Your teaching someone how to cook, what is one important piece of advice you would make sure to share?

Never walk away...otherwise the room fills with smoke & ya got a lot of explaining to do

Image for post Your teaching someone how to cook, what is one important piece of advice you would make sure to share?
46% Oh it has to be this_________ 8% I don't cook 8% I would inform them of a few things_________ 15% I need someone to teach me 23% Other
Lil_Princesss avatar Jokes & Humour
7 21
Sukiesnows avatar Sukiesnow Oh it has to be this_________ +2Reply

Get aquainted with herbs and spices

@Carla Get aquainted with herbs and spices

Yes some can be a little bit confusing. Some can also ruin a dish if ya add to much.

@Lil_Princess Yes some can be a little bit confusing. Some can also ruin a dish if ya add to much.

Yepper.
Im not certain if that was a question truly meant for yourself.

If so, you can get great info on google. Once you have successfully made dishes according specific recipes, then you can tweek them to your own taste.

@Carla Yepper. Im not certain if that was a question truly meant for yourself. If so, you can get great info on google...

Actually my question was an idea created from a text from a friend of mine who is teaching cooking lessons to some friends of his.

But that is another really good piece of advice.

Keep your takeout number handy! Then experiment and have fun.

For a serious answer -
1. read the whole recipe a couple of times
2. assemble all needed equipment and ingredients
3. read your recipe again
4. Follow the directions exactly
5. Enjoy your dish
One thing I do when I start something new, I get a children's book and read it on the topic I need to learn about. It helped me a lot when computers came in and I was so clueless. We just got a children's cooking set and book for the grandkids. They love to help out in the kitchen. Your friend's friends may not need to go all the way back to the beginning with the kids stuff - but it may help.

@ozzyboy For a serious answer - 1. read the whole recipe a couple of times 2. assemble all needed equipment and...

Oh that is a really good suggestion. Thank ya. I will have to mention it. Every little bit helps.

Clean up during...and while cooking.

Good question, Printess.

Sukiesnows avatar Sukiesnow Oh it has to be this_________ +3Reply
@Sukiesnow Clean up during...and while cooking. Good question, Printess.

There is a french term for that.....
Mise en place.....
Perfect advise, sukie

@Carla There is a french term for that..... Mise en place..... Perfect advise, sukie

Thanks hon.

it's based on do as I say not as I do...ha...

@2483504

Oh those are the greatest times biggrin smilie

There are other positions besides "HI" on the stove dials for a reason!

goblue1968s avatar goblue1968 Oh it has to be this_________ +2Reply
@goblue1968 There are other positions besides "HI" on the stove dials for a reason!

Honestly that is an important one. I was teaching a friend to cook once & she was bad about putting everything in "Hi". Once she got past that she became a darn good cook.

Don't put a pot of beans on, then go watch Back To The Future..

DandyDons avatar DandyDon Oh it has to be this_________ +1Reply

As the cook, it's always all right to be surprised, but never surprise your guests unless you intended to from the beginning.