TomboyJanets avatar Politics
5 21

Well, the founders of the Constitution thought so.

It is the ultimate defense against tyranny, by government or by individuals.

@2514442

Oh, heck, they knew that five or six hundred years ago, if not before. biggrin smilie

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L%27homme_arm%C3%A9

@2514547

Well, admittedly, it isn't exactly a volta. biggrin smilie

However, the Dufay mass based on L'homme armé is a masterpiece.

I believe we should be able to defend ourselves because I am a rape victim, and it pushed me rightward on this issue. However we should do our best to keep them out of the hands of the mentally ill, criminals, and suspected terrorists. I also believe that we should increase penalties for illegal weapons trade.

@2514314

I am reminded of an anti-gun newspaper that published the names and addresses of all legal gun owners in New York some years ago.

The newspaper editorial staff quickly hired armed guards when THEIR names and addresses were published on the internet.

Hypocrites.

@2514371

Yep.

And typical.

Human rights and civil rights are not the same. They often overlap, but they're not the same.

I think gun ownership is more a civil right - one granted by government.

@Budwick Human rights and civil rights are not the same. They often overlap, but they're not the same. I think gun...

Perhaps, but the boundary is blurry.

In the Declaration of Independence, ' life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness' are stated to be self-evident (i.e., axiomatic) human rights, that come from our Creator. And then it goes on to say that humans have the right to throw off tyranny by whatever means, including armed revolution if necessary, to preserve these rights. The implication regarding a right to access weapons, it seems to me, is clear.

@Thinkerbell Perhaps, but the boundary is blurry. In the Declaration of Independence, ' life, liberty and the pursuit of...

I couldn't agree more! That is why I believe we must never, ever allow the government to tinker with this right to bear arms.

It's not a civil right or a human. It's a Constitutional right that applies to American citizens.

Nobody in America should have a gun. Not military, not police, not hunters, collectors, NO ONE! We should all just get along.

I avoid this topic because I have not met anybody who knows what a right is, or what might be the difference between God given rights, Constitutional rights, human rights, civil rights, women's rights, and on and on. But everybody thinks their opinion is a law of the universe. Maybe it is, but not if they don't know what they are saying.

SmartAZs avatar SmartAZ I don't do this issue 0Reply

The Second Amendment and the Inalienable Right to Self-Defense.

Natural rights are those that are not dependent on the laws or customs of any particular culture or government, and therefore universal and inalienable (i.e., rights that cannot be repealed or restrained by human laws).

Of Course! It's right in the Second Amendment to the Constitution! But then, obviously there should be laws with restrictions for certain people not to possess guns, e.g. convicted felons, mentally ill, non-citizens, and all liberals who are anti-gun (including their personal security guards).

Anonymous