+7

Credit where credit is due: Texas, under Rick Perry built a great infrastructure that produces 60,000 KWh of green energy, mostly wind. Now the Secretary of Energy under Trump, let's hope that means less dependence on oil and coal for the rest of the country.

VicZincs avatar
5 17

The only thing wrong with that Vic, is that Trump has promised the coal miners more jobs????

@StarzAbove The only thing wrong with that Vic, is that Trump has promised the coal miners more jobs????

From what I am hearing the mines are opening but the owners have automated the process and are not re- hiring the workers. It was just another ploy to reward the 1% .

@VicZinc From what I am hearing the mines are opening but the owners have automated the process and are not re- hiring the...

That is so wrong to get their hopes up, just so Trump can pat himself on the back and make himself look good.

While 2 coal burning plants are planning to shut down.

The problem with those promises is, in 4 years, or even 8, trump will be history.

Those places look to long yerm viability.
Those promises could only be what they are.......empty.

Carlas avatar Carla Agree +2Reply

May want to suspend said credit and do a bit more reading on the matter. Not being insulting, but seriously.

I'm in Austin. I can tell you, of a truth, they only created the sustainable energy because the legislature forced it as a companion to deregulation of the energy sector.

From my understanding it went like this... They wanted to deregulate the energy sector to open it up to competition, but the legislature could only push that through if energy companies provided 'X' percentage of sustainable energy. *Since then the sector has exploded. Here in TX you can not only choose which energy company you want as a provider, but also a price plan. There are even community co-ops.

Where the true credit for its success lies is perhaps, a matter of 'interpretation ;)

@VicZinc Good to know

Don't get me wrong, it is pretty damn awesome. The community co-ops are outstanding. We can even purchase energy 'blocks' to further minimize costs and the sustainable energy has served us well. I would only point out that they didn't exactly do it voluntarily. lol

That is encouraging, vic.

Carlas avatar Carla Agree +1Reply
@2516679

Agreed, geographical conditions don't always allow for it. At some point along the way, some states would wind up subsidizing others.

@VicZinc We are all in this together

Well, I don't think it's so much a matter of not seeing that way, but it does present its own set of problems.

Here in TX, it's incredibly windy, windiest place I've ever lived. The waterways to, the way they're spread throughout the state couldn't have been as well planned had a human don it. lol (That said, the Colorado River sits atop the most endangered rivers list in the country.)

So it offers a unique opportunity that wouldn't necessarily exist in other sections of the country and figuring out how to extend the model into those regions would be an arduous process... not exactly where our govt. excels, you know?

@VicZinc True but I must hope

I do too. I didn't know how to act when I suddenly had options for energy, it has been a nice change. I think the rest of the country deserves that as well.

Anonymous