+20

I joined this site just over a month ago. I joined to have intellegent conversation and debate. You know....you give your views, i give mine. I find out why you think as you do, you gain insight on my views. Maybe not agreement, but maybe...common ground. Im sorry to say, i have not found that here. No, i take that back. I have found little here. So much venom. Name calling, ugliness. It has nothing to do with political correctness. It has to do with respect. Dont all y'all think enough is enough? If not, well, too bad. I had higher expectations of you....but thats my fault.

Image for post I joined this site just over a month ago. I joined to have intellegent conversation and debate.   You know....you give your views, i give mine. I find out why you think as you do, you gain insight on my views. Maybe not agreement, but maybe...common ground.  Im sorry to say, i have not found that here. No, i take that back. I have found little here. So much venom. Name calling, ugliness. It has nothing to do with political correctness. It has to do with respect. Dont all  y'all think enough is enough?  If not, well, too bad. I had higher expectations of you....but thats my fault.
Carlas avatar Language
21 130
@2481482

That too bad ser.
Really leaves me sad for our country.
It leaves me wanting to go back to my own personal world, away from such hatred

@2481505

HEY! YOU PROMISED to delete that video of me dancing in my costume!

@2481500

You won't argue with me? Why not? ;p jk jk

@2481530

Yeah, we men on the right take no abuse whatsoever from liberal women.

@JerryHendrickson Yeah, we men on the right take no abuse whatsoever from liberal women.

God no Jerry, they're intelligent and sophisticated women, they'd never resort to petty insults and name calling when debating with conservatives.

@2481510

Glad you're back, friend.

@2482226

Be careful with that pineapple, JD.

Wear thick gloves. biggrin smilie

There is a lot of venom, stay strong, your heart is in the right place.

I feel you. Amirite can be brutal! Always stay strong and follow your heart. Here's a hug!hug smilie

Mashas avatar Masha Agree +9Reply

I can understand your feelings and shock considering that this is the first site you've been a member of.

I was a member of another site before this called sodahead for just over ten years and it had elements of brutality and hate that makes amirite seem like fairyland.

I've seen many come and go, and basically they learn to adapt to the craziness. So they either join in with the political discussions and develop thick skin, they avoid politics completely like me or they cave in and leave.

I have tried to use the political anger here as a learning tool to work around the negativity and try and bring some good feelings without taking sides because no matter what site you join, it the political heat will come up from time to time, so dealing with it, working out who's a good person amongst it all - even if you don't agree with their politics is a good skill to develop I think.

I for one are pleased you are here and I hope you are able to adapt to the occasional volatility and stay on, because I know a lot of us would miss you hug smilie

@OzSurfer I can understand your feelings and shock considering that this is the first site you've been a member of. I was...

Thank you dallas. You are a very nice man.

At present, i am going nowhere.
I have decided to try and change my approach.

You were not here earlier in the day. There were very ugly, racist posts put up. They were removed, but they struck a nerve.

Im not easily insulted, but they were over the line.

You do bring good feelings here for me. And you are appreciated. Your kind and humorous words often bring me much needed grins. Especially on a sleepless night such as this.

And this time of year, you are a pleasant reminder that its summer on the beach somewhere.:)

@Carla Thank you dallas. You are a very nice man. At present, i am going nowhere. I have decided to try and change my...

Thank you Carla! I've only been on here about a year so I believe it's changed a lot from how it was before. Coping with hateful politics is one thing but racism is something that would bother me a lot. Speaking of summer, it's actually so hot here at the moment that I'm dreaming of a cool breeze from somewhere north biggrin smilie

@OzSurfer Thank you Carla! I've only been on here about a year so I believe it's changed a lot from how it was before...

I will telepath you some if mine.....no wait, i dont know how.
So sorry.
Well, its 2:30 in the morning, if i dont try and sleep i will be useless

I hope you find some relief from the heat......

Oh this is her first site? ... yeah I completely agree with OzSurfer ... then again... I almost always complete agree with him...

But yeah, sodahead was SOOOO much worse and the first advice I gave any new person on there was to avoid the politics question because it's just an attack hate fest for people who love to attack and troll.

