Take a tour of a recently abandoned 140 year old black college. Should Historic Knoxville College be saved?

[From Wikipedia] Knoxville College is a historically black liberal arts college in Knoxville, Tennessee, United States, which was founded in 1875 by the United Presbyterian Church of North America to educate the city's free blacks and freed slaves. In addition to black students, the school also had many white students until 1901, when Tennessee passed a law forcibly segregating all schools. In 1957, Knoxville College became one of the first group of predominantly black institutions admitted to full membership in the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS). Beginning in the 1970s, Knoxville College began to struggle financially, leading to a gradual decline. In 1997, the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools withdrew Knoxville College's accreditation; enrollment dropped precipitously and the school's financial situation became dire. As enrollment plummeted, the school's debt skyrocketed and it was soon unable to pay its faculty or electric bills. Throughout the rest of the 1990s, as enrollment plummeted, most campus buildings were shuttered and abandoned, and most degree programs were discontinued. In August 2005, the school's Board of Trustees fired the school's president, Barbara Hatton. Following Hatton's removal, the school's alumni association embarked on an aggressive fundraising campaign to save the college and return it to solvency. In January 2010, the school hired Dr. Horace A. Judson as interim president. Judson implemented a new strategic plan. However, Judson soon left and the college continued to struggle. On June 9, 2014, the Environmental Protection Agency seized control of the long-shuttered A.K. Stewart Science Hall to conduct an emergency clean-up of toxic chemicals that the college had improperly stored in laboratories. In April 2015, the school announced it was suspending classes for the Fall 2015 term in hopes of reorganizing. Enrollment had dwindled to just 11 students, and the college was struggling to pay back a $4.5 million loan from 2003 and more than $425,000 to the federal government for the Stewart Science Hall cleanup. In May 2015, the school announced classes would resume in the Fall 2016 term. In May 2016, the Tennessee Department of Environment and Conservation recommended the college become a state Superfund site due to ongoing contamination concerns from the Stewart Science Hall. In September 2016, the City of Knoxville demanded that Knoxville College make repairs to fourteen of its buildings within 90 days or face condemnation. City crews subsequently boarded up the buildings. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knoxville_College

Abandoned College Campus - Chemicals and Specimens Left BehindIn this episode, we explore an abandoned historic college campus. The science building was completely full of items including vintage computers, chemicals, a...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvcUFkNLwrA
66% Save it 31% Let it die 3% Other
Mazes avatar News & Current Events
3 10

If it's privately owned, taxpayers should not be forced to foot the bill. It doesn't matter if it was a black school or a white school.

@JustJimColo If it's privately owned, taxpayers should not be forced to foot the bill. It doesn't matter if it was a black...

Trump has repeatedly stated his desire to repair America's aging infrastructure - roads, bridges and schools. But I didn't ask who should pay for it, just whether it should be done. It's a 140 year old school, I think it's a shame for it to die.

@Maze Trump has repeatedly stated his desire to repair America's aging infrastructure - roads, bridges and schools. But I...

None of us want our historical institutions die, nor do we want to see our infrastructure continue to crumble. I am sure there would be thousands of things saved if everyone had input on what should be saved. It boils down to what can we afford to save, and the wallet is empty. I know that there are building in small towns, old small town theaters that have a 100 years of history that people want to save. Which ones end up getting saved? The ones that get people together to raise the money to do it. Building and old institutions don't (and shouldn't ) get saved by taking more of peoples hard earned money. They get saved by getting enough people who care, to work to save them.

I like history

Plus, (since I cant find my comment lol) Once you demolish a historic structure....thats it! You can never have it bavck

This is in Knoxville Tennessee. When did it close down. The last time I was there it was open. I have not been in Knoxville Tennessee send 1985. They can save it. Use it for other things. The buildings do not look bad.

Bluejays avatar Bluejay Save it +1Reply

The building looks good. The inside looks good. All that mess was uncalled for. It not to far Interstate 81, 75. If I remember correctly. You can see it from the interstate. They can do something with the place for the community. The University of Tennessee could use it. There a community college there that could use it.

Bluejays avatar Bluejay Save it +1Reply

It no reason at all what they did to the buildings. I was able to watch some of the videos but it was making me sick and my wife in seeing what they did to the place. That was uncalled for. I hope they find who did it and put them away in a mental place.

Bluejays avatar Bluejay Save it +1Reply
Anonymous