How important is the technical skill in which music is played to you?

Are you one who just likes something with a steady beat so that you can dance? Are you happy with just the techno heartbeat or do you need some dynamics?

Dream Theater - Fatal Tragedy [Metropolis 2000] HDhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRY-HZ5UX3Q
13% Very 47% Somewhat 27% Not at all 13% Other
JerryHendricksons avatar Games
9 33

If I am going to listen to someone play, I want them to have a certain level of competency. It can be a simple melody, which is just as pleasing to the ear as something with a technical rating of 11 on a 10 point scale. Many of the melodies from the 60's were simple yet very enjoyable.

@JustJimColo If I am going to listen to someone play, I want them to have a certain level of competency. It can be a simple...

I always think of Hank Marvin from the Shadows, his melodies and solo's were simple yet amazingly well played and had so much feel.

OzSurfers avatar OzSurfer Somewhat +4Reply
@2545055

"Dynamics" refer to the ability to change what a song is doing. To go from loud to soft, fast to slow, one beat into a completely different one, fancy to simple, whenever a song requires it. So now, you're a little more musically educated!

@2545065

If you want to know more about music, you know where to find me.

@JerryHendrickson If you want to know more about music, you know where to find me.

And bravo for including some DT with this post...you have good taste in music sir.

@JerryHendrickson If I'm going to talk about "dynamics," they're the obvious choice.

Absolutely....Progressive Metal is all about dynamics. Ever listen to Stratovarius?

@KvotheSavien Absolutely....Progressive Metal is all about dynamics. Ever listen to Stratovarius?

I can't picture them but I think I may have come across them at one time or another. Leave a sample?

@KvotheSavien Enjoy. They are amazing.

They remind me a lot of "Helloween," whom I love. Still in the process of listening to it.

@JerryHendrickson They remind me a lot of "Helloween," whom I love. Still in the process of listening to it.

Agreed, they are totally in the same demographic as Helloween.

This is probably their other most well known one.

@KvotheSavien Agreed, they are totally in the same demographic as Helloween. This is probably their other most well known...

Unfortunately, in the band that I'm in, we don't get to play anything like this because the drunken dancing people can't comprehend it.

@KvotheSavien Haha, right, so you're stuck playing stuff like this

We can play some Sabbath, Judas Priest, Zeppelin, and an occasional Rush tune. Megadeth and Metallica, too. That's as far as we can go.

The first one sounds like "Eagles Fly Free" and the second like "I Want Out" both by Helloween. Thanks for this because I needed some new stuff with this particular sound.

It depends on my mood. Sometimes less is more. Other times I want something layered with all kinds of complication. I will say more times than not though it's the technical skill that brings out the jaw dropping moments.

While someone playing out of time or out of tune is mostly a turn off to me, ultimately I'm attracted to a song that has a sound and feel that I like. It can be hugely complex or simple enough for a garage band to play.

An all time favourite band that I like for it's songs, feel and complexity would be Steve Morse and the Dixie Dreggs

OzSurfers avatar OzSurfer Somewhat +6Reply
@JerryHendrickson Cool! I've never heard of the Dregs. Steve Morse is amazing.

My favourite of their albums is Industry Standard. Their singer sang with Santana for a while. All the musicians are amazing. The later "Steve More Band" has also done some mind blowing arrangements.

Just a nice beat... If I had more of an ear for music appreciation then my comment would be different.

Sukiesnows avatar Sukiesnow Not at all +4Reply
@Sukiesnow Just a nice beat... If I had more of an ear for music appreciation then my comment would be different.

We're all different and we're all good at different things. That's why the world isn't boring.

Oh to answer your initial question I also do like techno/electronic music too that's got a good beat, sound to dance to.

I appreciate it.

Great post, Jerry...

Sukiesnows avatar Sukiesnow Not at all +2Reply

In the limo business you always play dumb, but sometimes you have to be pretty clever to play dumb. Passengers ask some really pointyed questions, such as "What kind of music do you like?" I would answer "Whatever my passengers like, which is usually soft jazz." So they would ask "What do you think of jazz?" And I would answer "Well, if I knew more about music I might appreciate it better, but as it is it just sounds like elevator music to me." That always got a laugh. Because, you know, that's exactly what soft jazz is.