+11

Is a lie by omission really a lie? How much are you vested in full disclosure?

You've been married to someone for 5 years and suddenly, up comes a dirty secret. How does that make you feel? And what if someone just didn't KNOW?

Image for post **Is a lie by omission really a lie?** //How much are you vested in full disclosure?//
Sukiesnows avatar Jokes & Humour
8 24

I live a very private life, and it's no one's business but mine. And, if my partner had a private past life, so what?

@beachbum I live a very private life, and it's no one's business but mine. And, if my partner had a private past life, so what?

So, if your partner, in a previous relationship, had a mutual abortion...you wouldn't mind not being told that?

Just an example and I wish I could think of others... Well there are others but some can be gross... Your ex spent personal time in Male bathouses...likes you to wear diapers...which brings up other questions... See...I did say gross...

I'm hoping my Mark Rothko pic will add some beauty to this post.

@Sukiesnow So, if your partner, in a previous relationship, had a mutual abortion...you wouldn't mind not being told...

The past can't be changed, and if I was involved with someone who wanted me to wear a diaper - well, I wouldn't be involved with him. I am very, very particular about who I might get involved with, and I won't stay if I see the relationship moving away from my standards - been there, done that, and never, again. Life is to short

If you choose to keep quiet, letting the person believe in a lie when you know the truth, you are contributing for the lie.

Sofias avatar Sofia Agree +1Reply
@Sofia If you choose to keep quiet, letting the person believe in a lie when you know the truth, you are contributing for...

There is also a persons right to privacy...and other points I can't think of right now.

It's always been a complex, multi faceted question.

A lie is a lie is a lie. Not disclosing the truth while implying something is not as it is, is no different than speaking the lie.
If you were selling your car and the buyer asked how it runs, and you said fine, knowing the transmission was about shot. That's a lie.
A persons integrity is measured by their honesty.

@JustJimColo A lie is a lie is a lie. Not disclosing the truth while implying something is not as it is, is no different than...

What about a possible lie that you tell people about yourself? How do you know that isn't just a lie? Ha.

Just teasing.

@Sukiesnow What about a possible lie that you tell people about yourself? How do you know that isn't just a lie? Ha. Just teasing.

What kind of lie would I tell someone about myself? That I look like Sean Connery in his 40's? That I have a PHD in physics? That I am worth 20 million dollars? Lies are easily discovered.
Now I will tell "certain lies" that my conscious can live with, such as if asked how I liked some food someone prepared for me which I didn't like. (Like a child asking you after they prepared their first meal) Or how pretty someones baby was, when it actually was probably born with a tail.

@JustJimColo What kind of lie would I tell someone about myself? That I look like Sean Connery in his 40's? That I have a PHD in...

You might give the impression that you are ugly and old when that might not be the truth. smile smilie

I did also say I was teasing...riight? Ha.

@Sukiesnow You might give the impression that you are ugly and old when that might not be the truth. I did also say I...

You know how old I am. Few are lying when they claim to be that old. LOL

As to looks, are those in the eyes of the beholder?

@JustJimColo You know how old I am. Few are lying when they claim to be that old. LOL As to looks, are those in the eyes of...

That old... Laughing...snorting actually...

Which beholder is the question. And don't say you're looking in the mirror.

@Sukiesnow That old... Laughing...snorting actually... Which beholder is the question. And don't say you're looking in the mirror.

LOL... I never said I was ugly.... It's just that people often get a picture in their mind of what someone looks like and are often surprised, both ways. What's attractive to one, isn't always attractive to another.

I've known women who thought they were so beautiful that they were God's gift to men. Some of these I wouldn't have taken to a dog fight, even if they were favored to win. (Same with some men, as I am sure you would agree.)

Not telling someone something all depends on the situation. If it is a dangerous omission that could hurt someone it has to be told. There's
the outright lie, the white lie, the being quiet to not hurt some one's feelings and then the serious omission. A friend told me there was trouble in their marriage. I had already heard the speculation but didn't say anything. Things got better and I was glad I didn't play into the drama by telling what I knew.
There are times to be quiet and times to speak up.

It is if you PURPOSELY omit things. I feel like it's about intention. For example, if you asked me if I had apples in my fridge, and I told you I didn't but I did I would have "lied" because that statement is factually inaccurate. However, it was not the intent. If, however, a person asked their partner if they were at a certain location and they were, they could say yes... but they might leave out who they were there WITH to "lie by omission". That's the difference.

Trishs avatar Trish Agree +1Reply

"The truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth" is not necessary when replying to all questions unless you are obligated to do so.

Oh this topic led to a major fight between my best friend Bradly & I one day. We never keep secrets from each other & one day the jackwagon decided to do so. Well he learned quickly that at some point I will find out the truth one way or another. So I proceeded to confront him about it & he says "it wasn't a lie, it was omission of the truth".

Yes I blew a fuse like I never have before. I was like "a damn fool that is a lie & ya know it". He proceed to keep claiming it was an omission. So I kindly turned the tables on him. He got mad at me for keep something from him. I simply stated there shouldn't be an issue it ain't a lie it was an omission of the the truth. Long story short ain't another "omission" been told since hehe smilie

@Sukiesnow Ha ha ha... I love the fact that you can argue with a bff and still stay loved ones.

We have had one major fight where I didn't speak to him for several months. I probably would have continued to ignore him a lot longer but when he started crying cause I wouldn't talk to him, I gave in. That is the second time that fool cried & made me change my mind the first is when I was going to move to Texas after getting a nice job offer.