One reason I was drawn to drumming is that it gave me an outlet for my angry aggression, it's been good for my mental health. What instrument would be good for you? Why?

When I was four, my mother (just passed a week or so ago) asked me if I wanted to play the guitar, I said "No mommy, I want to play the drums!" A week later I got my first lesson and was a natural right out of the gate. It made me feel so good and still does. All of my negative feelings leave and I feel power, relief and happiness. I'm pretty sure music does that to some degree even for those who don't play it themselves. Consider it; it's fun and it makes you feel good.

Image for post One reason I was drawn to drumming is that it gave me an outlet for my angry aggression, it's been good for my mental health. What instrument would be good for you? Why?
25% Drums 38% Guitar 0% Bass 0% Keyboard 38% Other
JerryHendricksons avatar Health, Beauty & Fitness
4 37

The triangle. 乂^◡^乂

The demon the your mind will rape you in your bed at night. Tinnng!

A little less than half of an average high school band class are drummers. My band leader said it's because a drum makes exactly the same sound for a beginner as it does for an expert. But I never believed it was that simple.

@SmartAZ A little less than half of an average high school band class are drummers. My band leader said it's because a drum...

It is certainly not that simple; your belief is correct. also, you either have it or you don't. You have to be ambidextrous with your hands AND feet, a clock because you're keeping track of the time, spiritual because you have to give the song its heartbeat. Other instruments have different qualities that are just as important. The human voice is also an instrument.

@2492934

If it's a matter of convenience, harmonica is the answer. You can keep it with you wherever you go and play whenever it suits you. I got a "How to play the Harmonica" book just to learn the basics a long time ago and now I've got it down well. Start with a "C"; they only cost about $10.

@2492961

But you CAN get really dark on the keys. It's just therapeutic in a different way; you can just close your eyes and escape into your own world on the keys.

@2492971

I can never find a male singer with a voice that can hit the notes in that song. I've done it in a few bands with a female singer. Boston and Deep Purple have good songs for you to learn.

@2492983

I'm just a half-ass keyboard player. I can play the intro to "Perfect Strangers" and a bunch of stuff that I just wrote myself but I can only be the drummer. I was in a band as the singer about 25 years ago and the entire time I was just yearning to play the drums so, that didn't last long.

@2492993

I agree! Fanfare for the common man is so much fun to play, it was one of the first songs I ever played (drums) in a band and it just has this amazing energy

@2493070

Yes, they are talented musicians, but it's great when you find a song you really like and it's simple to play. Most of their songs are quite complex

@2492983

Do you play along with other musicians?

I would love to play guitar... It can be a soft and moody instrument...which can suit my mood.

Great post Jerry, I started off playing drums and found I picked it up quickly although I could keep a strong straight beat in time, I felt I lacked the musical ability to put the right fills in the right places in a musical sense and I take my hat off to a good drummer that can, but I ended up taking up guitar and have stuck with that ever since. To answer your question on which instrument for health reasons, I found that singing has helped me with anxiety, I think it's the focus on breathing. I was never a great singer although I did backing vocals in the band but it does make me feel better.

@2492994

I woud love for my head to be banging around between your ..errr cymbals/breasts

@2493059

Sounds like a fun thing to do with your son, Marky. I can just see the two of you going at it...:)

Guitar and bass guitar. Definitely good for my mental health.

Anonymous