+8

Cops. They have a lot of responsibility...but they don't get enough support. What more support could they use?

You hear about cops who are in the news about taking their power too liberally...and then there is little support for them...they are only human. And: What do they have...a college education? And The job must get to them, too. And They ALL have their own grudges, just like we do: like let's say bicyclists...and these grudges can build up. I say that cops need to take more support groups...to destress their own grudges... It's not easy to be professional in a job that constantly aggravated you. Finally: would you want your partner to be a cop??

Image for post **Cops.** They have a lot of responsibility...but they don't get enough support. //What more support could they use?//
Sukiesnows avatar TV, Movies & Theatre
8 25

When you have an occupation like a cop and you know public support is behind you, it's easier to do your job and there is less stress, and less hostility towards a society, than a society that is hostile towards cops.

A good example was soldiers during Viet Nam, and the hostility they often faced, fed by the media to the public. (Sound familiar?)

@2554609

The return on investment for lobbying for stricter laws must be incredible. Private prisons are a bad idea.

@2554609

I don't think cops are looking for a "reason" to arrest anyone. They can't. Cops don't make the laws, they only enforce the laws politicians at all levels make.

Especially minorities? Are you claiming minorities are too uneducated and stupid to know their rights? Is there a little clause in the laws that says "minorities" are the only ones this or that law applies to? The race card doesn't work here. If you are black, brown, white green or whatever, and you are arrested for committing a crime, it isn't racism, it's the result of committing a crime. Period

I think a LOT of cops would rather give out warnings for things like a tail light being out. It's the politicians who have turned many police activities as nothing more that revenue generators. (Whose fault is that?)

I'm also seeing private prisons closing down here in Colorado.

@2554768

I just did some research and it looks like it has nothing to do with the legalization of pot. Prison populations in Colo have been declining since 2007. They are even shutting down a State owned prison.

As to the show, cops, and them arresting minorities, look at the federal statistics of who is committing the crimes. If blacks commit a lot more crimes per capita than whites, then a lot more blacks per capita need to be arrested.

The problem is that cops are a standing army, their sole purpose being to enforce the will of the legislature. What, you thought they were sworn to protect and serve YOU? They are sworn to uphold the law! When the people revolt, success is unlikely until the police realize that they have to switch sides to protect their families from a government gone crazy. Why else would a sheriff need a tank?

Police officers don't get enough credit. How many of us worry about making it home alive each and every workday? I'm not surprised they rough people up when they don't follow orders.

@PhilboydStudge Police officers don't get enough credit. How many of us worry about making it home alive each and every workday?...

Police need more training and more involvement in the communities they work in.

My mother worked for a police dept for about 15 years, retired from there.
She hated the way the officers behaved when they thought no one way paying attention. Full of themselves and quick to anger. And openly racist. This was in a community of 90 percent white population.

So, yes, there are good cops. But there are many bad ones. It is a magnet for people who need to feel that they have power over others. And there are a whole bunch of people who do.

Carlas avatar Carla Agree +5Reply
@Carla Police need more training and more involvement in the communities they work in. My mother worked for a police dept...

I believe the job of police officer attracts certain personality types, so I agree that many cops love to feel the they have power over others.

My brother-in-law is an officer in Fort Myers, Fl - a notoriously shitty place to be a cop. He says he pulls out his gun on almost every shift. One story he told me: going to a domestic disturbance and rolling up to see a half-dressed man holding a gun to his infant's head and threatening to pull the trigger.

I don't know about how others would do, but I would have trouble dealing with that shit day after day.

Of course I don't condone bad behavior, especially from people in positions of trust and authority. At the same time though.. I have a general understanding of why it happens.

@2554671

I don't understand your perhaps rhetorical question. smile smilie

@2554838

I found this definition for rhetorical question:
A question asked solely to produce an effect or to make an assertion and not to elicit a reply.

The question "are we really that pussified?" certainly makes an assertion, and a negative one at that (people are pussified), making it a difficult question to answer, especially if one does not agree with the assertion.

Suppose you say, "we need to simplify the tax code. Many people have difficulty file their taxes", and the other person responds, "are people really that retarded".

Regarding the issue at hand, cops are not pussified, at least not the few that I have known. I would also suggest that there is a big difference between walking through a bad neighborhood and having to gain control of confrontational situations in those neighborhoods.

@2555346

Thanks for clarifying. I'm totally with you on the unnecessary militarization of the police. I remember seeing a photograph of policeman in Ferguson pointing their automatic weapons at a protester. I could be wrong, but I've heard you should never point a machine gun at a person unless you are ready to shot them.

the how to not shoot first ask questions later support,

also, the how not to be jerks and waste time giving taxes (tickets) to people causing VICTIMLESS crimes

I wouldn't be a cop for a million dollars a year..

I don't know how there are any working right now, with the shit they have to put up with every day..

People want instant justice and in most cases, want to blame the cops before they even actually know exactly what has happened..

Thanks in a large part to the media, who now feel, facts aren't as important as getting a story out quickly..

Maybe we should go back to the wild west days and everybody straps on a gun..

The only law enforcement would be a sheriff and a deputy..

No cops to bitch about..problem solved..

Maybe a show of more public gratitude because of the fact that on any given day if called they will show up and risk their lives for you.

Jaxxis avatar Jaxxi Agree +1Reply
@Jaxxi Maybe a show of more public gratitude because of the fact that on any given day if called they will show up and...

they are everywhere to give tickets, but too busy when your business or home is broken into. kinda hard to show gratitude when our taxes go towards paying highway robbers to find more ways to tax us.

a private company on my block was broken into, police where called, the police said too busy, they didn't come till 4 hours later. yeah some risk of their lives they took there. NOT! they where to busy eating donuts and giving seatbelt tickets

Anonymous