What is an odd fact about your locality?

A popular freeway beautification element in Arizona is the bougainvillea, pronounced "bo-gun-vee-ya". https://www.google.com/search?t...nvillea+floweris named after a French ship captain who is not remembered for any other reason. It is thought that a woman actually discovered the plant. She was disguised as a man because women were not allowed on ships in those days, and that is how she became the first woman to sail around the globe.

Image for post What is an odd fact about your locality?
SmartAZs avatar TV, Movies & Theatre
4 30

BOSTON,MA....home of baked beans,clam chowda..paul revere, killing witches and the NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS.....plus a whole lot or things I don't like

Indiana is the actual home of the first baseball game on May 4, 1871 in Fort Wayne the very first professional game had occurred.

Santa doesn't get letters in the North Pole they actually come to Indiana to a little town called Santa Clause Indiana. I ain't been there in years but I loved going there with my grandma

90% of the worlds popcorn comes from Indiana in fact Orville Redenbacher, was born in Brazil, Indiana

Thank ya for this amazing post biggrin smilie Can't wait to read what others share.

Pikes Peak, (14,100 ft) which I can see from my window, was never climbed by Lt. Zebulon Pike. He made some enlisted guys climb it, but it's named after the Lt. Life isn't always fair.

Indiana, home of the Pacers basketball team, home of the Indianapolis Colts, home of the Greatest Spectacle in Racing....the Indianapolis 500 Mile Race.

The poet James Whitcome Riley. Birthplace of James Dean, the movie star.

Also what Lil_Princess said.

This is where stephen king lives weird enough for ya haha

@2498661

Rochester, NY has it's own famous dead heroin addict - Philip Seymour Hoffman.

We have "spirit bears" aka Kermode bears in the area. They're basically black bears that are white, but not albino.

@Maze We have "spirit bears" aka Kermode bears in the area. They're basically black bears that are white, but not albino...

WOW I like the thought of bears but still am very frightened of them. I read about your white bears very interesting.Now I will be worried one might come eat me up hidden in the snow. cool smilie

@LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred WOW I like the thought of bears but still am very frightened of them. I read about your white bears very...

Unless you live in Northwest British Columbia, you'll never see a Kermode bear. Even if you did live here, there's a strong chance you'd never see one because they're quite rare. Bears hibernate in the winter, so you're very unlikely to see any bear in the winter.

Black bears can be dangerous, but normally they're quite timid and will leave if they suspect humans are around. Grizzlies are apex predators, so they're a little bolder, but they prefer to be far from humans and are generally only found in the back country. Polar bears are known to hunt humans, but they're not found this far south.

@Maze Unless you live in Northwest British Columbia, you'll never see a Kermode bear. Even if you did live here, there's...

I am in Maine the wolves came from canada into maine so why not a bear. I think it could happen, maybe not likely.

@LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred I am in Maine the wolves came from canada into maine so why not a bear. I think it could happen, maybe not likely.

Black bears maybe, I'm not sure, but they're fairly common. The Kermode is only found in a relatively small area on the other side of the continent, so the odds of one showing up in Maine are basically nil. No need to worry about that one. :)

@Maze Black bears maybe, I'm not sure, but they're fairly common. The Kermode is only found in a relatively small area on...

Maze OK seems i won't be outside again for months anyhow. Certainly not near the woods too much snow to even walk the dog right now. A black bear is easy to see right nowjolly smilie

Our town is famous for our annual Tournament of Roses Parade and Rose Bowl football game. We are also located within easy driving distance of the ocean, desert, mountains, and big city .... all in one day if you like. a smilie

The person who wrote the original pledge of allegiance, a Christian Socialist minister is from my town. The original version was a bit shorter:

I pledge allegiance to my Flag and to the Republic for which it stands, one nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

There is a stone that comes out of lake michigan, called a petosky stone.

Only found on the north eastern coast of lake michigan.

Also, you can stand about anywhere and be no more than 3 mikes from a body of water

It is against the law to kill a camel in Arizona.

@2498993

They were fun to read when i was a kid. never knew it was from the 40's no wonder it was so simple.

Only in the state of Indiana

It is illegal to sell cars on Sunday.

No one may catch a fish with his bare hands.

A three dollar fine per pack will be imposed on anyone playing cards in Indiana under the Act for the Prevention of Gaming.

It is against the law to pass a horse on the street.

My city Derry, Ireland. Is famous for the place where the british soldiers took over our streets and killed dozens. How unfortunate we are famous for bloodshed and not peace. They still roam here to this day. It was called Bloody Sunday, there is a full movie on it. It happened in the 1970s.Image in content

Anonymous