Just curious. Many of us have traveled to other countries for vacations, but how many of us have really explored our own countries and what they have to offer? What is it about your country or area that you would recommend to a traveler?

A few years back, I realized that while I've lived in, and traveled to many places in the world, there is so much in my own country I haven't seen or experienced. I think the rest of my vacations will probably be taken exploring the US. I was surprised when I've met foreign tourists who haven't seen some of the attractions in their own country that I traveled thousands of miles to visit.

Image for post Just curious. Many of us have traveled to other countries for vacations, but how many of us have really explored our own countries and what they have to offer?  What is it about your country or area that you would recommend to a traveler?
JustJimColos avatar Travel
13 32
@2538481

Thanks. Sounds like we have the same plan... in a few years..

Love this question! A few years back while living in the suburbs, I decided to take the kids on a vacation to 'the city' which was only like 20 miles away. We had visited for ball games and special events but never intensely visited like a vacationer might do. We got a nice hotel room down town and had an absolute blast for five days discovering our own 'home town'!

@JustJimColo Who would have imagined what you might find just down the road a bit.

Exactly! We found a lot of historic stuff we never heard of before, and now we all are better than average - showing visitors around our home town. It was a very positive experience.

@Budwick Love this question! A few years back while living in the suburbs, I decided to take the kids on a vacation to 'the...

Yes that can be fun. I had a guy from London visiting and we did all the tourist things. Funny thing was I usually knew more about the city because I was the one to type all those histories for the city to file away. Still was fun.

POTD.
And i never say that

I have never traveled outside the United States, but have done a lot of vacations here in the states. I've been to all the New England states, many beaches along the East Coast, have spent many vacations in Florida, been out West to the Tetons, Alaska, Hawaii, some of the western states, only been to CA waiting for a plane. We have a big beautiful country that everyone should see.

Good post, Jim!

I have only been on a short trip to mexico.
All of my exploration has been in the us.
There is more to see here than a lifetime could absorb.

My area is a tourist magnet.
Lakes michigan and superior.
The upper penninsula
Endless numbers of forests, rivers and smaller lakes. And a usually snow covered winter.

This is only one state.
So many more, with so much to experience

I have never travel outside of the US but at some point I plan to travel just around the US but that is still a few years away.

Great post 🦋

I always recommend the part where this country was born.

The beaches. There are a lot like this, took this pic yesterday. Also the shark thing is a bit over rated. Most people die caught in rips and dragged out to sea without ever seeing a shark lol

Everyone thinks that where I live is amazing but I don't think much of it, but when I go to other places I think their amazing but to the people who live there its nothing special.

I never got an opportunity to do much traveling.

This is a great question, no wonder it beat mine to POTD. :D

Finland... Well... It's a bit difficult to say, because different people have different interests. Perhaps the most obvious point for coming here is the nature, thousands of lakes and midnight Sun in the summertime. I wouldn't recommend the winters, though, as they are quite horrible these days. It's either raining or just below the freezing point, so we get more ice than snow.

If you have never eaten reindeer meat, it's something you should try out. Great meat, not stringy like a moose and tastes completely different. If you are into weird sports, we have a lot of silly competitions, showing our insane sense of humor. We have everything from swamp football to throwing a rubber boot and even farting world championships. I swear, I am not making this up.

So, to sum it up, we're not just a bunch of drunken wannabe rally drivers, but weird, drunken wannabe rally drivers. :D Welcome to Finland. Bring your own helicopter.

We all know wat India-my hometown has to offer to travellers!

In Arizona it is against the law to kill a camel.

The army brought several camels to haul stuff through the Arizona desert. Of course a few wandered away from camp, and they lived in the desert for a while.

The army also brought an experienced camel jockey to take care of them. His name was Hadji Ali but he was and still is known best as Hi Jolly. You can visit his grave in Quartzsite.

Quartzsite is also the "rock capital of the world". The population of 3,500 grows to 350,000 in winter, many of them selling or buying gem stones and pretty rocks, the rest selling souvenir tee shirts and the usual flea market stuff. The peak of the season is February.

https://www.google.com/#q=Quartzsite,+az+rock+show

Anonymous