StarzAboves avatar Technology
15 84
@2543486

I agree, I'm wondering why they didn't ask someone else to give up their seat and offer them more money. It seemed to me they were focused on that one guy.

@StarzAbove I agree, I'm wondering why they didn't ask someone else to give up their seat and offer them more money. It...

When I first heard that story it was something about they had paid him to give up the seat and he got back into the seat anyhow. I think overbooking will be ended soon,If it is too expensive and inconvenient customers won't fly united at all. I have only delta here so no worries for me. .

No it has yet to happen to myself and I've never seen it happen either. As far as the United story...it does say in their fine print that a passenger can be removed due to overbooking. But the way it was handled? No way...there was no need to go that far.

@KvotheSavien No it has yet to happen to myself and I've never seen it happen either. As far as the United story...it does say...

You're right, it shouldn't have happened that way. I don't understand why they didn't ask someone else, but they seemed to want HIM off of there for whatever reason. I guess the cops just wouldn't take no for an answer.

@StarzAbove You're right, it shouldn't have happened that way. I don't understand why they didn't ask someone else, but they...

Yea I'm not understanding that myself. Best guess I have is the principle of it. He agreed to terms when he bought his ticket. If he says no why should the next passenger say yes? If he was really that uncooperative in leaving they should have found a better way to get him off. From what I saw the man never attacked them (I could be wrong of course).

@KvotheSavien Yea I'm not understanding that myself. Best guess I have is the principle of it. He agreed to terms when he bought...

I've flown a lot but never knew if I was asked to give up my seat I would have to. That's news to me.

Evidently he had to get home, they could have asked another passenger and offered him/her more money and I'm sure someone would have agreed.

My niece was coming home from FL just this past week, and she was asked to give up her seat which she did and they gave her $600 and a ticket voucher to ride on another trip. It just seems like they didn't want to negotiate with that guy.

I've never had to give up my seat but someone that was in my seat had to leave the flight.

We were coming home from vacation and our plane was delayed. Therefore, making us late for our connecting flight home. We literally ran through the terminal to the boarding gate. When we got there, they had already closed the doors, but they opened them so we could board. Our seats were given to two women thinking that we wouldn't be using them. The airline asked them politely to leave the seats, those two women weren't happy about it, but they left saying some choice cuss words. As it turned out one of the women was in politics with her assistant. lol

@2543500

How nice of you to do that, and I'm sure she appreciated it very much.

Nope. Dont fly often, though.
Hate it.
United caused a mess for themselves.

@Carla Nope. Dont fly often, though. Hate it. United caused a mess for themselves.

Yes they did. And they will probably be sued because of it. They could have escorted him out, not dragged him out. That's terrible.

@2543489

That's great. I'm assuming you're a pilot with your own planes?

@2543499

I've seen a couple of those planes at air shows. Very impressive.

@2543506

That's great. I love planes and go to a lot of air shows, especially when the Blue Angels or the Thunderbirds are performing. Very thrilling! At one air show we say the Thunderbirds, Blue Angels and the Canadian Snow Birds. What a great show that was.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="YouTube video thumbnailameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

@2543517

I know they are great, I've seen them many times, and it never gets old. We live pretty close to the airport and after one of their shows they flew over my house heading to the airport, I was out in the yard, and they tipped their wings, like they were saying hello. lol

@2543518

I admire anyone that can fly a plane, it's so thrilling.

@2543526

Wow, sounds like a lot of airmen in your family. Those WWII guys had it pretty rough, as does any pilot in the military. .

@2543533

Wow, what a great inheritance.

@2543539

Good for you. From now on we'll just call you Billionaire Rooster! lol

@2543570

Wow, I'm happy for you. I'm sure that plane brought a lot of money.

@2543576

Where did you store your planes?

@2543759

Wow I didn't realize there were that many people who had the vintage planes. I'm sure when selling they can get a hefty price for them.

@2543915

Thanks, I will.

Haven't had to, but did give it up for the perks, and I was in no hurry.

@beachbum Haven't had to, but did give it up for the perks, and I was in no hurry.

I'm surprised someone else didn't take the perks. I've never been asked so not sure what we would do.

@StarzAbove I'm surprised someone else didn't take the perks. I've never been asked so not sure what we would do.

I had been on a few flights where they came on board and asked if someone was willing to give up their seats but never seem them demand that someone give up their seats.

@beachbum I had been on a few flights where they came on board and asked if someone was willing to give up their seats but...

I wasn't never aware of them asking anyone to give up their seats, they might have and I just know about it.

@StarzAbove I wasn't never aware of them asking anyone to give up their seats, they might have and I just know about it.

That was Continental who did that, but I think they merged, or were bought by United - not sure. Just glad I no longer have to fly anywhere.

@beachbum That was Continental who did that, but I think they merged, or were bought by United - not sure. Just glad I no...

It's been a couple of years since I flew, not saying I won't ever fly again, but have no plans in the near future for doing so.

No, but I probably would if asked nicely.

@Plausible No, but I probably would if asked nicely.

I think most people would, but evidently that guy needed to get home. They should have asked someone else instead of putting him through all of that.

I've taken many vouchers to give up my seat. I had one flight from Chicago to Portland Maine that netted me $800 in vouchers AND i got to Portland just 1 hour later than my original flight would have gotten me there.

I've never been forced off of a plane but I have given up my seat a few times when the incentive was a free round trip ticket. The times I did it, there was a only few hour delay until the next flight. Not a big deal to me if I have the time. I don't do it if I have connecting flights. Once when I did it while with a group, their flight was delayed due to mechanical issues and I ended up getting home before they did.

