Biblical Series: Question 1: Why are there two Genealogy lists that conflict with each other in Genesis, and which one is the real one?

In my attempts to understand the Bible I want to get answers from devout Christians and Jews if there are any, on the many questions I have. I have to wonder why they would give two different ancestry lists here that, while some are similar names, some may be different ways to say these names, there are clearly some errors here.

Image for post Biblical Series: Question 1: Why are there two Genealogy lists that conflict with each other in Genesis, and which one is the real one?
TomboyJanets avatar Religion
2 10
@2510892

I'm talking about the conflicting lists in genesis. Also can you explain the difference in literal and legal geneology?

Why do you care?

@Maze Why do you care?

I'm studying it objectively. It's good to be knowledgeable of a book that drives the thinking of half the world in some way. Wouldn't you say? Just because I don't believe it's a literal truth doesn't mean it doesn't fascinate me in a cultural and historic context

There is a Documentary movie that came out called, IS GENESIS HISTORY? It might answer some of those questions you have.

There are 2 geneologies because Abel did not have descendants- the male descendants filter down from Cain and Seth. Many think they had different fathers, Cains being satan after Eve" ate the apple "because he killed his brother. So they are both the real ones, just different,...and confusing because the same names are used for different people of different generations...

The real one starts with Bonobo.