Let's give credit where credit is due. The Trump Administration has withdrawn the U.S. from the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP). This was an important and positive action taken by the new administration.

Image for post Let's give credit where credit is due.  The Trump Administration has withdrawn the U.S. from the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP).  This was an important and positive action taken by the new administration.
38% Don't Know 0% Don't Care 63% Other
PhilboydStudges avatar Jobs & Employment
7 14

Why is that a good thing? I've always thought there might be some benefit from being in a Universal Group.

@Sukiesnow Why is that a good thing? I've always thought there might be some benefit from being in a Universal Group.

The TPP elevated corporations over governments. If a government made a decision that cost a company money, they had the right to sue for damages.

'Trans-Pacific Partnership could prevent clearer food labelling – health advocates'

Under the free trade deal, a foreign company could sue the government if sales dropped after labelling was introduced, says the Public Health Association

https://www.theguardian.com/aus...alth-advocates

@Maze The TPP elevated corporations over governments. If a government made a decision that cost a company money, they had...

I don't know whom I hate more...gov'ts or corps.

So...belonging to TPP means preventing clearer food labelling?... How is preventing good food labelling a good thing? Esp with us having the French labels...

So a company in Spain could sue us if ...well...that would determine how much and if the company they were suing were, well worth it...c'mon there are so many other complexities...

Thank you Maze...for making the attempt and I can catch more of a glimpse of it now. :)

Time will tell.

Both candidates promised to get rid of the TPP, but I'm pretty sure only one of them meant it. It looks to me like Trump is doing his level best to keep his promises, I admire that. If Obama had kept his promises, I'd still be a fan, but he didn't, which lead me to believe he was nothing but a new salesman for the same old agenda.

Whoops. I seem to have blown away the Agree and Disagree buttons. I can be such a noob.

I don't even know what the TPP is.

vegans avatar vegan Don't Know +2Reply

I've read a little about it - there's up and downs, a lot of people in favour and against it.

I guess wait and see what happens is the best I can say in this situation.

Sofias avatar Sofia Other +1Reply

now whats the difference between this and the WTO