+16

Keyless entry makes it almost unbelievably easy for a hacker to unlock your vehicle

[Jose Barrientos] Hacking into a car using SDR, with a few GNUradio scripts I put together. Given the simplicity of the attack, it is only a matter of time before this is the standard way people steal cars. [Maze] Since all that's really needed is a computer and an antenna, and it's possible for people to write their own smartphone apps, I wouldn't be surprised if it can be done with a phone. But that's just a guess. In any case, I don't think this technique could be used to actually steal your car, but it can definitely get the doors open, so it's another good reason not to leave anything valuable in your car.

How Hackers Steal CarsHacking into a car using SDR, with a few GNUradio scripts I put together. Given the simplicity of the attack, it is only a matter of time before this is the ...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rccg7i_l6Fw&list=UUASVfzDguNmiWF4oFA_TuDg
Mazes avatar Technology
7 10

Grrrrr...and the sound of teeth...gnashing...

They could turn it in to a lucrative business & become a locksmith hehe smilie

Sorry I lack the ability to be serious today

I've seen other video's where people have used a similar system of cloning the unlock signal to steal a car but I think it'll be like any new technology, while the car manufacturers find the theft stats are low, they won't change the system, but if it becomes an issue, then they'll increase the security in their keyless entry system. It's certainly something to keep an eye on for the future, thanks for posting.

Agreed. Hackers are always one step ahead of technology

I heard about this recently. I understand the bad guys get the information they need when you use your remote to lock the car. They pick up the signal and use it to unlock the car.

You can reduce the problem at least 50% if you use the button on the door to lock the car. No signal is sent!

I am fond of the live viper idea though.

Short of leaving live vipers crawling around in your car thieves will find a way in.
A slim jim still works and it's a lot easier and faster than hacking the system.

Yeah this doesn't surprise me one bit. 乂ᵒ _ᵒ乂

Adas avatar Ada Agree +1Reply

Anybody can open your car by using a key from another car. It doesn't even have to look like your key. If a key will go in the slot, there is a good chance it will open the door. That is because there are only a few combinations that a key can be cut to and still be strong enough to turn the lock.

Anonymous