Stupid PC Gets ESPN Broadcaster Fired

Doug Adler was doing play-by-play commentary for Williams' second-round match against Stefanie Voegele, saying Williams was playing more aggressively after Voegele missed serves. After Voegele faulted on a serve, Adler described Venus as moving in and charging with a guerrilla effect. Of course the PC police heard "gorilla effect." Even though the words gorilla and guerrilla are pronounced exactly the same the PC police assumed that Adler was comparing Venus to a gorilla instead of playing with aggressive guerilla tactics. And, the guy lost his job over it! Tennis experts use the term “guerrilla tennis” to describe aggressive play often. Airhead Twitter freaks launched a campaign against the broadcaster and ESPN caved.What a bunch of assholes - and I don't mean that in the nice way!

Image for post Stupid PC Gets ESPN Broadcaster Fired
13% PC Is Getting So Tiresome 25% I Dislike PC 13% I'm a guerilla and I'm OK with that 25% I'm a gorilla and I'm ok with that 25% Other
Budwicks avatar People & Celebrities
7 17

Its crazy when someone loses their job over something like that. If they were consistently known for being racist, sure there's no place for them but like everything PC gets taken to extremes.

OzSurfers avatar OzSurfer I'm a gorilla and I'm ok with that +3Reply

As a grease monkey, I take exception to that. Black features and white features are a result of evolution: black people are evolved to handle an environment with lots of sun, white people are evolved to handle an environment with little sun, but we all originated from common ancestors in Africa, so none of us are more closely related to other apes. And if the people who got upset didn't actually believe we were, that remark wouldn't be offensive to them, regardless of whether he said guerilla or gorilla. So whether the announcer is racist or not, the people complaining about it definitely are, whether they're consciously aware of it or not.

Ignorance strikes again. He should not have been fired because of other people's ignorance. ESPN would do well to educate their listeners instead of allowing them to wag the dog. ESPN has now become Especially Stupid People's News. If I could get them out of my cable package, I would do it in a hearbeat.

I am so tired of everyone having to change the way they talk so someone doesn't get butthurt...ono smilie

Lil_Princesss avatar Lil_Princess I Dislike PC +1Reply

What is wrong with choosing your words wisely?

@2524733

Don't know. Doesn't seem like it.

@2524753

Based on the little I know seems like a rather severe penalty. But I don't know the back story. I have had a few employees that I was just waiting for some stupid move to fire because without a 'good reason' they would likely sue for wrongful termination.

@VicZinc Based on the little I know seems like a rather severe penalty. But I don't know the back story. I have had a few...

Wait, - what? You want to fire some people, but don't have good cause, and you're waiting for an opportunity to make something up when something stupid happens?

You're in a position to hire / fire - seems like something stupid already happened.

Anonymous