Of course, new people never listen (I can't blame them, I would want to see for myself as well)... but they quickly learned I was correct and if could they either stayed out of the politics subjects or they burned out fairly quickly.

Online politics is just asking for a hateful debate (more or less).

@Zolfie Oh this is her first site? ... yeah I completely agree with OzSurfer ... then again... I almost always complete...

Zolfie, i came here for understanding. And many i have developed respectiful conversational relationships with.
For me, if i stayed out of politics here, i wouldnt be here often.

Although i truly enjoy the other topics too.
This post was sparked by truly ugly racist posts. And some of the name calling just seems as it should be beneath intelligent people. And i know in some cases i may be being generous.
Thank you though, for your input, your comments and posts are always appreciated by me.

Some of y'all are a hoot.:):):);)

@Carla Zolfie, i came here for understanding. And many i have developed respectiful conversational relationships...

Well we want you here, so stay on politics some ;) :)

Yeah racist is over the line.
You're welcome.

@2481498

Thank you monalea. Im worn out too.

Well... it is the internet. Luckily not everyone's like that. I have disagreed with people without going through the whole insulting method of disagreement. Some people can still be civil, even if they know they don't have to face the consequences if they weren't.

Sofias avatar Sofia Agree +8Reply
@Sofia Well... it is the internet. Luckily not everyone's like that. I have disagreed with people without going...

There are indeed a couple, no a few, people with which i can have real, but conflicting discussions with. Because of that, i am clearer as too why they believe what they believe. I respect that. So, in turn, i respect them.

@2481526

Mona - If I may jump in and offer a friendly observation. A statement like "pushing back on this loon of a president" without something specific you disagree with is going to make your opposition bristle, before you ever get into a discussion of what is really bothering you.

@2483408

Of course you're entitled to your opinion.

I'm seeing a lot more ugly on the left than the right.

It seems like it always become blind venom when ever some political thing hits on all social media... I really think political people go to sonically media to find those that agree with them and bash anyone who doesn't clearly agree with them.

I love/hate it, when I agree with someone but they're so in bash'em mode that they don't even stop to read my post correctly and attack my viewpoint (because they think I'm disagreeing)... when really I just agreed with them and added on.

It has happened to me from all sides.

The worst part is that they try to act like their side is innocent of acting juvenile and stupid when the reality is that all sides have and do act juvenile and stupid at times...

I rarely agree with you politically. Have I disrespected you? Have I belittled you?

I try not to be mean to the people I chat with online, and I've been fairly successful in that effort, not perfect. The last election was a battle royal, and manners sometimes went out the window. Hopefully things will calm down now that it's over, but there will always be topics that bring out the worst in people.

If you're going into a fire, you should bring water, not gasoline, but even if you do, there's still a good chance you'll get burned if you hang out there. I've been called every name in the book talking politics on the internet, but whatever, it's only words. Send 'em love...

@2481767

Thank you john, you have always been polite to me. That is appreciated. I dont mind arguing. Its the ugliness that i get discouraged with. A gold debate Is enlightening

Either I don't see a lot of venom or I've gotten immune to it.

@Sukiesnow I was out... Bad day, huh?

Yeah, the really ugly stuff was removed, but not before i read it. Good u took the day off

@2481978

I dont know who is was, but THAT person does need to go

@2481986

I read them all.
And i agree.
Some things just cross lines
Of course we have been called some pretty ugly things too

@2481986

I'm glad I missed them eek smilie

@2481986

For you to say that it must have been bad.

@2481956

Totally agree. They are the pop in and punch you types. Im trying to learn to ignore them

No one seems to want to debate. Whenever I leave a comment, if someone doesn't agree with what I have said, then they come back at me with a snide comment, I think just to bait me and start a fight. When that happens I usually just walk away, but if they persist with their insinuations and nastiness, then I will block. At least I won't have to put up with it anymore.

I put up a fun post the other day, or at least it wasn't political, and someone made a snide comment about the food I was serving. How rude is that.... I politely replied, and that was the end of the conversation. I guess some people don't know how to react when someone is nice to them. Sad, isn't it?

You're right enough is enough. It's time we all had some fun again.

