How important is the technical skill in which music is played to you?

Are you one who just likes something with a steady beat so that you can dance? Are you happy with just the techno heartbeat or do you need some dynamics?

Dream Theater - Fatal Tragedy [Metropolis 2000] HDhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRY-HZ5UX3Q
13% Very 47% Somewhat 27% Not at all 13% Other
JerryHendricksons avatar Games
9 33

If I am going to listen to someone play, I want them to have a certain level of competency. It can be a simple melody, which is just as pleasing to the ear as something with a technical rating of 11 on a 10 point scale. Many of the melodies from the 60's were simple yet very enjoyable.

I'm not musically educated enough to even know what most of that means. I'm pretty simplistic. If I like it, I like it. Ha!

@Will_Janitor I'm not musically educated enough to even know what most of that means. I'm pretty simplistic. If I like it, I...

"Dynamics" refer to the ability to change what a song is doing. To go from loud to soft, fast to slow, one beat into a completely different one, fancy to simple, whenever a song requires it. So now, you're a little more musically educated!

@Will_Janitor Thanks, J. :)

If you want to know more about music, you know where to find me.

@2545095

If I'm going to talk about "dynamics," they're the obvious choice.

@2545106

I can't picture them but I think I may have come across them at one time or another. Leave a sample?

@2545116

They remind me a lot of "Helloween," whom I love. Still in the process of listening to it.

@2545130

The first one sounds like "Eagles Fly Free" and the second like "I Want Out" both by Helloween. Thanks for this because I needed some new stuff with this particular sound.

@2545130

Unfortunately, in the band that I'm in, we don't get to play anything like this because the drunken dancing people can't comprehend it.

@2545143

We can play some Sabbath, Judas Priest, Zeppelin, and an occasional Rush tune. Megadeth and Metallica, too. That's as far as we can go.

@2545151

We do "Heaven and Hell" and "The Last in Line."

@2545149

Cool! I've never heard of the Dregs. Steve Morse is amazing.

Just a nice beat... If I had more of an ear for music appreciation then my comment would be different.

Sukiesnows avatar Sukiesnow Not at all +4Reply
@Sukiesnow Just a nice beat... If I had more of an ear for music appreciation then my comment would be different.

We're all different and we're all good at different things. That's why the world isn't boring.

Great post, Jerry...

Sukiesnows avatar Sukiesnow Not at all +2Reply

In the limo business you always play dumb, but sometimes you have to be pretty clever to play dumb. Passengers ask some really pointyed questions, such as "What kind of music do you like?" I would answer "Whatever my passengers like, which is usually soft jazz." So they would ask "What do you think of jazz?" And I would answer "Well, if I knew more about music I might appreciate it better, but as it is it just sounds like elevator music to me." That always got a laugh. Because, you know, that's exactly what soft jazz is.