Trishs avatar Jokes & Humour
10 24

I've had it maybe about 8 or 10 times in my life. It's where I wake up but I can't move my body or even breath and am filled with panic trying to move.

It seems like it goes forever but first I begin to breath, then get control of a hand then arm, then try and push myself... i think if I can get the shock of rolling off the bed my body will come to life. I try and yell but I can't make a sound. My heart pounds, then within a few seconds I'm moving and perfectly fine. I leap out of bed so glad to be able to move.

I have noticed that this only ever happens when I sleep on an overly soft mattress or, am way too warm, like when someone turns the A/C off and I'm under blankets etc. I've also been told that people who drink heavily can have it happen to them.

OzSurfers avatar OzSurfer Yes, i have +7Reply
@2509281

I read somewhere that it occurs as a result of your mind waking up before your body does. Apparently your body is anesthetized as you sleep, or something like that, so that it can rest, and is normally brought out of that first before your mind becomes conscious. But certain things can cause it to be out of order for some reason.

I only read that on the internet so it might be wrong but it seemed to make sense.

OzSurfers avatar OzSurfer Yes, i have +5Reply
@2509291

Hopefully it never happens to either of us again. Firm bed, cool room etc is what I try and arrange now.

OzSurfers avatar OzSurfer Yes, i have +3Reply
@OzSurfer I've had it maybe about 8 or 10 times in my life. It's where I wake up but I can't move my body or even breath and...

I definitely had not been drinking with that experience. It makes sense though because alcohol effects the body so much.

Trishs avatar Trish Yes, i have +3Reply
@Trish I definitely had not been drinking with that experience. It makes sense though because alcohol effects the body so much.

Yeah, usually if you drink you don't dream at all as it affects your sleep cycle... so I read.

Sleep paralysis is the worst thing. I stayed in a 5 star hotel a while ago that unfortunately had a very soft mattress and I was so concerned about having a sleep paralysis episode, that I slept on the floor.

OzSurfers avatar OzSurfer Yes, i have +4Reply
@2509289

LOL yes! I think I said the same thing at the same time you did biggrin smilie

Most hotel rooms have great beds, but occasionally there can be a bad one.

Yes a coma and being conscious would be a nightmare!!

@2509302

You are right! Also there is a lot of misinformation so I am always cautious in what i post as being true.

@OzSurfer Yeah, usually if you drink you don't dream at all as it affects your sleep cycle... so I read. Sleep paralysis...

between sleeping on the floor and seeing that "dude" on top of me again, i'd also choose the floor

Trishs avatar Trish Yes, i have +2Reply
@Trish between sleeping on the floor and seeing that "dude" on top of me again, i'd also choose the floor

Yes, that dude sounded scary to me. The way you described it sounded like an episode of True Blood gone wrong. Yes the floor can be quite comfortable if it has soft carpet.

OzSurfers avatar OzSurfer Yes, i have +2Reply

One time, I "awoke" with a demonic/ vampire looking creature on top of me. It had milky white skin, glowing red eyes, which were staring at me , it had two sets of fangs, the inner ones longer than the outer, they swirled like unicorn horns and were very sharp. I could feel weight on me, but more than that, I could feel its hatred and evil toward me. We stared at each other, and I got so scared I "woke up" to actual reality. However, unlike a normal dream...I saw my bedroom exactly how it was in real life. The lighting, the way the moon was thru the windows, everything. I got up, frantically searching because I truly felt that thing had been there and was still around waiting for me.

Trishs avatar Trish Yes, i have +5Reply

I never have..

DandyDons avatar DandyDon No, I have not +4Reply
@DandyDon I never have..

Good! Not something that's fun to experience

Trishs avatar Trish Yes, i have +7Reply
DandyDons avatar DandyDon No, I have not +3Reply

I have. When I'm having a bad dream and I know I'm asleep but am trying so hard to wake up. It's terrifying.

Several times, and it's quite terrifying. My experiences have been very much like OzSurfer's......waking up and not being able to get air in my lungs, or barely move.

Piper2s avatar Piper2 Yes, i have +4Reply

It's called something...mono-nucleosis.... Something like that...

It happens when someone has a lot of anxiety...and can lead to automatic jerk-like-motions....

Sukiesnows avatar Sukiesnow Yes, i have +2Reply

Yes, and it is horrible. I can hear things being said and done around me, but I can't move.

I was wide awake. I couldnt move. I could hear a voice laughing as I struggled to break out of it. I got scared and more determined and when I broke out of it I punched my boyfriend on accident and woke him up.

Jaxxis avatar Jaxxi Yes, i have +1Reply
Anonymous