+8

Lets talk about the opioid epidemic. Do you think if physicians were less apt to prescribe strong narcotics for pain, the problem would be less widespread?

Carlas avatar Health, Beauty & Fitness
8 20

When I went for a follow-up with my doc after going to the hospital in Dec. My doc had a major fit because I was prescribed narcotics without his permission. I use to be addicted to pill about 20 years ago.

I have to be in a great deal of pain to take them. I have a them now but I called my doc to tell him what they hospital gave me but I guess they had already contacted him to get permission this time. I will probably end up flushing most of what I have.

I use them responsibly now but back then I didn't & sure wish I had never took them in the first place.

@2493693

Ya know I never thought about that. We do have a small clinic here that I will call & ask if they take donations like that. If they can help someone in need I would gladly donate them.

@2493700

Well I am glad ya mentioned it. Its is worth asking about. I know I personally ain't gonna take that many. I am going to see if they can take all the other meds I am currently on too

@2493685

There are more white upper and middle class people addicted to opioids then any other group.

Or so ive read.....

@2493880

Here too.

All the heroin users that were in the place i was in young white twentysomethings.

Most had decent jobs and most started with pills.

Their troubles upset me more then my own...

@2493618

I went to a pain clinic for 16 years.
To my meds as directed.
When my insides started to object, i decided it was time to make a change.
Course they tell you "you arent addicted, you are dependent" NO, you are addicted.
It took everything in me to get off of the large doses of narcotics i was on.

In the end, i had to go to a detox place.
Just couldnt reduce the last step on my own.

I met just too many young people who were in there trying to kick heroin, most started with precription meds. Its is sad.
The drugs coming across the border afe just feeding habits that were mostly started my docs

Carlas avatar Carla Agree +1Reply

If a Dr didn't prescribe a strong narcotic for severe pain, like kidney stones, what would be an alternative solution. We are back to, damned if you do, damned if you don't.

@JustJimColo If a Dr didn't prescribe a strong narcotic for severe pain, like kidney stones, what would be an alternative...

Short term, in small doses.

If you want truth, ibuprophen works almost as well.

Im in pain 24/7. But theonger you takes narcotics thae stronger dose you need. Its vicious

Carlas avatar Carla Agree +2Reply
@Carla Short term, in small doses. If you want truth, ibuprophen works almost as well. Im in pain 24/7. But theonger you...

I agree that powerful pain meds should only be a short term solution.
I disagree that ibuprofen works almost as well.. LOL It's great for small aches and pains and even minor inguries, but it doesn't do anything for things like kidney stones, the pain after some major surgeries, or broken bones.

When I have an injury like a broken ankle, or just go through surgery, like a gall bladder removal, I want something strong for that first day or two. After that, ibuprofen generally is all I use.

Where the problem comes from, is from those who abuse it.

@JustJimColo I agree that powerful pain meds should only be a short term solution. I disagree that ibuprofen works almost as...

Sorry jim, not all do

I was prescribed increased dosages of opioids for many, many years.

I never abused them. I was given them for a purpose. And used them accordingly. When i decided to end the use, because of internal troubles, they (the doctors) tried to convince me to continue their use.

I was adament. When i started the process of weaning myself off the meds, i got down to a point that the withdrawl symptoms were unbearable. I could have stopped them as i had enough meds to kill a herd of elephants.

When i called upon the doctor for advice, they had none. They are very good at weaving the web, very bad at unravelling it. My sister had to find a place to help me.

Thank goidness for that.
I detoxed for 11 days. Thats all it took. My physolical problems are often at the forefront of my life. And some days are very difficult. But i have zero desire to mask it with those meds again

Others arent as lucky.
Their doctors prescribe pain meds for too long. Patient becomes addicted, doctor cuts them off and to the streets they go.

I know from experience that that addiction is a powerful force.

Of course many do abuse them from the get go. But much of our countrys problem starts in a doctors office....

Carlas avatar Carla Agree +1Reply
@Carla Sorry jim, not all do I was prescribed increased dosages of opioids for many, many years. I never abused them. I...

There are some Dr's who have you come in, take your money, just give you a prescription, and send you on your way without looking at fixing the problem. Those are the ones to stay away from.

@JustJimColo There are some Dr's who have you come in, take your money, just give you a prescription, and send you on your way...

Still goes deeper then that.
There are alternatives that the medical profession just refuses to recognize.

There is no kickback from a massuese or yoga, or even cannabis.

People, like me, want immediate relief and trust their doctor and the doctors your doctor refer you to.

It basically comes down to...people need to educate themselves on what is,available and the consequences that come with an illness or condition.

There are many options and all fixes dont come in the form of a pill

Carlas avatar Carla Agree +1Reply
Anonymous