CiscoKarpes avatar Music
3 19

Music with an emotional feel is definitely still alive but unlike a few years ago when there was only radio as a medium to listen to it, there is a much more diverse audience who want a visual aspect. This has evolved since the development of MTV and the internet and many musicians and producers choose to combine their musicianship with dancing, light shows, costumes, pyrotechnics and a theatrical approach whether live or in video clips. This satisfies an audience who want and expect all these elements. Plain music is very much alive and well, it's just not all over MTV and the internet because it's been overshadowed by performances making use of the visual aspect. Youtube is an amazing technology for finding unknown and very talented musicians who just play their instrument and don't put on a show.

@OzSurfer Music with an emotional feel is definitely still alive but unlike a few years ago when there was only radio as a...

I feel like putting in so much money into production of a video or stage set just demeans their music.
I wish more people thought like that but people who listen to the popular music nowadays don't care about music as much.
They care more about the "fun" aspect of everything and not the actual music.

@CiscoKarpe I feel like putting in so much money into production of a video or stage set just demeans their music. I wish more...

There is definitely a lot of crap music out there today, but there is also a lot of great music by talented musicians. It's just a case of avoiding mainstream radio and wading through all the commercialised rubbish. I travel a lot and I find much of my new music being played in little cafes or by asking others what they're listening to, searching for styles I like on you tube and even in here when some post music clips

@OzSurfer There is definitely a lot of crap music out there today, but there is also a lot of great music by talented...

It's just sad how real musicians nowadays barely get recognized or any notoriety for actual musical talent.
They always highlight a pretty face and a pretty voice.
Most of the time not even that!
Rappers, EDM, Country, and pop are the main hitmakers nowadays and their music is absolute garbage. It's either whiney or it's party music.

@CiscoKarpe It's just sad how real musicians nowadays barely get recognized or any notoriety for actual musical talent. They...

Actually I think it's a lot easier for good musicians to be heard than it was say 20 or more years ago before the intenet. Back then if a band wanted to be heard, they'd play at their local club to a local audience and if they could afford it they could record a single which they'd also sell locally unless a recording studio thought they could be marketed then would take control of their sound (see the movie The Wonders). But now, they can make a youtube video and be heard around the world. If they get popular from that, national breakfast shows and midday talk shows might give them some free air time. They can easily record their song themselves and put it up for sale on itunes. None of this was possible a few years ago and great musicians were at the mercy of recording execs that would turn them down if they didn't see a marketing avenue for them. This is still the case but musicians have other avenues now. I must say I struggle to understand the appeal of most rap. When I've found one I've liked, someone's' told me it's hip hop lol, shows you what I know hehe smilie I find the radio the worst method of finding good music these days.

The Thing about it is that they have like one popular song per album and dont even care about the others

@TomboyJanet The Thing about it is that they have like one popular song per album and dont even care about the others

One big hit single nowadays can earn these terrible artists a royalty check for the rest of their lives.
They have to write a bunch of songs to give the impression that they're insightful musicians when in reality they make one hit single per album to keep them going.

@CiscoKarpe One big hit single nowadays can earn these terrible artists a royalty check for the rest of their lives. They have...

It's true and in some cases it's not even the artists who write or play the instruments on the songs, they are just marketing for very talented music producers. This isn't new though and has been going on since pop music began.

@OzSurfer It's true and in some cases it's not even the artists who write or play the instruments on the songs, they are just...

I know Elvis didn't write most of his songs, I know The Monkees didn't play their own instruments but their music actually had some feeling and substance to it despite the producers.
Nowadays it takes a team of producers to make one stupid mindless party song and spend thousands doing it.

@CiscoKarpe I know Elvis didn't write most of his songs, I know The Monkees didn't play their own instruments but their music...

I liked the Monkeeys, the way they were put together for the show makes interesting reading. Their own musical contributions and also the production contribution from Boyce and Hart, those two guys were great. The guys in the Monkeeys had talent though, they were just part of a bigger collaboration. That's the thing even these days, very few individuals, write their own material, play all the instruments and produce and engineer their creation, it's a collaboration. I don't see anything wrong with that. I think people see a person singing a song and expect that they've done everything but there's only a few in history that have done that, Prince was one and had to be encouraged when he got famous that he didn't have to play every instrument in his recordings. I worked in a recording studio as a session guitarist in the late 80's and it was amazing to see how someone with an idea for a song and an acoustic guitar would play it for the producer and then he'd start to put a production together fix some issues with the middle eight, get one of us to come up with some ideas for a solo, try out different bass players until one had the sound he was looking for etc. The original artist had the original idea and sound, but the way it become an actual song was a collaboration directed by the producer with at times, a random collaboration of musicians. I felt privilaged to take part in some great music sometimes. There were some failures though and some frustrated musicians who didn't like the direction the song was being taken.

It's sort of like sex.

Sex is terrific. But nothing compared to sex with a girl!

Budwicks avatar Budwick Disagree 0Reply

You never saw James Brown live, did you? Michael Jackson? Pink Floyd? It all adds to the experience Cisco.

Budwicks avatar Budwick Disagree 0Reply
@Budwick You never saw James Brown live, did you? Michael Jackson? Pink Floyd? It all adds to the experience Cisco.

I LOVE JAMES BROWN! I LOVE MJ. Pink Floyd is good too.
They all have one thing in common, real passion to their craft

I'm mainly talking about modern music.
These mainstream pop artists spend more time focusing on what the performance looks like instead of what it sounds like or what emotions they're trying to convey.

Spot-on. Modern mainstream music is more about quantity, not quality...

Music is a subset of entertainment these days. You can still find music in the format you prefer.

Anonymous