Mariannes avatar Music
6 18

Not a big fan of Valentines Day. I don't need a day set aside where I am expected to by romantic, just as I don't need a day set aside to call my Mom. Also, doesn't it seem a little silly to have a day for romance predetermined? You will be romantic... now. smile smilie

@PhilboydStudge Not a big fan of Valentines Day. I don't need a day set aside where I am expected to by romantic, just as I don't...

It is like Christmas, Easter, Mother's Day and many other celebrations: Every day should allow moments of kindness, joy and humour and not be only dedicated to business and consumerism.

Here, at our latitudes, the seasonal St. Valentine's flower might be the witch hazel, Hamamelis mollis, the forerunner of spring:

or, in South Europe, the "mimosa", Acacia dealbata:

It's a 'holiday' promoted by florists, jewelers, candy makers and card publishers. Teddy Bear companies, PJ's and lingerie joined the parade more recently I think. everybody suggesting that if you buy their product, 'you gonna get you some!'. That's all for amateurs.

Us pros, (and I see some familiar names that have already said the same kind of thing) ensure that our Sweetheart is reminded of our love and respect everyday, several times a day. When it's real, it's effortless. And shows in a million different ways. You can't buy the kind of things I'm talking about, and if you could, you couldn't afford them. Yet, most of 'em are free!

I mean, How much does it take to put the newspaper down, look at your spouse and listen when he/she is talking to you? Or to make certain you set aside some time everyday to spend time with your family. No big complicated deal, no planning, no expense - just BE with them, be available physically, verbally and emotionally. No kidding, for me, it's the best part of everyday. (Although weekend mornings are pretty good too, when Mom wakes up we all pile into bed with her - me and the pups.)

@Budwick It's a 'holiday' promoted by florists, jewelers, candy makers and card publishers. Teddy Bear companies, PJ's and...

Bud, LOL Us old-timers also know how our spouses kind of like another "special" day. :) If it makes her happy... then I'm happy. (It's worked for us for 40 years so why change it.)

Happy Valentine's Day everybody... Such as it is...

Most people only get romantic when they're horny...

I like Valentine's Day not for the usual romantic reasons. My son was born on Valentine's Day.

@2497783

Yes, the commercial pressure can be quite inappropriate, but, sometimes, such events can be inspiring.

I don't see Valentines Day as a "the" day to be romantic, or show affection to someone you care about, any more than I see Mothers Day or fathers Day as "the" day to honor your Mother of Father. It's something we should do "every" day. I do like the idea though and see it as a day to remind ourselves just how special those people are in our lives. Sometimes, we forget to show it or say it as the years roll by.

Anonymous