+8

How important is knowing someone's age on here?

Image for post **How important is knowing someone's age on here?**
Sukiesnows avatar Life
8 40

I'm 52, just in case it's important to any of you. You can all post your ages here, unless you're SCARED! O.O

@JerryHendrickson I'm 52, just in case it's important to any of you. You can all post your ages here, unless you're SCARED! O.O

Oh I have no problem telling people I am 21 hehe smilie

Just kidding I am really 38 and I have no problem telling people that either. Age is just a number and really doesn't mean a thing. I wouldn't care if someone was 21 or a 101.

@JerryHendrickson When I was 13 you were just a gleam in your daddy's eye!

Heck my oldest brother just turned 56, my sister just turned 55, and my other brother will be 51 in April

@2513405

Omg...I would be impressed too :)

@Sukiesnow Why do you say SCARED... ?

Because many people will not give away their age.

@JerryHendrickson Because many people will not give away their age.

Some people might be more private around some things... There are people who won't tell you how much they weigh, or how tall are you.

There is some thing as judgment.

@Sukiesnow Some people might be more private around some things... There are people who won't tell you how much they weigh, or...

I was joking with the "unless you're scared" comment, which is often mistaken with typed words. There are no facial expressions; you can't hear the tone of someone's voice. I am not serious at all times.

@JerryHendrickson I was joking with the "unless you're scared" comment, which is often mistaken with typed words. There are no...

I know, Jerry...but just to put you on the spot for a moment...here's what I've come across as far as judgments:

I've gotten judged for let's say: Wearing glasses...either being too tall or too short, too active or too non athletic, not loosing 10 pounds, living in a big city as opposed to the country, and vice versa, lacking certain interests in the sex department... You name it...

The glasses thing which was scarring as a teen, also the weight thing... I've been told: You'd be really attractive if you could lose the glasses and 10 lbs...more than 5 times. Contacts were too expensive for our family at that time and weight: what can you do when you like beer and partying?

Just FYI...

@Sukiesnow I know, Jerry...but just to put you on the spot for a moment...here's what I've come across as far as...

Glasses never bothered me and 10 extra pounds if far more appealing than a skeleton girl who starves herself.

@JerryHendrickson Glasses never bothered me and 10 extra pounds if far more appealing than a skeleton girl who starves herself.

You are referring to yourself...but when you are a 13 year-old teen (girl) it is a bit different....

I've noticed in replies most people refer to themselves instead of other people...or: here's a thought...how about taking the time to comment on both yourself and how other people might feel...

What do you think?

@Sukiesnow You are referring to yourself...but when you are a 13 year-old teen (girl) it is a bit different.... I've noticed...

When I refer to myself and how I see things, it is meant as an attempt to make others feel better about themselves. It's like I say something nice and you're acting as if I did something wrong.

@JerryHendrickson When I refer to myself and how I see things, it is meant as an attempt to make others feel better about...

Yes... I agree... It does get complicated when you are typing someone about feelings especially...

It's really nice that you attempt to make others feel better about themselves... Sometimes, tho, you have no control over how what you say is being perceived..

The more people perceive your pure intent...the better...

I am sorry if you thought I was acting as if you did something wrong... You are amazing.

Never assume a poster is talking about themselves.

Sometimes I am. Sometimes I refer to what I've heard and understand about other people... Sometimes it's just a question. Sometimes it's something I'm curious about.

It's not always clear Jerry...try not to jump to conclusions. The only time you can be sure I'm talking about myself is when you ask me a question and I answer it.

@Sukiesnow Never assume a poster is talking about themselves. Sometimes I am. Sometimes I refer to what I've heard and...

" I've been told: You'd be really attractive if you could lose the glasses and 10 lbs...more than 5 times. Contacts were too expensive for our family at that time and weight: what can you do when you like beer and partying?" That's what you posted a couple of comments above. Who else would you be talking about?

I know your intent is friendly... But so is mine.

First of all: what did you say that was extremely nice? And, what did I say that gave you the impression that you did something wrong?

Perhaps we ought to both reread what we typed and leave it for another day... Huh? Bud?

It's just nice to know if age in number matters to you or not.

For me, it doesn't really matter.

I find knowing someone's age before I get to know them, there's a tendancy to make assumptions. I'd rather just get to know them and hear what they have to say.

@Sofia Haha.. did you make assumptions about me?

hehe smilie not at all, I didn't know your age first biggrin smilie

@OzSurfer not at all, I didn't know your age first

Lol, I was expecting you to say yes xD I was looking forward to see what kind of assumptions it was hehe smilie
hug smilie

Edit: And I just realised... I have no clue how old you are. Sorry

@Sofia Lol, I was expecting you to say yes xD I was looking forward to see what kind of assumptions it was...

Haha I was wanting to make a joke... like I was going to say, you seemed really mature so I was guessing 97, but I thought on here someone might think I was serious hehe smilie

Honesty I don't feel that it is really important at all. If someone wants to know my age, I will happily tell them.

I never know peoples age unless they say it or they have a picture. I have like this thing that makes me not want to know

Does age matter? Yes and no. Does it matter in an open forum when posting opinions? Probably not so much, but it does give some insight as to why a person may have certain opinions or perspectives.
Age doesn't matter much in anonymity.
Although age may not matter any more than, where someone lives, what they look like, do they have kids, what they do for a living, and any other in a long list of questions, it does become something that is nice to know when developing a friendship. (It provides insight as to what experiences in life they have gone through.)

Not my business.

There's probably the odd occasions it might help to give a better perspective of someone's opinion but I don't find it's that important really. 乂º◡º乂

Adas avatar Ada Agree +1Reply
Anonymous