I've been on quite a few flights where mechanical problems were the issue, put on another plane and got home earlier. Even beat our luggage home. lol But I've never been asked to give up my seat. On a flight home from Hawaii, we had chosen front seats with a lot of leg room, we had been in the airport all day waiting for a 6 p.m. flight to Chicago. Some young guy with a baby wanted us to change seats with him and his wife.....I said no only because we were so tired and needed to stretch out for that long flight, but I told him I would take care of the baby. Of course he said no, he wanted our seats. That baby was fine, slept all the way home.

Not even what I would call over booked, since they wanted the seats for their own employees. Their handling of the situation, along with their reasons, is an abomination.

@dru18 Not even what I would call over booked, since they wanted the seats for their own employees. Their handling of the...

That's true. They had to get their employees to another flight so they had to get four seats for them. Surely they knew that before hand. The last I heard was that they offered that guy and his wife $800 each, to give up their seats and they accepted and after they realized they wouldn't get home on time, they denied it. Whether that's true or not, I guess we'll find out soon.

@StarzAbove That's true. They had to get their employees to another flight so they had to get four seats for them. Surely...

He is a doctor and needed to see his patients. He couldn't wait for the next flight, which wasn't until 2:30 the following day.

@dru18 He is a doctor and needed to see his patients. He couldn't wait for the next flight, which wasn't until 2:30 the...

Exactly. That should never have happened. I hope he sues United. No one should be treated like that.

I've never heard of anything like this before. I thought that when you check in, you get your boarding pass with an allocated seat, so there can be no way to over book.. unless I'm missing something?

I also didn't understand why the guy had to be removed if he had a valid booking? If there was a double booking for a seat, wouldn't it be the first person to get the seat, keeps it?

@OzSurfer I've never heard of anything like this before. I thought that when you check in, you get your boarding pass with...

I believe that airlines overbook, every flight.
It isnt as profitable to fly with empty seats.
If people cancel, they have to be assured that the seat is occupied.
So they are collecting from both ends. Non refundable tickets, or surcharges for refunds. AND a filled seat.

And most of the refunds are in airline money, vouchers. So those refunds cost little.

@Carla I believe that airlines overbook, every flight. It isnt as profitable to fly with empty seats. If people cancel...

Wow I had no idea, thanks for explaining. I fly a lot but can't say I've ever experienced it or seen anyone else.

You'd think the check in process where they allocate the seats would pick up the double booking before people got onto the plane.

I also wonder if they compensate you for missing a connecting flight if you are asked to leave the flight?

They overbook every flight from what I've heard, because people fail to show up. Normally that's true, but United had to get 4 of it's personnel to Louisville, KY so those employees could board another flight to service that flight out of Kentucky. They asked for volunteers but no one volunteered, all United had to do was up the price and I'm sure a lot of people would have complied, got off the plane and none of this would have happened.

@StarzAbove They overbook every flight from what I've heard, because people fail to show up. Normally that's true, but United...

Thanks for the explanation. I wondered though, if people don't show up, don't they lose the entire cost of their flight? or does the airline not have a no-show no-refund policy?

I heard about that in the news and they went on to explain that airlines always overbook...something I did NOT know.

I like my plans to go as planned; it would take a large sum of money to dissuade me...plus a nice hotel for lodging.

I wonder how they pick their victim? Pick a person with closed eyes? Pick someone single?

@Sukiesnow I heard about that in the news and they went on to explain that airlines always overbook...something I did NOT...

They ask for volunteers and then when no one volunteers I guess they just start picking someone at random. That doesn't seem quite fair to me. All United had to do was offer more money and there would have been a lot of people getting off and all of that would have been avoided. So now I'm sure there's a lawsuit in the making and United will probably lose millions.

No only because I have never been on a plane. hehe smilie

@StarzAbove Put that on your bucket list. lol

I should lol

My brother just asked me when I was coming to see him...I told him I would as soon as I got a real job where I could take a vacation. I turned in 25 different vacation request today and everyone of them was denied.

@Lil_Princess Only if I want the FBI after me

How can they get away with denying you vacation time if you have it coming?

@StarzAbove How can they get away with denying you vacation time if you have it coming?

I am not sure but he has a good habit of it. He had me convinced I would lose my holiday pay if I took off Monday using vacation, I believed that till I got home crs smilie

@Lil_Princess I am not sure but he has a good habit of it. He had me convinced I would lose my holiday pay if I took off Monday...

It sounds like he's giving you the run around. If you're entitled to a vacation, he can't stop you from taking it.

@StarzAbove It sounds like he's giving you the run around. If you're entitled to a vacation, he can't stop you from taking it.

That is why I am job hunting. He thinks I am playing. I told him today when I stop showing up, he knows I found something.

@StarzAbove I don't blame you for looking for another job, I've never worked for anyone like that....

My last boss was like that too. Only difference between the two is this one comes to work sober.

@Lil_Princess My last boss was like that too. Only difference between the two is this one comes to work sober.

Well I guess that's a plus. lol When I decided to quit my last job, I never told anyone, not even my best friend that I worked with. I gave two weeks notice and I was gone.

I haven't.

Nope my sister travels more than me and she plans on it so she can get a free ride sometime. I am always trying to get to a next flight so I wouldn't want to mess up my planned schedule. It seems aiorlines will need to stop doing that overbooking due to the outrage of customers.