@StarzAbove No one seems to want to debate. Whenever I leave a comment, if someone doesn't agree with what I have said, then...

I'll debate... let's start with the debate of, what's the best type of underwear ;)

I'll debate the point of soft and comfortable :)

@Zolfie I'll debate... let's start with the debate of, what's the best type of underwear ;) I'll debate the point of...

lol There's no debating there, I'm sure we would agree on soft and comfortable, and maybe silky as well.

@StarzAbove lol There's no debating there, I'm sure we would agree on soft and comfortable, and maybe silky as well.

okay, so you're taking soft, comfortable and silky stance for the debate...

I'll then take durable, supportive and attractive...

Let's debate!

I saw that starz. He has done me dirty on harmless posts too. I just leave him to his misery now.

Oh My. Everyone so unhappy? Try to get along if that won't work ignore the posts you don't like. No fighting makes a fighter more upset than anything else. chew smilie

Not you jerry. You are in my few factor

@Carla Not you jerry. You are in my few factor

I'm glad of that because that's my goal. I see everyone hating each other merely because they disagree and I'm trying not to be like that.

I've had some nice dicussions with Maze and a few others.

vegans avatar vegan Disagree +5Reply
@vegan I've had some nice dicussions with Maze and a few others.

Ive had good discussions with many here.
Thats a good thing. It when we start calling people names. Making racial posts, and degrading people. Thats my issue

I've enjoyed our discussions too. You're able to have a debate without it turning into a fight, that's a good quality.

I enjoy a good debate, and in order to have one, I need someone who holds a differing opinion. That doesn't mean I like argument for the sake of argument, but I like to have my ideas challenged and to challenge the ideas of others.

We all think we're right, and discovering that we're wrong is painful, but often our greatest steps forward come when we discover we're wrong. So I try to embrace the pain when it comes because it means I grew.

I think I understand how you feel, Carla. When I first joined another site that many us here were formerly on, I was rather stunned by the ugliness I saw. Even the most civil of dissenting opinions were subject to a barrage of personally insulting responses. It was early on in Obama's presidency, and many of the posts were downright sickening.
It's not like I didn't know how hateful people can be, I'd just never seen so many in ONE place.

There ARE reasonable people on this site, who appreciate others who can disagree with civility. It's a shame that those who choose not to, can have such a negative impact.

Unfortunately Carla, it appears that you just want confirmation of your own beliefs, which are on the left. Trump supporters will not be tolerated, listened to or able to have discussions from those on the left. I am not attacking you, just making an observation in response to your post.

@ozzyboy Unfortunately Carla, it appears that you just want confirmation of your own beliefs, which are on the left. Trump...

I have had civil and constructive conversations with people here that are conflicting. But have found, as i said, common ground. I am not looking for affirmation, i do not require that from a website. I came here wishing to understand, and i joined after the election.
I did not think i woukd discovet such hatred.

Agreeing to disagree and doing it with decency is what is supposed to make this county great. Not some slogan, but for real

@Carla I have had civil and constructive conversations with people here that are conflicting. But have found, as i said...

It appears that the liberal lefties are highly upset over the results of the election while the righties have suffered from the last 8 years. What's so perplexing to you? Like someone else said, if you think there is hatred on the little site, you should really try some others. This site is fairly mild compared to what is out there. I came from Sodahead and I really like the people on here. I hope you can reconcile yourself to the other amiriters on here, but please don't put this site down.

@ozzyboy It appears that the liberal lefties are highly upset over the results of the election while the righties have...

This is the only site i have EVER been on. I have never railed against the site itself. It just has seemed to become so ampted up. Earlier a few very nasty racial posts.
Name calling, just ugly.

I dont feel the need to reconsile, i dont think i insulted anyone, did i.
Did i insult you, if so, i do apologige....

@Carla This is the only site i have EVER been on. I have never railed against the site itself. It just has seemed to...

I don't feel insulted, I take most of this stuff with a grain of salt. I did have one post taken down because it was truly vicious but usually I just let it go. I am curious about the posts that have you so upset. Can you let the rest of us know about them?

