+10

Do you fish? If so, where and for what? Do you eat your catch? If you dont fish, what is your favorite fish to eat? Exclude shellfish.....

I used to fish in the sounds on the east coast for flounder. And...oh yes, i ate them. But my favorite was going to deep water for grouper, my very favorite fish.

Now, i fish for walleye, eat those too. As well as bass, white fish, crappie, perch.

I catch and release trout, dont like them.
Salmon either, unless its smoked....

Carlas avatar Animals & Nature
13 62

My favourite fish only exists in a small area of the world.. which is the south coast of australia. It's called King George Whiting and it's so yum. It's not overly expensive only because most people don't know about it except the locals. If it ever caught on overseas and became a delicacy, the price would skyrocket. Also, for some reason it loses it's special taste and tastes like other fish when frozen, so eating it fresh along the coast is the only way to go.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_George_whiting

@OzSurfer My favourite fish only exists in a small area of the world.. which is the south coast of australia. It's called...

Shhhhh

We have smelt, they run and people dip for them. Your link says they are related. But our smelt are small and a bit oily for my taste.

Carlas avatar Carla Agree +3Reply
@Carla Shhhhh We have smelt, they run and people dip for them. Your link says they are related. But our smelt are small...

hehe smilie i've never heard of smelt but they must be distant cousins because i don't like oily fish and king george whiting are clean and fresh and best of all don't have a fishy taste which puts me off most other fish.

@Carla Me too! Thats why im not a trout or salmon fan Do you get grouper down there?

Exactly, me either. Yes I think so but I think I've been spoiled with King George and I find most other fish too fishy... yes weird i know hehe smilie

@OzSurfer Exactly, me either. Yes I think so but I think I've been spoiled with King George and I find most other fish too...

Not weird, tastes are tastes.

Try grouper if you find it fresh, if you have the opportunity
Not fishy, rather meaty.
It is quite good

Carlas avatar Carla Agree +3Reply
@2493358

cod is good if you can get it fresh. I find it gets fishy when frozen. Holds up nicely when grilled.....

Carlas avatar Carla Agree +2Reply

I love to fish, but haven't been for about a year. We fish in some lakes in my state. Mostly catfish, crappies, bass, but we don't eat it. I also like to go deep sea fishing, and catch whatever I can. Nothing big yet.

I live in Colorado. For the most part, when we eat fish, it is from a can or the frozen foods department.
Now and then I'l go fishing in a small lake or pond. I like catfish and trout. I have simple tastes....

@2493417

Perfect car for it.
I cant remember the last one i saw????

Carlas avatar Carla Agree +2Reply

I fished once but was disgusted at the fish flopping at the bottom of the boat. Poor fish.

I like perch and rainbow trout. Of course LOBSTER which isn't a fish but worthy of mention.

@Sukiesnow I fished once but was disgusted at the fish flopping at the bottom of the boat. Poor fish. I like perch and...

Perch is yummy.
Love to catch trout, but release them. Too fishy for me.
My father started me fishing when i was very little. Soo, learned to love it because he did.

Carlas avatar Carla Agree +3Reply
@Carla Perch is yummy. Love to catch trout, but release them. Too fishy for me. My father started me fishing when i was...

We have a lot of perch in our pond but I always thought there were just too many bones for the effort.

@JustJimColo We have a lot of perch in our pond but I always thought there were just too many bones for the effort.

When they are big enough, i think its well worth the effort. But only if its clean water.

Carlas avatar Carla Agree +2Reply
@Carla When they are big enough, i think its well worth the effort. But only if its clean water.

I'm thinking about stocking the pond this summer. I've been talking to the State Wildlife Biologist for some ideas. We have plenty of fish but I'd be curious what other kind of fish I could add. (safely)

@Carla If they are the right species it can be good for the ecosystem

That's why I'm in touch with the State Wildlife Biologist. <s> I've also been talking with the local game warden. Trying to find a trapper who would like to come in and trap out a bunch of coons. The game warden said we have a big problem with them. (They also kill and eat a lot of fish)

@JustJimColo That's why I'm in touch with the State Wildlife Biologist. <s> I've also been talking with the local game warden...

They will overrun. I hate to see animals trapped, hope they do a livetrap, relocate. But, know that isnt always an option

Carlas avatar Carla Agree +2Reply
@Carla They will overrun. I hate to see animals trapped, hope they do a livetrap, relocate. But, know that isnt always an...

I've live trapped before and took some about 30 miles away but that is just passing on the problem to someone else. Coons can do some serious damage. Again. without natural predators to keep the population in check and in balance, we have to do what it takes to manage the population correctly.

I eat wild caught salmon that I buy at the store since it's good for you, but I'd much rather have my flounder, red snapper, or red fish all fresh caught from the Gulf the day I eat it.

