+4

The scientifically contrived western (Gregorian) calendar seems created to enforce business cycles on the powerless masses. Workers can see the moon cycles but not the artificial calculations of cloistered scribes. Happy year of the Rooster. Enjoy the moonless night.

VicZincs avatar Animals & Nature
5 13

That and the sundial were high tech..

@2482831

Maybe not. If that's the definition we agree on then no. If we can be flexible and define it as working 9 to 5 Monday through Friday with 2 weeks vacation, then yes.

@VicZinc Maybe not. If that's the definition we agree on then no. If we can be flexible and define it as working 9 to 5...

You think being limited to working 9 - 5, Monday through Friday with 2 weeks vacation is a bad thing? Would you prefer to work 12 hours a day, 7 days a week with no vacation? Because that's what working used to be like before the church came along and got everyone a day off every week. It wasn't until the industrial era that unions lobbied for labor standards.

In any case, there are more opportunities to work outside of normal business hours than ever before, if that's your thing.

Do you also play records in reverse to find evidence of conspiracies?

@VicZinc Ok Don't enjoy the moonless night. What do I care.

Just ribbing you---

Oh, I love a moonless night---especially if I am far enough away from the city lights to be able to see the Milky Way.

What utter nonsense, Vic; I'll be generous and say you're probably trying to pull our collective legs again. biggrin smilie

Workers in cultures that use/used lunar calendars are/were perfectly well aware of the solar year by observation of the solstices and equinoxes. After all, the crops had to be planted according to the solar season, not the phase of the moon. And leap months were inserted in lunar calendars to keep them in synch with the solar year long before the Gregorian, or even the Julian, calendars were developed.

@VicZinc OK. Then you don't have to enjoy the new moon. Not really a big deal to me.

Another of your leg-pulling non-sequiturs, Vic. biggrin smilie

I, or any worker, can enjoy any phase of the moon as much as I like, and not be oppressed by a solar calendar, which is not artificial at all, but which can be naturally observed by watching the sun, or even easier, watching the positions of the stars at night as the seasons change. The Big Dipper, for example, is a marvelous clock that tells you what part of the solar year you're in. eyes smilie

If you want to talk about business cycles you have to mention Kondratieff. He analyzed market records to illustrate business cycles dating all the way back to the twelfth century. The modern calendar dates only from the sixteenth century. So whatever you are talking about, you need to wade through an awful lot of research to support it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikolai_Kondratiev
https://www.amazon.com/s?field-...ds=Kondratieff

@SmartAZ If you want to talk about business cycles you have to mention Kondratieff. He analyzed market records to illustrate...

No I don't. But thank you for doing it.

Workers can see moon cycles. They cannot see Kondratieff's calculations.

Either way, I hope you enjoyed the new moon.

@VicZinc No I don't. But thank you for doing it. Workers can see moon cycles. They cannot see Kondratieff's...

I'm not a moony, so maybe I don't know what you're talking about. If that is the case then feel free to ignore my post.

Anonymous