Marianne We used the teletext quite often on TV, but it disappeared from many channels. Here's some...

I remember this as something we used in my childhood.
I almost completely forgot that it existed, and didn't use it for years until I saw a headline about it being removed from one of our mayor TV channels.
It made me go and have a look.
In some way it was like a Flintstone's Internet.
It had news, weather forecasts, games, you could buy and sell, there was dating services, ads and more.
Did we really need Internet at all? wink smilie

HegeMaries avatar HegeMarie Yeah You Are +1Reply
@HegeMarie I remember this as something we used in my childhood. I almost completely forgot that it existed, and didn't use it...

Well, I am also missing the teletext in several of the popular channels from our neighbours (our own main channels have them, with the TV programmes, short news, etc. - for TV, it is fine); but Internet has much more to offer, for professional, technical specifications, and also for leisure.

But - like with every technological invention and/or improvement, there will be also abusers, trolls, propagandists and fraudsters, trying to mess up everything. And we get enough bad news in real life ...

hug smiliesmile smilie

@HegeMarie That is true. I don't recall any trolls, fools or narr on Teletext, at least

Lol, if it was on TV (with old-fashioned systems), you could not intervene directly (except for paging) without a special remote device or equipment - but that was some time ago.

And I suppose that the dubious activities on teletext were advertisements with expensive telephone call numbers.

smile smiliehehe smilie

Hello, HegeMarie - how are you doing?
I missed your sunny presence.

@Marianne Hello, HegeMarie - how are you doing? I missed your sunny presence.

Hello, Marianne!
Doing fine, how have you been?
This is the busiest time of year, but this day is off because of Ascension. Do you have that in Switzerland?
It seems they don't in the US, at least not in all states.

I missed you too, and I miss the sun's sunny present as well. We have fog and rain right nowwink smilie

@HegeMarie Hello, Marianne! Doing fine, how have you been? This is the busiest time of year, but this day is off because of...

Thank you, HegeMarie - it was a busy time too, here. We are, of course, celebrating Ascension Day officially.

We had also a very capricious weather, mostly clouded, partly rainy, but still not enough to compensate for the dry years - and snow in late April. Temperatures went up and down. Yesterday was rather sunny and mild, and today will be bright and hot.

smile smilie

@Marianne Thank you, HegeMarie - it was a busy time too, here. We are, of course, celebrating Ascension Day officially. We...

That is good to hear. All in all, our May have been warm and sunny too, only a few days of rain.
Today we have 19 degrees!
Gonna bring a good book and go out and enjoy this h smilie

Whether or not Ascension Day is going to be a workday or not have been under discussion in Norway. That is why I asked. I know that it isn't in many countries. Wasn't sure about Switzerlandbiggrin smilie

@HegeMarie That is good to hear. All in all, our May have been warm and sunny too, only a few days of rain. Today we have 19...

Our neighbours have quite a few official holidays, which we don't have or which are only celebrated in some cantons. Ascension Day is an official holiday since long. But May 1st, for instance, is not an official holiday, except for a few cantons.

By the way, the temperatures reached around 27 °C today.
We had a rather cool period, but not enough rainfall, and we had exceptionally late snow this year.

hmm smiliehehe smilie

Teletext (or broadcast teletext) is a television information retrieval service created in the United Kingdom in the early 1970s

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teletext

http://www.broadbandtvnews.com/...etext-service/

nme smilieno smilie

Cezars avatar Cezar No Way +1Reply
@Cezar Teletext (or broadcast teletext) is a television information retrieval service created in the United Kingdom in the...

Oh you found the same link, I just posted the same thing. Isn't it sad - original poster was too lazy to include a link so we could understand?people expect us to know about things in another country,

@LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred Oh you found the same link, I just posted the same thing. Isn't it sad - original poster was too lazy to include a...

Sorry, LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred.cry smilie

I didn't mean to confuse you, and I didn't mean to annoy you.
It's just.. I don't know how not to.

Of course I don't expect you to know about things in OTHER countries. I mean, who does?
My sincerest apologies.

Should you because of this withold your charming, insightful and witty remarks on any future post of mine, and rather choose to spread your sunshine elsewhere; know that it will be understood.
My loss entirelypce smilie

HegeMaries avatar HegeMarie Yeah You Are +3Reply

teletext? What is that?

Sadly nothing lasts forever

Lil_Princesss avatar Lil_Princess Yeah You Are -1Reply

Strange...i've never heard of it but i guess anything is possible..

DandyDons avatar DandyDon Yeah You Are -1Reply