We all understand that with each step in the advancement of technology, we lose another slice of our privacy. What do you think of the current privacy concerns when it comes to privately owned drones? A person can be in their back yard sunbathing, with a 6 foot privacy fence and a drone can be hovering overhead providing live pictures or a video feed to the owner. (Or whoever else is tapping into the feed) The law says this is legal.

The law currently states that it is illegal to interfere with, or shoot down a drone. (Although drones have been shot down, nobody has been prosecuted for shooting down a drone "yet".) Have we lost all expectation of privacy in todays world? Drone technology is still in it's infancy. Who knows how far the capabilities will go in the near future. Big Brother, coupled with media, private citizens and even criminals, makes for a scary scenario. Drones can also carry deadly payloads. Will private drones become yet another source of information as they have "eyes on the public", for the government? I'm a little concerned. Are you?

Image for post We all understand that with each step in the advancement of technology, we lose another slice of our privacy. What do you think of the current privacy concerns when it comes to privately owned drones? A person can be in their back yard sunbathing, with a 6 foot privacy fence and a drone can be hovering overhead providing live pictures or a video feed to the owner. (Or whoever else is tapping into the feed) The law says this is legal.
JustJimColos avatar People & Celebrities
6 14

If I personally see it get that bad, i'm getting a drone and arming it..

If you shoot one down, make sure it falls in your yard...burn it to nothingness..

@2554308

That's close.. smile smilie

A shotgun would be effective, but who wants a charge of illegally discharging a gun in the city?

Simple slingshot might be a good alternative.

And of course there's - SkyWall 100 Drone Defence System - A Man Portable and Cost Effective Counter Drone System

I find the mass collection of our personal data much more disturbing than crackpots flying drones over my house. The ramifications could be so much worse.

How does one create no fly zones around your property? You cant

This is really our own fault. By continually putting our business out there, for all to see, we have lowered our own expectations.

Still blaming phil donahue

It should be that once a drone enters your property you own it. How badass would that be

It better not hover my back yard.

I'm sure that, as with all technological advances, new laws will be put in motion to protect citizens against this kind of thing. But the funny thing about our culture of deteriorating privacy is that the sword goes both ways. The eye that sees is also being seen by others. We are living in a surveillance culture. Perpetrators are no longer as anonymous as they once were. People in power are easier to contact through the invention of social media, and we are more globally connected than ever before. For whatever we lose, we gain in other ways. We must accept our ever changing reality and move with the times, lest we struggle in obstinance and comfortable isolation from the world.

I too have mixed feelings about it but there is nothing we can do to hold back time. All we can do is accept it and make the most out of it, and try not to worry too much...

@2576746

Feeling a little butt hurt are you today? I guess when you can't comprehend what you read, someone has to explain it to you.

(As stated above in my original post)
"Big Brother, coupled with media, private citizens and even criminals, makes for a scary scenario. Drones can also carry deadly payloads. Will private drones become yet another source of information as they have "eyes on the public", for the government? I'm a little concerned."

(Does this sound, to a reasonable person, like I support the government doing it?)

@JustJimColo Feeling a little butt hurt are you today? I guess when you can't comprehend what you read, someone has to explain...

thing is, with a private drone, if its invading my space i can shoot it down. if i where to do that to a government drone i would be in trouble

Anonymous