Is this our governments problem?

Career politicians are in it for themselves. The work in office should be more like jury duty, but with terms. It would put the power back to the people. The parties have to go...we all know the donkey elephant show is a sham. Behind closed doors its "us and them" according to Hilary, and they get it. Lobbyists need tobe shown the door. They hurt the "checks and balances" system we have (had) in place. Special interest and big business do not have Americans best interest in mind. What do you think, because its not just a "President" thing...

75% All those are valid problems 0% Some but also this.... 0% Way off, government has a different problem 0% Its the Lobbyists 0% Its the career politicians 0% Its the parties....they said "divided we fall!" 25% Other
Jaxxis avatar
2 9

The two parties that dominate our politics are responsible for the terrible presidential candidates we have had to choose between. The parties do more harm than good.

Politicians need campaign donations to win elections, which makes them beholden to the donors. It's pay-to-play. Term limits, ending Gerrymandering, somehow limit the effects of the Citizens United ruling.. would all help to curb this corruption.

Great post.

PhilboydStudges avatar PhilboydStudge All those are valid problems +2Reply

Elected officials should agree to live at the poverty level for the entire time they are n office. No special treatment, no perks or stipends, no expense accounts.

They should get medicaid for their health insurance. Food stamps for their meals. Welfare checks for their pay. Not one penny more. If they take so uch as a free cookie at a banquet or fund raiser they should be jailed for corruption.

Then we'd see what kinds of laws they pass.

VicZincs avatar VicZinc All those are valid problems +1Reply
@VicZinc Elected officials should agree to live at the poverty level for the entire time they are n office. No special...

I'd have to disagree here Vic. I think we need to pay good money to attract good talent. (But only for up to two terms.) If we continue to elect stupid or corrupt people, our country will just continue in the death spiral. Good people don't come cheap. They never have.
The problem isn't in the pay.... it's in the corruption and lack of accountability for that corruption. Mandatory harsh sentences should be in place for corruption, including forfeiture of assets and long jail time.

I also think we should polygraph all politicians and judges on three questions. 1. Are your allegiances to the US and no other country? 2. Have you taken or received any money or other compensations by individuals, companies or foreign governments to support their agendas? 3. Do you swear to support and defend the Constitution of the United States and faithfully represent the wishes of the voters from your state?

Members of the military have to go through a poly to have access to certain materials or to do certain jobs. (Trust through verification)

@JustJimColo I'd have to disagree here Vic. I think we need to pay good money to attract good talent. (But only for up to two...

I get that most people believe as you do. My experience is many very smart and capable folks are not motivated by money.

You get what you measure. If we measure a person's worth by how much money they can attract we get people that attract money. If we measure their worth by the ideas they generate we get people who generate ideas, and if we measure them by how they care about their fellow citizens then we get folks who care about their fellow citizens.

You're right it's not that they are over paid, it is that they see the job as a way to earn influence.

VicZincs avatar VicZinc All those are valid problems 0Reply
@VicZinc I get that most people believe as you do. My experience is many very smart and capable folks are not motivated by...

Although I think there may be a few people out there who aren't motivated by money to run for Congress, I'd suspect that in most cases, it is because those are the ones who already have it.

You said we get what we measure, and that if we measure a persons worth by how much money they can get, we attract people who attract money. That's both true and false. I want to "hire" these people at a "fair" wage, not a basement discount rate. If you are very lucky, at most, you get what you pay for. If they don't get a fair wage, and they have the marketable skills, 99% will move on. If we are "hiring" these people, I want them to fight for fair wages for others as well.

I think electing anyone to congress who claims to be an idealist working for the good of the people, and isn't interested in money and power is a fairy tale. Many of them talk the talk but none walk the walk. Can you give me some names of people currently or recently in congress who meets the criteria you put forth?

(Not trying to slam you here Vic, just exchanging thoughts)

@JustJimColo Although I think there may be a few people out there who aren't motivated by money to run for Congress, I'd suspect...

I hear you. Short answer, no.
But because we as humans do not value people who don't value money.

You said they would move on if we didn't pay well. I agree - we probably won't need term limits. After they satisfied their desire to do good they would move on.

I don't really know if any of the founding fathers were in it for money/influence/prestige but we are lead to believe that, although they were already rich landowners they did it for principle not for glory.

If anyone today is doing it for principle they are not likely to get elected.

Term limits would help - a lot!

It's all about corruption to gain both wealth and power.

Why would any individual spend 1.2 billion dollars for a job that pays 400K? It would take 2,500 years just to break even. Of course if you are using other peoples money, money becomes no object. Of course those "others" did not give you 1.2 billion out of the goodness of their hearts. They expect a return on their investment.
I'm not just talking about the presidential race here. I am talking about ALL political races, all the way down to the small town mayor. Politicians and judges over the past 50+ years have made it virtually impossible for them to be held accountable for their corruption. Judges used to be the arbitrator between two sides to make sure the law was equally applied to everyone. Today, judges make up their own laws and discard laws they don't like, to advance their personal agendas and line their own pockets.

Until we have accountability for politicians and judges, it's only going to get worse. The sickening part of this is that the politicians and judges are the ones who make the rules, and they have made themselves exempt.

Anonymous