Yep, agree to disagree is the way to go. Trying to find common ground is what is best for everyone, but sadly, so many lines have been drawn that one side usually doesn't want to hear what the other has said. Without the effort put in to find that common ground - 'united we stand, divided we fall', and I fear that is what is happening.

As a conservative/independent, I did not care for Obama at all - not because he was black, but because of his politics, but I got so tired of being called a racist or a liar when I would tell someone it wasn't his race. While there were a lot of anti-Obama posts, there was never anywhere near the hate/violence as seen in recent months. It's sad - the whole situation/circumstance is terribly sad and so destructive.

@2481917

There is a fellow here that does the same thing in their direction. Read a religious post yesterday that was definitely written to start a fight. He has posted political ones like that too. But one guy.

@2481955

I know. But freedom of speech and all....
I enjoy very many though. You are at the top of the list!!
But there are a few all coming in at a very close second......

@2481962

I dont see them being removed. Best thing is to not feed them, they just get bolder. Unfortunely if just one thing in their poisonous rants ring to another then is goes into a bashfest

@2481972

Ive not done that yet, but may well consider it

@2481559

Unfortunaty, i have difficulty producing my underbelly too. I have never whined. I have never cried. I have always, only, stated my case.. But, the issue is the hateful and baiting posts, from both ends. And. i must say, the ugliness and name calling is childish and unnerving.

@2481569

Wasnt me, but you are correct. I too, am an " I must be heard" kind of woman. I am trying to tone it down.

@2481484

Tell me chance, tell me please why you were so vehemently opposed to obama? Was it his policies? If so which policies?
If not his policies then what? Say it loud, chance. Im getting old so i need to hear.
What did obama do that negatively affected your life? Tell me please, i truly would like to know.

Yes? So what's new? All my memories hurt too.

I love you.Wtf

I completely agree, Masha, and I'm all for intelligent conversation, actually intelligent conversation is the only reason I'm here, but as you say there is far to little of it here. Now, I'll admit I don't get here often, but I'm more than willing to have a conversation with you...might there be anything in particular you have in mind?

I stayed out of politics for the last 8 years(on the internet anyway) and i'm shortly going back to that..

If you like wasteful arguments, that don't accomplish anything but wasting your time...discuss politics or religion...

Very few people care or want to understand what the person that disagrees with them, has to say... That's just the way it is..

@Carla Thats what makes me question the civility of our nation. It too bad

Well it comes from both sides..

The same way you think Obama was a great president and think everything about Trump is wrong..is the same thinking Trump supporters have about him..

And to be honest...
All of this mostly started by the constant bashing, name calling by people that don't like Trump..

There were no attempts to have civil discussions by most, it was just post after post to antagonize..

Then when Trump supporters finally had enough and started firing back..(brought me out of my 8 years absence).it wasn't so much fun anymore...

You can't keep attacking someone and wave a flag for truce, at the same time..

@DandyDon Well it comes from both sides.. The same way you think Obama was a great president and think everything about...

Did i ever attack you dd? I have maybe said a few disparaging things about the man himself, but i dont think i have ever, ever attacked anyone because of their genderr, color, sexual preference or personal choices. If i have, i do apologige. And i am not asking for truce. I am asking for people to be at least civil.

@Carla Did i ever attack you dd? I have maybe said a few disparaging things about the man himself, but i dont think i have...

I never said you attacked me..

All i'm saying, is that the best i can remember..
this all started with constant post after post, calling Trump names, bashing him and calling supporters ignorant, blind,dumb and a few other choice words..

It was all one sided, until Trump supporters started firing back..then feelings started getting hurt..

A person can only go so long without saying anything, when constantly being provoked..

I can be civil or i can play the game just as dirty as everyone else..either way, that's not up to just me..

@DandyDon I never said you attacked me.. All i'm saying, is that the best i can remember.. this all started with constant...

I hear you, and i appreciate your candor.

If i stay here, i wont be able to stop myself from asking questions regarding the state of current events. But, i will be respectful and refrain from engaging in disparaging remarks to the people here.

@Carla I hear you, and i appreciate your candor. If i stay here, i wont be able to stop myself from asking questions...

People seem to have forgotten how badly the conservatives treated President Obama, and now that we post our thoughts about Trump, they whine and moan about it.