Is it possible for a loving relationship to last despite two people having little in common with each other?

Can love, itself, be enough to conquer differences in interests, views and goals?

LiVis avatar Religion
7 28

I think it really depends on the individuals and what they want from the relationship. If it's just the feeling then I guess it will last as long as the feeling does. If just one of them is looking for things in common to share then it's going to run into problems.

I think so, as long as the things they do have in common are key elements in their lives.

Sure. I got little in common with my sister, but I still love her

@2549257

That's true... yes we do have some things in common

@2549313

Thanks for the great advice, I will do that. I think you're right as well, it is important not to let a relationship slip into codependence or believe that we have to be identical for it to work.

Yes, my husband and I are complete opposites, there are a lot of things that we don't have in common, but we have had a long and loving relationship. Who wants to be with someone that is a clone of one's self.

Good post, Livi!

I would think so....haven't you ever heard the phrase "opposites attract"? It can almost be argued that differences are what strengthen a relationship. I spend enough time trying to get away from myself....I don't want to be married to myself.

@KvotheSavien I would think so....haven't you ever heard the phrase "opposites attract"? It can almost be argued that...

That's a valid point - who wants to be in a relationship with themselves? Sounds dreadfully dull!

@2549317

Thanks for your thoughts :-)

@2549138

Thanks for your input :-)

No. Opposite Attacting only lasts for a while. I'd have to know what their birthdays and signs are.... A Sagittarius and a Pisces should never get married.

Yes but it won't last if there isn't something to bind you together. Marriage is no assurance now.

Yes, but it may or may not take a little more work than expected.