You're running a fever, been up all night puking, and then are expected to travel to your doctor's for a Work Note. What is wrong with this picture?

So, feeling like death, after travelling, you get to spend 1 hour in the Waiting Room...merrily spreading all your viruses and bacteria around...to see the doc...just to verify that you are, indeed, sick...and to get a note for which s/he charges you 20 bucks...plus expensive antibiotics.... Life is good. And did I mention that it was only Monday?

Image for post **You're running a fever, been up all night puking, and then are expected to travel to your doctor's for a Work Note.** //What is wrong with this picture?//
Sukiesnows avatar Health, Beauty & Fitness
9 28

There is a website....dont know the name, that you can go on, and get a dr's note emailed to your work. Dont know if it works there.
Bet you could find it

@2524462

That is exactly what it is

@2524470

Perfect.
And maybe most the place can have
my germs and by wednesday, you can close your doors for the week:))

@2524422

Come on ....surely you know that your doctor is part of this deal... They stand to make $150 bucks...or whatever OHIP is forking out these days....

Everyone wins except for the poor sick idiot.

@2524428

Nowadays...that is the procedure in most jobs...

My neighbour...dizzy and vomiting...had to take public Transit to see her dr. just to get a damn note...for work...

And not everyone has a fax.....

Yes, I totally see your point. Sick leave certificates are still mandatory here for full time employees. However many people are now only being hired on a casual basis, so they aren't entitled to paid sick leave.

Most of my office are employed on a casual basis.

Last winter, there were a couple of days when over 75% of the staff on my floor (about 80 people) were off with the flu. The management had been urging anyone sick to stay home, but without sick pay, people were forcing themselves to come to work and it ended up decimating the work force for about 2 weeks.

@Sukiesnow Some ppl can't afford to stay home....

yeah with so many government taxes, socialist government regulations making things so #@$%#@ expensive, makes it hard to miss a day of work.

@Anonymousmouse yeah with so many government taxes, socialist government regulations making things so #@$%#@ expensive, makes it...

It's not just taxes, rents in my are are so high and if you live on your own like I do nearly three quarters of my pay goes in rent.

@OzSurfer It's not just taxes, rents in my are are so high and if you live on your own like I do nearly three quarters of my...

yeah, thats because of government regulations and taxes again, how can your rent be 3/4 of what you make when taxes themselves are at least 50%? the math does not add up. maybe your rent is 3/4 of what you make after the government steals your money. then it would add up/

@Anonymousmouse yeah, thats because of government regulations and taxes again, how can your rent be 3/4 of what you make when taxes...

Taxes aren't 50% of my rent, much of the issue is that home investors have no incentive to buy and rent out properties, as negative gearing (tax cuts for them) and other incentives have been cut so their margins to invest in rental are really small. This means there is a high demand in rental so the few that do rent out can charge a lot more. It's actually capitalism and not socialism that's driven the high prices although I do think our income tax rate of around 30% is too high.

Do business make you get the note? From what I've seen, they give you so many sick days and you get to use them.

@Zolfie Do business make you get the note? From what I've seen, they give you so many sick days and you get to use them.

These days you have to account for every fucking hour that you are sick... And we ALL know most flus take about a week to go thru the bad part.

I am still expected to go to work even on my deathbed. It almost killed my boss the two weeks I was off. I know cause the second week he called me to complain he was having to work hehe smilie

Please re-write your question.

@Bluejay Please re-write your question.

Okay. Why are there such stringent rules around phoning in sick these days? In the corporate world, especially.

That's why any acute illness lasts for at least 2 days.

nothing, if people didn't abuse what they are given maybe they wouldn;t need a doctors note, b\

Requiring a doctor’s note is annoying yet due to people crying wolf and faking being sick, it becomes necessary. Get people to never lie and maybe it wouldn’t be a thing.