-5

True existentialism should be considered to be a mental disorder, amirite?

"A mental disorder is a syndrome characterized by clinically significant disturbance in an individual's cognition, emotion regulation, or behavior that reflects a dysfunction in the psychological, biological, or developmental processes underlying mental functioning. Mental disorders are usually associated with significant distress in social, occupational, or other important activities." DSM-5

Wunderscores avatar Health, Beauty & Fitness
3 16
The voters have decided that Wunderscore is wrong! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

Well I suppose any sort of thinking in excess can mess around with what's upstairs but as far as a way of thinking actually being a mental disorder? I don't think so.

I resemble that remark

@VicZinc I resemble that remark

Is seeing everything not as equally debilitating as seeing nothing?

Wunderscores avatar Wunderscore Yeah You Are +1Reply
@Wunderscore Is seeing everything not as equally debilitating as seeing nothing?

How so?

unless I misunderstood the existentialist, it's not that they see nothing it that they don't give credence to what they see. But more to the point they don't pin their hopes on anything and they recognize that people who do are inevitably miserable.

@VicZinc How so? unless I misunderstood the existentialist, it's not that they see nothing it that they don't give credence...

With no inherent meaning, everything of meaning that we see is synthetic (government, religion, social codes, language, art, etc.)

Perhaps I'm more accurately describing nihilism, but the two aren't so different

@Wunderscore With no inherent meaning, everything of meaning that we see is synthetic (government, religion, social codes...

Isn't it all synthetic? Once we as humans learned to make bread we stepped into a world of synthesis, it would take an apocalypse to undo that.

Those of us who get the nothing matters beyond the moment can enjoy the moment . Seems that people who don't get that are always trying in frustration to get somewhere instead of wallowing in where they already are.

@VicZinc Isn't it all synthetic? Once we as humans learned to make bread we stepped into a world of synthesis, it would...

Life was fabricated long before that

So why learn, why create, why play into the systems that we have made? Just to pass the time?

@Wunderscore Life was fabricated long before that So why learn, why create, why play into the systems that we have made? Just...

That's why I do it. Biding my time until I crumble back to dust. I pick my activities by what seems like it will be fun. If it turns out not to be fun, I stop doing it.

@Wunderscore fun is something synthetic, too, no?

Probably. That's why I can find it fun to study, learn, work, etc. I likely synthesized my ideals so that I enjoy what others find mundane.

@2550986

apparently quite

Wunderscores avatar Wunderscore Yeah You Are +2Reply

Only clicked 'disagree' because I don't know enough about the subject to agree. Do you mean in the more complex philosophical academic sense or do you mean existentialism as in simply the human experience of living?

LiVis avatar LiVi No Way 0Reply

Debbie downer . I don't believe in mental illness. Only weak mentalities.