Are you an empath?

71% Comment 29% Other
Mashas avatar Relationships
13 39

I seem to become one when performing a massage session. My intention is to feel the pain(not experience it, just be aware of it) and to relieve it with a sympathetic touch. It works extremely well.

@2535003

Well elaborate. I find the subject fascinating.

@2535040

Wow! That's got to be a nightmare sometimes!

@2535040

That being said, it must be that everyone is an empath to at least some small degree. Your empathy is a lot more than most people. At least I get to help people; you have to feel everyone's pain as your own kind of thing? That's terrible.

@2535045

I think that you had better surround yourself with good and positive people then. No assholes allowed! You don't feel their physical pain also I hope.

@2535040

I agree with that. I spend a lot of time alone because I can't cope with the feelings of people around me for too long and if someone is stressed I can pick up in it from the other side of the room. People often tell me to relax and not stress but it's just I'm stressed from the multitude of others feelings. Sometimes it feels like a wall. I love the ocean because it has its own unique feeling and personality. It's hard to explain that to anyone. People at work think I'm crazy because I go to remote places on my own.

@2604246

I find the same thing, people with issues want to talk to me about them, often people I've only just met and sonetines I find myself asking someone whats wrong when there seemed no logical reason to ask.

I don't know if you have this too but some of my senses seem overly heightened, so hearing is so sensitive that sounds that are just loud for most people really hurt. Also I'm really sensitive to food, so a bad diet adversely affects me very quickly but alcohol and smoke I can't cope with even in small quantities. A half a glass of wine occasionally is the most and perfumes and colognes musky I find overwhelming either in a good or bad way even when others can't smell them. It's hard to even have friends when social environments are mostly stressful. That all probably sounds totally crazy I guess eek smilie

@2604400

I seem to be just the same as you, with the exception of the electrical system issue. Also I find physically touching or being touched by others mostly really uncomfortable but with the right person it then becomes overwhelmingly good to the point where holding hands can feel like being on a real high. That made dating really difficult when I was younger as I didn't understand it. All these things have also affected my fight or flight response, ie my adrenaline system and the long term issues of periods over a racing heart rate with no physical way to alleviate it has caused me to have a heart issue called Attrial Fibrillation which is basically an irregular heart beat. I used to be on a beta blocker for it but I've managed to work out how to control it naturally now, well in most cases, just by recognising potential situations to avoid or to prepare myself for, but it can still happen occasionally, like being caught in a confined space with lots of noise etc.

@OzSurfer I seem to be just the same as you, with the exception of the electrical system issue. Also I find physically...

Hi,
I'm curious to ask (same question I just asked to Bozette):

How differently does this sensitivity act when you are interacting with people online, in text form, rather than in person?

@primeiro Hi, I'm curious to ask (same question I just asked to Bozette): How differently does this sensitivity act when you...

It's pretty much the same. It can become very stressful very quickly especially with those with very stressed or agresive personalities.

@OzSurfer It's pretty much the same. It can become very stressful very quickly especially with those with very stressed or...

Interesting, I thought it would be usually less intense via text. Thank you for the answer. :)

@primeiro Interesting, I thought it would be usually less intense via text. Thank you for the answer. :)

Sometimes more, sometimes less, it depends. Always pleased to answer your questions :)

@2535040

I'm curious to ask:

@2604497

Thank you. :) That is indeed surprising.

I would not call myself an Empath, however, there are some characteristics I share with Empaths, ie;
I know when someone is not being honest.
I do look out for the underdog.
Others a times want to offload their problems on me. [I do not accept - one reason why I would not call myself an Empath.]
I love of nature and animals - typical of Empaths.
I'm a good listener - Empath trait.

I like antiques - something Empaths avoid for fear of taking on previous owner energy.

Good question!

I suppose I'll go with no on this one. It's not uncommon for me to not be able to understand my own feelings. No sense in trying to pretend that I truly know what another is going through.

Yes.

Not often
Mostly a sympath

@Masha

I'm empath to a certain degree. I especially feel it around toxic people. In that sense it's a blessing because I know who to stay away from.

Yes. I am ultra sensitive and avoid people outside of work. It is exhausting to feel so much.

76Mays avatar 76May Comment +2Reply

Actually yes I am. Its exhausting.

Jaxxis avatar Jaxxi Comment +1Reply

Yes, I am

Trishs avatar Trish Comment +1Reply

No, I'm a pathologist. I know the best way to go anywhere.

Yes very much so, it helps me to deal with people, if I want to do it. Like in office I can tell immediately what kinda day my boss is going to deal out to us.