I do love to fish, and I do eat what I catch (unless I accidentally catch a mackerel). I like to fish for trout and catfish in freshwater, and my favorite ocean fish is halibut.

Yea, mostly fresh water fish, mostly fish for bass..but i'll catch whatever is biting..

I don't really care to eat fish..

@2493399

You need ro go with someone who is a fish whisperer.

Carlas avatar Carla Agree +1Reply

When I was a little kid, my Grandpa used to take me out on the lake at sunrise and catch a stringer full of perch, come home and clean them on his special workbench in the yard and Grandma would cook them up for dinner, so that became my all time favorite. But now, fresh perch is hard to find on restaurant menus, so I settle for any good whitefish they might be offering. Sometimes around here they offer something they call pickerel, which is good also (but I've been told by fish experts that it's really probably walleye).

When I was a young lad my Grandpa would take me out fishing. I might have enjoyed myself if I got to shoot at the fish with a gun. He would take us out on Lake Ontario and we would just sit there and fish for what seemed like hours and hours.

@PhilboydStudge When I was a young lad my Grandpa would take me out fishing. I might have enjoyed myself if I got to shoot at the...

Do you know that Lake Ontario is very deep? There are earthquakes happening in the bottom all the time, apparently....

On Amirite.
For compliments.
Because I am so ugly, stupid and insecure xp smilie

Seriously, I like fishing trout in the mountain waters

@2493878

No, but over here we behead the poor creatures before we devour them.
I know.. Viking savages no smilie

@Carla Oh, but fish cheeks ARE quite tasty

Oh, well.
My cat agrees. I never tried it myselfhehe smilie

@2494243

I thought we were speaking of fish..heads??

Carlas avatar Carla Agree +1Reply
@beachbum I remember have fresh speckle trout - it was really good.

Love to catch them.
Just not my favorite to eat.
Those i set to freedom

Carlas avatar Carla Agree +3Reply
@Carla Love to catch them. Just not my favorite to eat. Those i set to freedom

Lots of folks do that. Me, I don't like to fish - maybe if I ever caught anything I'd like it, but I think it boils down to that I don't have the patience. Sure love to eat 'em, though.

I neither fish nor eat them. When I was tiny, my dad would bring me along for fishing trips and I'd "catch" leaves floating upon the water.

Trishs avatar Trish Disagree +3Reply

don't fish, but I love eating fish, I enjoy halibut and salmon as well as ling cod, and gopher, black sea bass, and Opah My favorite though is Louvar which is the tastiest fish I have ever had, it melts in your mouth, and is so tender it makes halibut seem tough.

Oh I love to fish but can't do it from a boat. I go to a little forestry to do mine where they have bass, blue gill, channel catfish and redear sunfish. I don't eat what I catch, I either let it back in or donate it to friends.

I could spend all day fishing. It is so relaxing. This is where I love to fish.

@Lil_Princess Oh I love to fish but can't do it from a boat. I go to a little forestry to do mine where they have bass, blue...

What a beautiful spot. I would have no trouble spending the day there.

Hey....how you feeling??

Carlas avatar Carla Agree +3Reply
@Carla What a beautiful spot. I would have no trouble spending the day there. Hey....how you feeling??

Oh that place is so peaceful.

Thank ya for asking. Feeling sore as all get out but doing good for the most part. Takes me a good 20 minutes to get out of bed to do my walking. I have got more sleep in a 24 hour period than I have my whole life. Takes me a minute to process some stuff but that is improving.

@Lil_Princess Oh that place is so peaceful. Thank ya for asking. Feeling sore as all get out but doing good for the most part...

Sleep is good. Body needs to regenerate.
Walking is good too.
Just allow yourself to be out of order.
So happy all is well.......

Carlas avatar Carla Agree +3Reply
@Carla Sleep is good. Body needs to regenerate. Walking is good too. Just allow yourself to be out of order. So happy all...

Plus my four kids have reminded me how truly blessed I am at home. The three still living at home that are 14, 10, & 8 have been taking great care of me.

@Lil_Princess Plus my four kids have reminded me how truly blessed I am at home. The three still living at home that are 14, 10...

You must have taught them well.
So good that you are not on your own.
Kids give what they get........

Carlas avatar Carla Agree +3Reply
@Carla You must have taught them well. So good that you are not on your own. Kids give what they get........

Oh that is so true they sure do. My youngest made me cry when I got back yesterday. She said "mommy you always take care of us when we don't feel good, now we are gonna take care of you".

I used to fish---and I was quite good at it. I also ate what I caught or released it. Now that in older, my admiration / appreciation of "life" now precludes me from personally killing for food. (Of course I don't live in the wilderness.) But I have no problem with eating fish I buy at the grocery store.

Anonymous