Have you ever had to give a pet away?

doctorwho1011s avatar Animals & Nature
10 13

No, I'm sure it's a horrible feeling when that becomes necessary. I have had to make the choice to put down an ailing pet ... that's a terribly painful experience too.

@JanHaskell No, I'm sure it's a horrible feeling when that becomes necessary. I have had to make the choice to put down an...

We had to make that choice when my second dog got too old and she couldn't move. She was in pain, because of her back legs, so my parents made that decision. It's not an experience I look forward, ever again cry smilie

When I was a child and my father got stationed to Germany again, our dog and my cat were not permitted to come along. I pleaded with with my dad, of course, to no avail. I found out that Tomdaisy the cat went missing, from the friend who adopted him. :(

Other than that, I've never given away one of my own animal friends. I've found other homes for many of lost or abandoned ones that I've taken in, though.

Not exactly. This is one of those smaller-than-life issues, that I remember from my childhood. I was six years old and my brother caught a wild rabbit, so it became my pet. Mysteriously, two weeks later, the rabbit died. And even more mysteriously, the following day, we ate the rabbit. Some part of my little boy's mind keeps telling me, there is more to this story than meets the eye. Damn conspiring relatives.

No,thank God.I never would.It's like giving your child away.

No,And I never would.Would you give your child away?

I have to do that this week and it is rather heartbreaking sad smilie

🦋